1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Just a short flyby. So my brown 1Ks are still going wherever I end up and are doing just fine. I've pretty much worn them everyday since oh about October now. Through hell and high water they're just a good pair of boots. Just can't seem to kill these things. So what does a rock hunter do when the whole area is pretty much a muck pit or under water? I head out and chase storms of course. A pic from the weekend below. Once I get a bit caught up with work and image processing I'll take some pics of the golden oldies. They're lookin' pretty good.

[​IMG]
    Out of Gas by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

1 person likes this.
  2. JackL2

JackL2 Active Member

Hey, so I bought a pair of brown 1,000 Miles this last Christmas at Nordstrom, and the stitching on one boot has started to come undone along with very slight sole separation.

I've worn them maybe once or twice a week since I got them. Should I just return them to Nordstrom and get another pair? They've been great outside this stitching issue...

3. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

nordstrom has a pretty good customer service department. It would be worth it to bring it to them and see if they'll replace for you.

4. digga

digga Senior member

If you post pics, someone can probably tell you if it is normal or not.

5. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Sure, why not or maybe get them repaired.

6. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Very nice. B&W can be very atmospheric. How much post processing was done ?

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

A minor histogram tweak and that's it. Here's another one, straight off the camera. It seems storms have been a regular thing around here so I've been all over hell's half acre chasing them.

[​IMG]
    Stormy Sky by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  8. TheAussie00

TheAussie00 Member

Got my 1000 mile boots, they're great. Definitely a different style than what I'm used to (picked up a sweet vintage denim jacket from a thrift store today to go with them).

The only problem/question I have with them is with the insole/footbed. The leather insole only goes about half way, and the rest (from middle of foot to the toes) feels like some sort of hard plastic. The problem is my feet tend to be sweaty by the end of the day, and combined with damp socks they rub against the plasticy part of the insole and sometimes make an audible squeak (and feel somewhat uncomfortable)

The question part was, are all 1000 mile boots the same, having only a half leather insole? I would have thought the whole of the footbed would be leather for comfort sake. And I can't seem to find any photos looking that far inside the boot itself to clarify.
    If I didn't already have orthotics for flat feet I'm sure I could put in some kind of less abrasive insole, but with my half-sole orthotics (like http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/787/951/456/456951787_352.jpg) I can't add anything more to the boot without making it too cramped. I imagine thicker socks might help with the friction but they'd be too hot for my feet. (our average winter's day is about 15'C max so its not really cold enough for them)

Cheers

9. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Mine have a full leather insole...

10. JelloFaust

JelloFaust Member

I ordered a pair of Brown 1000 miles and per recommendation here have decided to oil them before I wear them. I live in California and don't experience much rain and won't be using the boots for much (if any) outdoorsy things (hiking, etc). Is there an oil recommendation that will protect the boots with my kind of use that will change the color only minimally? Also, should I oil the soles before having a vibram half sole on?

Thanks a lot!

11. digga

digga Senior member

Venetian shoe cream is what I would recommend. I probably wouldn't oil the sole if you plan to have a half sole installed.

12. JelloFaust

JelloFaust Member

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation as I hadn't heard of this oil/cream before.

13. TheAussie00

TheAussie00 Member

Should I send them back then? :/ It seems deliberate, the half leather insole has a stylised end

14. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the other half of your insole isn't leather? I took another look at my 1K's, and I see what you're talking about now. It does look like plastic... But after a closer inspection (with a small LED flashlight), it does in fact look like it's leather.

As far as comfort is concerned... You might want to look into the insole below (they're meant for shoes without a lot of wiggle room). I'll probably be getting a pair for my 1K's.

http://www.superfeet.com/activity/running-walking/Black.aspx

15. frenchji

frenchji Member

[​IMG]

Is the thread coming loose normal? Should I be concerned?

16. gnu

gnu Senior member

When do you all apply a sole protector? Right out of the box, or do you wear them a bit?

17. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

I put mine on when they were brand new.

FYI: It shouldn't cost more than $30.

18. ben2t

ben2t Senior member

that's not normal for a $300 shoes mine has a few days of wear but when i use bush to clean it the thread is loosen on both pair at the same spot as yours. THREAD COMING LOOSE WITH BRUSHING WHAT THE F**k. MY$70 Chippewa's construction quality is much better.

19. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior member

[​IMG]

Actually, I don't have any suspect thread issues at all. This is 6-7 months with only water, cloth, and a horsehair brush. The waxed laces I got from Red Wing at no charge.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  20. ben2t

ben2t Senior member

Here is mine today side by side with Chips after applying moderate snoseal, i use lighter to get rid of the loosened thread.
    [​IMG]