1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. moonshine

moonshine Member

"My" guy is in Elkin, NC; Foot-Heels Shoe & Boot Repair. He does great work and is super-reasonable. Probably too far for you but another NC source if you (or anyone else) need one!

2. moonshine

moonshine Member

Anyone have any pics or info on the Stockton engineer boots? They look great but I need more info before making a firm decision between them, Red Wing and the White's Nomad. Thanks in advance!

3. DustyDust

DustyDust Active Member

4. Countach

Countach New Member

Hey guys here a couple pics of my black 1000 miles with some new laces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. tonydelite

tonydelite New Member

Well after reading this thread a few times and debating whether to get the brown or black 1000 mile boots for months, something very fortunate happened.

Last Tuesday I was walking down the streets of downtown Birmingham, MI with a friend of mine and she wanted to stop inside one of the boutiques she spotted. It was a collection of 8 boutiques in a single building. 7 of them catered to women, and in the very back there was a single men's shop. I started to look around while my friend was off looking at jewelry, and I saw a pair of the 1000 mile boots in both black and brown. I still couldn't decide which one I liked better, and ultimately I couldn't pull the trigger on either. I told the guy behind the counter my dilemma, and he told me I should come back on Thursday because they were having a big sale. I said OK, I'd call back on Thursday to see what kind of deal they were going to offer. Fast forward to Thursday... Said boutique's Facebook page indicated that the store was having a Buy One Get One Free sale on everything in the store. I called to make sure that there weren't any exclusions. Nope, no exclusions. Long story short, I ended up getting both the black and the brown for $345! Needless to say, I am very very happy. Here's a picture of the black ones... I haven't taken a picture of the brown ones yet, but I will shortly.

[​IMG]

6. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

That's ridiculous. I enjoy it.

7. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Dang. Is it wrong I actually think that looks good?

8. lckychrmsbboy

lckychrmsbboy Senior member

@Tonydelite - thats awesome you got one for free! Wish I could find deals like that.

I also like the purple laces, something different.

9. mojahanafiah

mojahanafiah Active Member

10. tonydelite

tonydelite New Member

Yeah I felt like I got away with murder. I was just in the right place at the right time.

11. rexet

rexet Senior member

Lucky you! Such a great deal! Enjoy!

12. klp2332

klp2332 Well-Known Member

I just literally dropped them off there. $35. Vibram. They didn't seem to have a lot of a selection for Vibram half soles. And they just gave me any old one, and I just nodded. Prices seem to vary even amongst the same place. But I will report back with the quality of their work soon.

13. RAYZ-ACE

RAYZ-ACE Active Member

was saphir renovateur used?

14. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Man, what a great deal! *Thumbs Up!*

15. jhwang116

jhwang116 Member

Has anyone had issues with the interior leather near the heel rubbing/ripping over time? The heel support of my boot rubs against the leather at an angle when I put the boots on, so I'm wondering if it'll tear over time. If it does tear, how easy is it for a cobbler to repair it? It doesn't seem to rub when I walk, only when I'm putting the boot on.

16. AmericanLion

AmericanLion Well-Known Member

I wanted everyone to know that Crane's customer service is excellent! Ordered two pairs that I will be posting pics of soon and they answered a plethora of questions I had!

17. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No and I doubt that's ever going to be an issue. What I see going first would be the top of the toe box from constant flexing and then along the welt at the front half or 2/3rds of the boot.

Thanks, we try to do it right. The Wolverine 1Ks are basically my project and I want things done right. Hmmm Wolverine should pay me for my concierge services. LOL!

Now I'm going to end something that's been coming up lately. Boot oil (or equivalent product) is your prime conditioner that has some capacity to waterproof. Snoseal and LP are primarily waterproofers with some ability to condition the leather. You can forgo LP or snoseal and as long as you keep them well conditioned/oiled they'll last for years. The same cannot be said for just using snoseal or LP. I'm not sure how the confusion got started but it needs to be put to bed.

1 person likes this.
  18. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Was brushing up my 744s, and had a couple thoughts. First, for Crane's and his sno-sealing: does the slight tackiness to the sno-seal ever go away? I see your pictures, and clearly you've managed to get a nice shine to them. Mine are still a bit matte, and instead of having the shell cordovan gloss/smoothness, they still have a bit of tackiness (and are still a bit matte). Just to clarify, you never did use any wax on those when you got that really great shine with them in the year-later pictures? They went from matte/tacky to high gloss with just water brushing. I'm not in a rush, I just wore these through snow and salt this morning, and they look great, I'm just looking forward to them looking even better.

Second, in case anyone with power from Wolverine or AE is reading this: storm welts. Sno-sealing helps, but a storm-welt, or even just a split welt would make water-proofing W1K's way more effective. It would raise the height where water can get in, and give a nice, easy to reach seam to get wax into.

19. althanis

althanis Senior member

Since I've Sno-Sealed my boots, they've had this really ugly sticky feeling and matte look to them, that keeps getting dust stuck on them. Looks pretty ugly to be honest. I tried wiping i with hot water, but it didn't help a whole lot; I'll have to try again.

20. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior member

The dullness and tackiness dissipates over time, usually in just a few days. Just hit them with a brush or rag each day. Also taking the hair dryer to them again whilst wiping/brushing significantly helps too. I've even used a little conditioner afterwards at times to expedite the process.