• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

thoang77

Reaction score

Tan 1000 Miles after a coating of obenauf LP (my first time applying it to anything). Getting the wax to melt into the welt didnt really work out for me, since I didn't want to over heat the leather around it. There was also a lot of buffing done to these to remove the excess wax.

Then after a coat of neutral meltonian shoe cream, so I could give it a little shine and remove that residue-y feeling the obenaufs left

Somar

Reaction score
@thoang77 Damn that looks good :D. Did you also make before pics?

thoang77

Reaction score

@thoang77 Damn that looks good :D. Did you also make before pics?

I snapped one with my phone before the Obenauf's (it was at night and I was lazy to take real photos)

Before

After obenauf's

The second photo could probably use a bit of color balance correction, but theyre both taken in the same light and fairly accurate in terms of color. The tan makes a pretty drastic change. I didnt apply any to the leather right around the ankle on the inside, just so theres a trace of the original color left

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Drpunch

Reaction score
How are these boots in the snow? I am not talking about going hiking out in the mountains or anything, but for everyday use in the snow, assuming I properly take care of them, do they wear well? I'd like to switch up my footwear every now and then but with all this snow on the ground in Canada I wanna be sure they'll wear good.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How are these boots in the snow? I am not talking about going hiking out in the mountains or anything, but for everyday use in the snow, assuming I properly take care of them, do they wear well? I'd like to switch up my footwear every now and then but with all this snow on the ground in Canada I wanna be sure they'll wear good.

They're fine for snow. Keep in mind they are not insulated so good wool socks are a must if you're out in it for any length of time. You'll also want to half sole them as well. The plain leather sole is slick just like every other shoe/boot with a similar sole would be. The Vibram Raptor is a half sole that's specifically designed for traction on ice and snow.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add on to Crane's snow-worthiness reply, I've found that snow is one of those things that really depends on extra factors, though the biggest is going to be: how damp is the snow? When it comes to uninsulated leather boots in the snow, you might find that your foot is warmer if it's 20F outside (cold but not-melting snow) versus 31F where the snow gets onto your boot and melts, and really lets the cold start attacking your foot. Thick vs. thin socks won't matter so much if your boots are soaked. For when your foot absolutely can't afford to get wet even a little bit (like last year for me in Iceland, when you know it's going to be cold, wet, and you'll be outside for hours) get a pair of uninsulated Bean Boots and wool socks.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cordovan 744 Ltd's for 550 at epaulet. Decent amount of sizes left. 

I've heard tell that there are still some sizes left in seconds if you call up Allen Edmond's outlet stores (you can ask them to check their computer system for stock at other stores). $399 with free shipping (were $350 a few weeks ago with their sale when I bought mine). Their seconds are minor deviations, light blemishes, crooked stitches, none of the slices or cut tongues you'll see on eBay. You don't get any of the extras, no certificate, shoe tree, shoe bag, and your boots will not have a number out of a 1000. C'est la vie. YRMV.

Drpunch

Reaction score
To add on to Crane's snow-worthiness reply, I've found that snow is one of those things that really depends on extra factors, though the biggest is going to be: how damp is the snow? When it comes to uninsulated leather boots in the snow, you might find that your foot is warmer if it's 20F outside (cold but not-melting snow) versus 31F where the snow gets onto your boot and melts, and really lets the cold start attacking your foot. Thick vs. thin socks won't matter so much if your boots are soaked. For when your foot absolutely can't afford to get wet even a little bit (like last year for me in Iceland, when you know it's going to be cold, wet, and you'll be outside for hours) get a pair of uninsulated Bean Boots and wool socks.

They're fine for snow. Keep in mind they are not insulated so good wool socks are a must if you're out in it for any length of time. You'll also want to half sole them as well. The plain leather sole is slick just like every other shoe/boot with a similar sole would be. The Vibram Raptor is a half sole that's specifically designed for traction on ice and snow.

Thanks for replying. I do plan to get them 'half-soled', regardless whether I wear them in the snow or not. I'll be sure to get some more wool socks though, I need to stock up!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick did an outstanding job comparing some boots compared to the 1K earlier. I was going to do the same but will sum it up by saying when people ask me what is the best boot I usually respond with saying it starts with the one that fits you the best. Support, traction, etc. follow that. In my case the 1k boots I own seem to fit better than almost any other boot that I own. For this style of boot I like the term Semi Dress that White uses or Heritage that Crane's uses. They are not work boots in the sense that you will find them in the back of the safety boot truck that comes to the manufacturing plant or loading docks. However they work for 99% of the use that any of us on here would use them. And are my main choice of footwear most of the time.

AE bayfield in CXL, 744 1K, RW 9011, Krause 1K

In full sun, the Krause washes out because they are polished with Saphir Wax. The others have a fairly recent coat of Venetien Shoe Cream. Note how the cap toe helps control the creasing on CXL and also shell. I prefer a plain toe for showing off shell in a dress work shoe, but for boots like this prefer a cap toe which is a traditional work boot. The extra layer of leather on the toe adds life to the boot. I have seen people wear steel toed work boots until the steel shows through then paint the steel toe which of course looks like ****.

My favorite is easily the 744 in Cigar shell. Comparing the 1k 744 with some other brown shell:

left to right: AE Dundee in dark brown shell, 744, C&J for RL Marlow in cigar shell, 744, AE Dalton in walnut shell.

Hey that Remi hull on the deck with a brass hull is still loadable! Not interested in those steel hull promo loads in the other pics but I have been known to go head first into a dumpster for AA or Rem brass hulls, especially in 410 or 28. Nice boots too!
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads