1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I have that on mine, though it's not a loose thread, just the end of the thread, and all the stitching is intact with no signs of falling apart.

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yeah, same here. After 31/2 years you get used to it. Like I even cared about it to begin with. I've worn my original brown 1Ks for the last 8 months daily. That's 240 or so days straight and this thread problem is not a problem or a quality issue like some would like to claim. If it was my boots would not have held up this long let alone 3.5 years. Baby them when you brush them? Are you kidding me?

[​IMG]

Yeah both boots have this "problem".

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Oh man, those are lookin' good beat up; I got a long way to go.

1 person likes this.
  4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Just wait. I need to clean them up and then oil them. The last time I did that was oh about 8 months ago. LOL! They're overdue for it for sure. The sole and half soles are about shot so sometime this year they'll have to go back to the cobbler and be redone again. I got 2.5 years out of the sole job so I really can't complain.

1 person likes this.
  5. RAYZ-ACE

RAYZ-ACE Active Member

for anyone looking for filson boot oil in Toronto, i found it at wilson's fly fishing queen street east.

6. tricky

tricky Senior member

Thanks!

7. RAYZ-ACE

RAYZ-ACE Active Member

no prob :)

8. onehotchili

onehotchili Senior member

I was just curious if other folks have had any Quality Issues with their 1000 Mile Boots. I ordered a pair of black ones the other month, and wore them about 20 times. I then noticed the heal coming off (which wasn't a big deal to me since a cobbler could fix those easily.) However on the same boot, I noticed a distinct 1" tear/seperation in the leather right where one of the stitches was made in the boot. Fortunately, I called up the store I got them from... and sent them off for a warranty replacement. No big deal....

A couple of days ago I got my replacement pair.... unfortunately this time one boot has a superficial 1" scratch right through the polish on the rear shank to where you can see the raw leather. Again not a huge deal that new black polish couldn't fix. But then on the other boot, there is another deep 1" gouge by the instep ankle. This was clearly dyed and polished over. So someone in Quality Control had to have noticed this and let it go through.

So my question is, am I being to picky? I know there will always be some flaws for handmade boots, but I guess at $340 retail.... I had been hoping for better quality. Again the store is going to ship me a warranty replacement.... but I am beginning to think "3 strikes and your out!" I like the boots and they are a great alternative to a pair of Alden 403s that I wear. But I am getting a little frustrated. Anyhow, hopefully I'll finally get a solid pair...

1 person likes this.
  9. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Unfortunately, there are more than a few posts in here about various quality issues with the Wolverine 1000 Miles. If you're paying $340 for a pair of boots, they shouldn't have gouges or tears so I don't think you're being picky.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  10. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

It's extra insulting that they're willingly giving out these boots with clearly visible damage. I'd just say fuck it and get trench boots at that point.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

My first question when I start hearing things like this is where did you get them from? Ebay? If so good luck. The second question is are they first quality boots or seconds? I have seen a lot of 1K boots being sold online for way cheap and from people who are not Wolverine dealers.

12. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

13. gardenbuffet

gardenbuffet Member

Been thinking about getting rubber half soles on my 1k's, but haven't quite convinced myself to do it.

Question to all: What are some reasons for getting these boots half-sole'd? If/once the rubber sole is on, can you still revert back to the leather sole?

14. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior member

Getting them topy'd is mainly for extending the life of the sole since it's cheaper to replace a topy as opposed to the entire sole ( $20-30 to ~$100). Also the rubber sole makes your boots a little more versatile for handling inclement weather conditions and providing better traction. I'd say go for it, and if you decide you'd like the leather soles more you can opt for that after the first resole.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  15. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been wearing my Tans often in the past 2 months. maintenance consists of wiping with a damp cloth and alot of brushing

1 person likes this.
  16. atoms

atoms Senior member

I have to say, I've owned my 1000 mile's for a couple months now (I think?) and they are easily one of my favorite go-to footwear. I normally wear dress shoes, rarely if ever sneakers. And these boots are the holy grail of in between. Best shoe purchase I've made in a few years. I get compliments on the color of them too.

Can't explain how pleased I am with these. I like that they discolor a bit when scratched, etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  17. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I'm pretty anal with my shoes/boots and I keep mine looking pretty good - but I am damn happy with my Wolverine 1000's. I get a lot of compliments; it is just a classy looking boot.

18. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Is it the white balance or what? They look like Rust or Brown instead of Tan...

19. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

20. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

I think its a combo of the lighting in that room and how often I oiled them back when i first got them. They are much darker than out of the box but in person they're distinctly different than the brown/rust. Maybe a result of the waxy leather. I'm very pleased with them