1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. hoyitsjohnny

hoyitsjohnny Active Member

2. Roostertxp

Roostertxp Well-Known Member

I am thinking about removing the tongue of my boots and getting light weight laces to eliminate some boot weight. Anyone ever tried this? If so, did it make a difference?

3. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Go buy a pair of whites and the 1000 mile will feel like a slipper.
    Seriously, these boots are not heavy.

4. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

Can anyone give a firsthand description of the differences between the liquid oils and the conditioner paste. I use the Pitch blend paste ( which is good for me) but am curious about how the oil lasts and apply.

Also is this a similar product to the sno-seal that seems so popular here? A lot of what I've seen looks whiter and more like a cream
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. Roostertxp

Roostertxp Well-Known Member

Whites?

6. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

7. Andreas1965

Andreas1965 Well-Known Member

Great thread! I fell in love with the 1Ks, unfortunately they are almost unavailable in Germany.
    But I'll be in Fort Lauderdale visiting an old friend in April.

Do you know where to buy 1Ks in the Lauderdale area? I know Nordstrom carries them, so is this my only source? Does Nordstrom stock all colors, all sizes, or is this more a question of luck? I don't want to order online, need to try them on first.

I have a 10 1/2 in the Redwing GTs, is the Wolverine the same fit as GTs?

8. Somar

Somar Senior member

Damn these boots, as at this moment they are too expensive for me! :p

Soon... Soon I'll be wearing them!

9. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I wear 10 in both Redwing GT's and Wolverine's 1000. The GT's are a little narrower, but length-wise, both fit fine.

10. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

How does everyone recommend sizing compared to other brands/lasts? Same size as Indy boots? Any other sizing comparisons beyond the GTs?

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Read through the thread. I have explained the differences and when to use each product more than a few times.

Attempting to base your size by comparing them to something else gives you a starting point at best. I'm fairly convinced most people are wearing the wrong sized boot. They're really not to blame though because good information on how to figure out your size seems to be scarce. I always recommend one uses the same advice given to hikers when they are looking for a new boot. The advice is rock solid and more than a few people on this forum have taken my advice and are very happy they did.

http://www.trails.com/how_26151_size-hiking-boots.html

Don't forget, insoles can have a big effect on sizing just like sock choice. Take the time to think it through, make your sock and insole choices before hand and bring them with you when trying on a new boot.

12. Brian Itzaina

Brian Itzaina Well-Known Member

Back in action. Sno sealing tonight. [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

Crane's, that is wonderful, thank-you for the link. Now, assuming one has been fit by experts and wears properly sized footwear, how do most size their 1Ks in relation? How is the last compared to other common or popular lasts?

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

If they have been properly fitted the size of the 1Ks will fall in a range of plus or minus a half size. Again comparisons between anything is a starting point and nothing more. IF I were to make any general recommendations that's as far as I would go. Plenty of people here have sought my advice on sizing and I ask a lot of questions before I make a specific size recommendation. Again the most common mistake is getting a pair that is too small.

15. rexet

rexet Senior member

Forget about my previous question. I decided to go all the way and I just ordered the Obenauf's LP that everyone here seems satisfied with.

Now I feel like joining a hiking club in my town...

16. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

When the thread is 92 pages long, you can't keep saying this. Put a link in your sig to the best example and then tell people "see link in sig" or something.

17. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

you can easily search the thread.

18. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

The boot tongue plays a role, otherwise it would not be there. Have a think about what are the reasons for it to be still an integral part of shoe and boot design after all these years.

Personally, I would not cut it off, but if you do please report back with your painful findings.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Painful would be an understatement. So how much weight are we talking about here? Maybe a quarter ounce? The idea is not only dumb it's stupid.

1 person likes this.
  20. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Brannock: about a 9.75 / D
    My "TTS" is about a 9.5 / D
    Wolverine 1K's: 9
    Nikes: 10 or 10.5
    Alden Plaza: 9.5
    Alden Barrie: 9 or 9.5
    Red Wing: 9.5
    Most AE's: 9.5
    Ferragamo: 9.5
    New Balance: 10
    Alfred Sargent: 9 UK

A half-size down in Wolverine's is perfect for me. I've worn them with dress socks, sport socks, and today with thick wool socks. All work fine for this size for me.

Leffot insists the 721/744 is a different last than classics and is TTS. I firmly believe that is nonesense, and sizing is same as the Classics. So, as Crane's says, there's a lot of discrepancy. Some people in this thread have gone TTS on Classics, some have sized down (2) sizes! Some have upsized. It's all over the place.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013