1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

B. Nelson in NYC is the place to go. They've been on the forum for years and Nick will take great care of your 1k's. You could even splurge and have him put Dainite soles on them...which I have to admit would look AWESOME. Send them in a wait about a month and you'll bet as good - if not better - than new.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/240245/b-nelson-does-a-great-job

2. deburn

deburn Senior member

That's really awful. I got in on the seconds deal from STP for $135.00. The shoes were in great condition, and I know several others who are very happy with their purchase. Sounds like you had really bad luck

3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Here's some inspiration for you - http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/345#post_4146554

You could always do a normal leather resole and then add topy (or similar) rubber covering. The advantage here is that in future you just have to replace the heels and the topy and not the leather sole. However, Topys are not going to offer the same depth and types of grip pattern as a vibram sole. Vibram do a number of lite soles that will suit the weight and heft of the 1K, plus you can always go hipster and get them resoled with a Vibram Christy :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  4. cthip

cthip Senior member

b. nelson did mine as well. great job. photos here

http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/1215#post_5400088

5. althanis

althanis Senior member

For what it's worth, my brother picked up a pair of the STP for $135, and apart from a small nick in the leather at the back, they're good. He's very happy, and I'm happy for him.

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Man that's been a long time ago! I hardly recognize those things. I posted this pic already but It's worth doing again. It's taken me about two years wear the soles down to the point that I'll have them redone before Winter rolls around. That reminds me. I did say i would clean these up and write up another tutorial,,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Certain things just seem to get better with wear.

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yep, that's the beauty of products made from good leather.

9. harlowlax

harlowlax New Member

Cranes do you have any rusts in stock size 8.5? I couldn't find your store phone number here

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Maybe,
    573-254-3311

11. andrewjamesdean

andrewjamesdean Senior member

Crane's - I've sent a few emails over the last couple of weeks that have gone unanswered (I'm in Australia, so email is easier than phone). Trying to track down some 1k Rust in a 9D. Got any? Thanks

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I just might have them. I was in the store Friday checking on a size/color combo for someone else and seem to remember seeing 9 rust on the shelf. The store is closed today so when I wander over there sometime Monday I'll have a look.

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No rust 9s on my back shelf. I have a brown pair though. We can get the rust, no problem too. I'm not sure what the deal is with emails. Dave is pretty good about getting back to people. I hope we aren't on a black list again. Check your spam folder and see if anything is there.

14. Brian Itzaina

Brian Itzaina Well-Known Member

15. steve2318

steve2318 Senior member

Can anybody provide some information on the leather used for the Wolverine Austen Boot?

Is it waterproof?

Looking for something to wear for the Vermont winter

Thanks in advance!

16. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Quote:Per Horween: "Predator is a waxed and tumbled full grain leather. The wax used on the leather is burnishable and will wear very well over time. This is a chrome tanned leather with a heavy vegetable retannage." http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/

17. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Did the crane method on my 1ks with snoseal...brushed it with horsehair brush. Now there's snoseal residue on my brush. The brush feels sticky with the snoseal clunking some of the hair together.

Is this normal or did I do something wrong? feels like i ruined the brush

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  18. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

For things such as snoseal or Obenaufs LP it is usually best to get as much as possible to soak into the leather using fingers and/or a hairdryer. After that remove any excess using a cloth before buffing.

To clean the brush can you not heat it with a hairdyer and then brush a cloth to remove excess snoseal?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  19. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Wide feet and/or boots too small?

20. striker

striker Senior member

Agreed, apply those by hand and use a cloth to remove excess before brushing if necessary, I just skip the brushing altogether. Frankly, I only use a brush first to get rid of dirt and mud but not after applying snosneal.

You can just wash the brush or just keep using the brush on any other boots. It will become less sticky.