1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Do you still use the hairdryer method when applying boot oil? Or is that just for Snoseal, LP, MPB, etc...?

2. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Lots of residual surface wax makes me think the boots weren't heated enough, as the leather will drink up everything you slather on, for the most part.

Again, still have yet to read anyone using the oven like I did; it works, and it's recommended on the SnoSeal instructions. I would throw them in the oven and see if they drink up the remaining surface wax.

Otherwise, just keep brushing until the surface is no longer sticky.

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I'll agree with Mario. There is no mistaking when the pores in the leather open up. Once you see it happen you'll understand.

So the weather was pretty nice today. Sunny and about 55 so I went for a little hike in the vineyard and along a bluff line looking for rocks. I found a nice scraper and a bunch of broken points. Oh and I was not sipping wine this time. LOL!

4. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I know what you mean regarding the pores opening up and it slurping in the wax. Definitely had that happen. Still had the tackiness afterward. I'll try taking a hairdryer to them a bit wile wiping them, maybe try to get whatever thin veneer there may be to suck in. Probably caused by the generous welt waxing. No matter what I do, never could get that to quite slurp all the way in right at the welt, the way I can on the rest of the boot, and the hair dryer spreads it a bit over the rest of the boot. Anyway, I'm not in a rush, I just wanted to confirm that I was correct in holding steady.

Also, re: oven method, I never got that to work. Oven at about 160, and the wax just sat on the boots getting mildly soft. Either my beeswax is bust or the oven thermometer is busted/too localized. The latter is probably most likely. Hair dryer works fine, just takes a while.

5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Oven thermometers are wildly inaccurate, which can make oven-baking a risky proposition lol.

6. rexet

rexet Senior member

Leather has its own absorbing capabilities.
    Maybe you just reach the point where it cannot absorb any more conditioner. That's what happen to me after the second application of LP.
    The first application has been completely absorbed by the leather with the hair dryer method and I decided to go for a second round. This time the leather only absorb maybe half of the amount of LP I put and the product left on the surface give the tackiness. I just melt the excess product with a hair drier and remove it with an old tee-shirt. After a lot of brushing it was perfect.

7. AmericanLion

AmericanLion Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions on socks to wear with my W1K's? I live in Louisiana so our winters are not terribly cold or long. Mostly warm weather. However, I would like a thicker sock so my boot fits better but that can be worn in the summer time? Suggestions?

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Smartwool hikers.

1 person likes this.
  9. AmericanLion

Medium or Lightweight? I'm thinking Medium would give my boots a better fit. I just don't want my feet terribly hot!

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Light would be better but the medium weight isn't terrible when it's warm. Wool socks are all I wear year round. Cool in the Summer, warm in the Winter.

2 people like this.
  11. AmericanLion

You are a scholar and a gentleman sir! Thanks for all the help!

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No problem.

I just came back from the store and I have 13 or 14 pairs of boots taking up space on my back shelf. This is a terrible state of affairs, I want them gone. You know the drill and here's the number. 573-254-3311

13. klp2332

klp2332 Well-Known Member

The following three pictures were taken straight out of the box without any wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the following two photos were after about 3 days of intermittent wear in heavy snow. I then decided to add some Vibram half soles to them. $35 at Shoe Therapy in Toronto. The workmanship looks alright -- not bad. Nothing to complain about. I believe they may be the Vibram Stresa's. They are probably designed for dress shoes but I may actually prefer it to be thin like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to add some Obenauf's LP as soon as they arrive in the mail as the leather looks a bit dry to me. Maybe its been sitting a while since production or, most likely, its my lack of care coupled with the damaging salt.

14. mw1197

mw1197 New Member

Recently picked up a pair of these. Beautiful boots. Quick question though...do these stretch at all in regards to width? There's plenty of length for me in the toe box, but my little toe on my right foot is kind of squished up against the wall of the boot. Left foot is perfect - I'm pretty sure sizing up or going a wide size would leave me swimming in them. So will they stretch out a bit with wear in regards to that or should I consider my options?

15. Patek

Patek Senior member

Any woman's bots?

16. weshelm

weshelm New Member

I had the same issue. I sized up a half size and felt at first like my feet were swimming. I realized I only had a tiny bit of heel slip... The toe boxes were just huge which made them feel big. I added some thin insoles since I have a low volume foot and they fit perfectly and are far more comfortable than the smaller size.

17. Countach

Countach New Member

Hey guys what boot oil would you recommended for the 1000 mile for daily/weekly maintenance?

18. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

daily...?

You don't need to oil every week. Once a month is already pretty excessive.

19. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

daily...?

You don't need to oil every week. Once a month is already pretty excessive.

20. vacuity

vacuity Member

Which model half sole is that? I've been trying to decide which one to get, but the images on the Vibram website are not great so it's hard to really tell what they look like.