1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

I recently used some LP on my tan Addisons. I like the new colour, but I do find it darker than what I had hoped for. As well, there's some uneven darkening in some pots. Any advice? Reclean and reapply? Wait for it to fade more?

A side note, my boots are frequently exposed to salt and slush. (Montreal winters).

Cheers, and thanks!

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Wait for them to fade IMO.

3. squyntz1

squyntz1 Active Member

I wonder if you're able to accelerate the fading process by taking a blow dryer to them for an extended amount of time to dry out the leather? Or maybe exposing them to a UV lamp?

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

These aren't jeans. You also don't apply excessive amounts of heat to leather. That's one way to destroy them. An ultraviolet lamp will most likely darken this type of leather as well. Exposure to sunlight tends to darken full grain leather as does exposure to the elements.

5. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just got a pair in tan. Very satisfied.

Curious about what exactly is the difference between CXL and Inferno

I'd definitely say they're getting more comfortable everytime I wear them

Pictures are out of box on top and after a coat of Montana pitch blend

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  6. sjoseph

sjoseph Member

7. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Near impossible unless you plan to remove the sole entirely. The toe reinforcement is sandwiched between the chromexcel and the inner lining. Wolverine confirmed that the toe puff is made of thermal plastic. In theory, you could make it more malleable by warming and heating the toe area.

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I need to keep my leathers straight.....

Inferno is the tan colored leather on most of the 1K USA boots. I had a PDF chart from Horween that listed the tanning method and other info but for the life of me I can't find it. Along with Predator leather it's a full grain oily/waxy tough leather. The basic maintenance for all 3 types is the same.

9. dgoldberg

dgoldberg Member

How regularly do you apply the MPB? and do you do that in place of a leather oil? If not, how often on the oil?

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

MPB is like Obenauf LP or snoseal. It's the waterproofer and you use it as needed. Oil is used for regular maintenance and conditioning between waterproofing treatments.

11. dgoldberg

dgoldberg Member

Thanks. How often do you recommend using the oil? I live in the cold, northeast.

12. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

Quote: Is inferno something between the predator and CXL found in the Rust/Brown 1Ks? The predator looks pretty distinct in the products Ive seen (in pictures). Ive only seen the tan 1Ks in person but I could see a waxy discription of the leather accurate. If water gets on them it just beads up and rolls off which i initially assumed was the MPB but could be both

Also they've def "broken in" a bit, enough to where i had to loosen the laces a lot and really pull the boot on when right outta the box to now just being able to slide them on with one hand or just step right in

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Hard to be specific on that one. If you get them wet let them dry and apply a light coat. Other than that when they start to look dry wipe them down.

14. resiroth

resiroth New Member

Crane's and others, care to comment on a good preserver/water proofer that won't darken the color of the boots much? I have some obenauf's LP (for another boot) and some filson boot oil (courtesy of you guys). I did notice at least for my other boots that the LP darkened them up quite a bit, not sure I'd like to do that to the 1000 miles since I love their standard color so much. Is that just inevitable with water proofing or are there good neutral ones? Thanks, this thread has been a real help. And another thanks to cranes, incredible price.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. squyntz1

squyntz1 Active Member

You could always shoot an email to Nick Horween and ask for a recommendation.

16. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

All of the proofers are neutral and does not change the actual color. The best way to understand what you see is the difference of the leather when it's dry and wet. Full grain leather appears "darker" ,it's actually better described as being more saturated, when wet. As the water, oil, proofer dries out the color lightens back up. As I said before this type of leather naturally darkens with exposure to the elements and sunlight. There is no point in trying to keep the out of the box color. It's not going to happen. What you are seeing is the natural changes that this type of leather goes through as it ages and develops it's patina.

17. hngu7721

hngu7721 Active Member

Here is the complete Tannage List from Horween: http://horween.com/leathers/full-tannage-list/

18. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

Cool!

Do you think "Waterproof" means the layman term of waterproof leather, or do you think it is the name of a process used in tanning? Inferno is listed as "Waterproof", but chromexcel is not.

19. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Does it crease/wrinkle like CXL?

20. Patek

Patek Senior member

I wear 11.5 US in just about everything I own even though most of it is British. I do own a pair of Alden Indy cordovan boots also in an 11.5. However, advise says to order .5 size down. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on some non-returnable sale 1000ks and I need some advice.

Should I order 11 or 11.5?

Any help is appreciated.

Calling Namor, do you own a pair and if so what size?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013