1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. GodDamnHipsters

GodDamnHipsters New Member

Hello everyone. New to the leather boots or just leather in general. I've ordered a pair of Rockfords from FS Fashion and noticed some cracking at the toe. Is this normal or a defect? Not sure whether or not to keep them or to send them back.
    [​IMG]

2. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

3. gnu

gnu Senior member

Question about cleaning my boots, I use obenauf leather cleaner and follow with the lp. After I use the hair dryer to let it soak in I tried to brush them up. I notice every time I do this, I've noticed that the toes turn black and it looks like some grime builds up where I'm brushing. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, any ideas?

Thanks.

4. cinnabar

cinnabar Well-Known Member

Give it more time to absorb. I suggest putting them in a trash bag and let it sit in the sun for a day. I read that on Obenauf's site IIRC and it works great.

5. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Had that happen to a pair of 10" boots once. Altama replaced them but there was about 10 nails in the center of the heals and just don't seem to use them much now. Only for cutting the grass.

6. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Have a pair of black 1000 Milers for a year and still trying to get up to breaking them in. Both bite the top of my big toe and cause a pretty good blister. Sure can't wait until they break in. Any ideas how to correct this flex down onto the toes?

7. chimaki

chimaki Well-Known Member

your boots are the wrong size. if you have issues with length and "flex" on your big toe, your boots are way too small. so long as you're not wearing super thick socks, you need to size up.

8. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

If I'm not mistaken, this is the leather cracking from to much pressure during the lasting of the shoe; same things happens to a shell cordovan shoe around 10:35 in this video. I would send them back.

9. loug

loug Well-Known Member

@Chimaki: Don't think so. Boots seem to be a little long but okay. The rubbing is on top of the foot not at the tip of the toes. Most of my shoes flex like this but these are the only ones that pinch or what ever you want to call it. Probably will stop once they're broken in. Maybe the three mile walk to work was a little too much. Band-aids and Neosporin for now. Planning on using the band-aids as a protection until these break in.

Think the laces were too tight. Went for a mile and a half walk today with looser laces and seems like the rubbing/pinching has stopped. Read somewhere that if the top of the foot is painful the laces are too tight. Stacked senior moments don't help either.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  10. allday

allday Member

Hi, new here but I'm still having trouble deciding on a size for my 1k mile boots after trying them on in store and reading over 200 pages on this thread. My question is: Has anyone come to a conclusion on on the 1 full size vs 1/2 a size down on these boots? I'm wearing medium cushion socks and just ordered some hiking wool socks from Costco. I'm normally a size 9 in palladium boots and chucks and size 9.5 in vans/nike/ various athletic shoes.

I originally bought a size 9 and they were way too loose with plenty of toe space and heel slippage so I went to the store and tried on a 8.5 which had no heel slippage but still had lots of toe room. I then tried on a size 8 which was very snug and lightly squeezed the sides of my foot and the vamp/instep but I still have enough toe room but not enough to wiggle freely like I did on the 8.5, the 8's fit more like a basketball shoe. I feel as if the boot would be perfect in-between 8 and 8.5 but that doesn't exist. I'm wondering if a break in would make a difference with the size 8's, I really like the way my Palladium boots fit so I'm trying to aim in that direction if possible.

So those of you who have had these boots for a while what do you recommend for someone who will be wearing these as an everyday boot?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  11. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I have a US 9 which was fine until resoling made it wider and a size 8.5 which sounds like how the 8 fits you and is still very comfortable. If wearing heavy socks I'd likely go with the 8.5

12. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

13. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Howdy, measure a 12 1/2, usually wear a 13 shoe and boot just to have a little extra room. Have a size 12 1k miler and its just right but not wearing heavy socks. Your feet become larger as you walk on them and because of this I'd select the size 13 if heavy socks were in the picture.

2 people like this.
  14. SaintPrado

SaintPrado Well-Known Member

I came across a rugged pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots at a local flee market for $10 so I snapped them up and took them to my cobbler. I had the idea of putting on a double sole and keep the color natural. After about a weeks use and some Merino Superfeet Insoles I must say that these are the most durable and comfortable boot in my arsenal. A solid keeper...

1. Boots: $10
    2. Re-Sole: $60
    3. Insoles: $15

The feeling of stomping around everything... priceless.:nodding:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. cthip

cthip Senior member

nice find! tell me more about these merino insoles. tell me even more about where you found them for $15!!!

16. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Size 8.5 is what you want. Boots are not supposed to be that tight. I have written about this at great length several times now. If they fit like a gym shoe they are too small.

1 person likes this.
  17. allday

allday Member

Yeah, I read your post on the first couple 50 pages I think if I remember correctly. I was just asking now since that was a few years ago. Thanks for confirming though!

18. llltronlll

llltronlll Well-Known Member

Cranes is incredibly informed, so listen to him. Thats obvious if you read the thread. That being said...

In my opinion, you should size the boot for how you will use it. I am not using this boot like Crane, I am going to use it as a nice boot to wear around. I live in AZ and it wont see snow or rain, and pretty much only sidewalks. I dont need it to fit like a hiking boot, with a large toe box or some heel slip. I want it to fit like a dress shoe and the boot will never see thick socks.... so I went and tried them on, and I sized down a size from my normal dress shoe which is a 43. When sizing, judge them vs something that runs true to size. For me, the 9 fits fine. The heel is tight and there is very little room in the toe box... exactly how I wanted this boot to fit.

This is not how I would fit a boot if I was hiking or hunting, such as Crane does in the boot. However, I prefer synthetics for these activities (sue me :D), so a little tighter than normal fit works for me there also. If you havent noticed, I dont like heel slip and I have a skinny heel with a flat foot, hence why I am often running a smaller size than would technically be recommended for me. Have fun fitting me into hockey skates. :nodding:

Anyway, point being... take what people on the internet say, learn from it, and use your head to make a decision. Size the boot for your activity. If I sized them like Crane does, I would never have been happy with the fit

Oh, fwiw: I bought Krause's, but tried on the regular 1000 miles and the Rockford. They all fit pretty much the same, so I presume they are all made on the same footbed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

4 people like this.
  19. Masta

Masta New Member

Hi all!

I just shelled out a pretty penny to get these addisons...I really want to wear them outside but I have noticed that on the inside of the left boot there seems to be this wrinkling of the leather. The wrinkled leather feels a bit dryer than the same spot on the right boot; the inside of the right boot feels smooth.

So my question is: Is this bad? beginnings of dry rot? Should I return these?

Pictures are attached.

I've been wearing them around the house and they feel great! It'd be a shame if I have to wait another few weeks to get another pair...but I don't want my money to goto waste if the problem is something that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for all your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

They are boots. They are made of chromexcel leather. This is common. Wear them, enjoy them, there is nothing wrong with them.

1 person likes this.