Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Well... got my 744s out the other night to give them a quick brushing before wearing the next day. Noticed that the right toe cap (744 LTD) is coming unstitched. Contacted AE (they actually made the boot) and they directed me to Wolverine. I've worn the boots 10-12 times, only to the office/airport/running errands. They got caught in the rain the last time I wore them and immediately this stitching flaw become evident. It appears to me that they glued the toe cap down and tried to sell the boot. The stitching stops an inch or so from the welt.

I really hope they make this right, else I'm going to retrench further into my AE/Alden-only shoe mindset.

2. ShiroiAkuma

ShiroiAkuma Senior member

I'm a little confused and maybe photos would help, but you didn't notice that the stichting stopped an inch from the welt until now? I'm assuming I'm miss understanding. Either way you will not be able to go through AE, they made them for Wolverine so in this case they are completely removed from the process unless for some reason Wolverine returns them for repair to AE (which is highly unlikely).
    They have stood behind their product in the past and don't see why this would be an exception. Who did you buy these from?

3. izzyfuld

izzyfuld Well-Known Member

4. izzyfuld

5. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Shell horsehide ≠ Shell cordovan.

6. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I contacted AE regarding the unstitched toe cap on my 744 LTD and they directed me to Wolverine, who told me that seconds are ineligible for any sort of fix from Wolverine.

I understand that these are seconds and perfection is not to be expected, but this is a clear and unquestionable manufacturing defenct. They failed to stitch a significant portion of the toe cap and that caused it to come undone. I'm going to have them fixed, sell them, and purchase a pair of Cordovan Indy boots like I should have done in the first place.

7. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

where did you buy them from?

8. mstacle

mstacle New Member

My apologies if this isn't the right place for this...
    Now that online retailers like Revolve are unable to offer price reductions on the 1000 Mile collection, is it still possible to find these boots at a decent discount? I can't seem to find the exact color and size I need on eBay, so that's out. I'm aware that wingtip.com offers "points" and free shoe trees- is this the best deal out there right now?
    For what it's worth, I am looking at the Courtland in brown.

9. izzyfuld

then what is shell horsehide? it it possible that they just started calling shell horsehide shell cordovan in the past 50 years?

10. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Call Crane's store, or wait patiently till the right color & size combination show up on eBay. I bought both pairs of my 1000 boots on eBay for less than $250 each.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

They're seconds because there is a defect in the manufacturing and are typically sold as is with no warranty. That's the nature of the beast and you knew it going into the deal. Sometimes going for the cheap works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure why you think Wolverine or any other manufacturer is going to give you a first warranty on a second.

You didn't call the store did you?

13. mstacle

mstacle New Member

Indeed, I did!
    edit: it was around an hour and a half ago.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  14. private eyes

private eyes Senior member

Im not sure if this has been brought up, but does anyone know how the alden indy last compares to the 1000 mile? As in, is a D width the same in both boots. Thanks

15. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

For both boots they say to size down a half size.

I have both and yes this worked just fine.