1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I sized down a full size for these. It's better to have these boots a little snug. I find that Chromexcel stretches quite a bit over time.

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

You do realize that the difference between whole sizes is around a 1/4 inch right? According to your "measurement" the difference in length for a half size difference is correct.

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No it isn't better to have these boots fit a little snug.

1 person likes this.
  4. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Hey tsekh, do you mind posting some closeups of the boots now that they're probably more worn in and oiled up? Hard to find pics of the no. 8.

5. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

Crane,

I wear a size nine in dress shoes specifically allen edmonds 9E, but when I put the 8.5 on my toe has so much wiggle room it makes my feet hurt after wearing them for 3 hours or so. I then bought a 8D and still has lots of wiggle room. When I put the boot on with my socks I plan to wear after 12 hours of being on my feet all day I still get wiggle room so I ordered a 7.5inch from you guys. The lady over the phone (Crane store) was very nice she measured them for me from heal to front of lip of boot it was 11.5inches the current boots I have are 8.5=11 7/8 and the 8 is 2mm shorter than that.

I have more than a fingernail lengths, roughly half my thumb length. I can also move the foot forward enough that I can fit two fingers in the rear of the heal.

The boots are awesome, but the sizing they have is just odd. Its a non-standard number thats for sure.

As for the leather its awesome!!! I put the boot on first time and YES they are firm (better word probably is snug) around the foot, but after roughly a day of wearing the leather just 'forms' to my foot and it feelts so soft!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. rexet

rexet Senior member

My brand new 1K from Crane's Store are supposed to be delivered tomorrow, I can't wait :) !
    I ordered them on the 14th so it took 11 days to arrive in Paris, nice!

I plan to bring them to my cobbler as soons as they arrived. I will share some pictures here.

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Awesome, can't wait to see the half sole job. Don't forget to condition them once you get them back.

8. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

I just want to mention that the soles on my new Addisons are not the same as on my Rockfords. They seem to have upgraded the leather significantly. The Rockfords used to get little pebbles lodged in them constantly until the left sole self destructed. The Addison soles are far more solid and look/feel like the J&R soles I had the cobbler put on my Rockfords afterwards.

Also, the addition of the gusseted tongue on the Addisons changed the sizing a bit. The ungusseted Rockfords were a bit too loose at size 10, the Addisons are a bit too tight after 20-30 hours on my feet at size 9.5. Both are still comfortable, but just something to keep in mind.

9. Countach

Countach New Member

Quick question for you guys, do any of you use or recommend using shoe trees for the 1000 mile?

10. jhwang116

jhwang116 Member

I've had my boots for about a week now and I'm really enjoying them. I do have a question about QC of these boots. The main issue that I have is that the tongue on my right boot is significantly off center (leans to the exterior ankle) to the point that it is actually covering my ankle and leaving the top of my foot slightly exposed. Is this normal? I've never bought hand made shoes before so I don't know what the tolerance is for QC issues, etc. There are other slight issues that I'm less concerned about.

Tongue:

[​IMG]

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

With the exception of my 721LTDs no. There's nothing stopping you from using them though.

Oh yeah, speaking of Courtlands. I have a brown pair in size 10D that needs to get off of my back shelf.

12. rexet

rexet Senior member

I ordered some Obenauf from the US (this is another great product that we don't find here in France :embar: ) and it is supposed to arrive in 2 weeks.
    I guess I will have to wear them unconditionned for few days ;)

By the way. I was thinking about puting just an half sole in the front (nothing on the heel) but I read that this could unbalanced the shoes and this is not good for my back. What do you think ?

13. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

You'll be fine with just a half-sole. They come with a Vibram heel on them...

14. Ethics

Ethics Member

I bought 1000 miles in a size 8 and they fit me well without any insoles. However, I have flat feet and need Superfeet half-soles (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41d6lhnzVcL.jpg) in my shoes. With these in, and with wool socks on, the boots are very tight on the mid-foot area. Would it be recommended that I try sizing up to a 8.5, or go for a 8 wide?

15. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

I used half a sole and they are fine to me.

16. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Depends on the thickness. A thin, topy-like Vibram 2337 is virtually un-noticable and likely won't change the balance significantly. A thicker, lugged sole like the Raptor may change the balance but it may not be significant enough to feel. A reputable cobbler should be able to answer these questions when you have it installed.

17. rexet

rexet Senior member

Yeah you're right, I will see what the cobbler will advice me.
    He is supposed to know his job well since he was a "made to measure" shoe maker for Berluti.
    I'll will keep you informed.

18. digga

digga Senior member

cranes,

is there a reason why you use the commando heel with the raptor sole? is it better for playing in the mud or something? would the raptor heel or commando be the better choice for snow/ice use and occasionally greasy shop floor? i don't play in the mud much

thanks

19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

It wears less and grips wet rock better when I'm heading down a hillside. It also tends to not clog with mud as much as the Raptor pattern. The Raptor pattern is specifically designed for snow and ice. Greasy shop floors are a different story. You would need a half sole made specifically for that environment. The reason being the rubber on the anti slip soles has an abrasive grit mixed in with the rubber.

20. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

What about stretch? Just about every chromexcel shoe I've owned stretched a half size.