1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Those are scuffs and not blemishes. Below is what one of my boots looks like right now. I have shown over the years that I can take these boots when they look like this rough, clean them up and go out to dinner with boots that you would never have guessed looked like this an hour earlier. Search my posts and you'll know how to do it.

[​IMG]

2. gardenbuffet

gardenbuffet Member

Is Bick 4 Leather Conditioner a good substitute for obenauf?

3. milw50717

milw50717 Well-Known Member

+1. Nothing to worry about

4. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll see what a coating of oil & protectant will do. I was thinking about using neetsfoot oil & Montana Pitch Blend (since I already own both). I'm still a bit bummed they came out of the box with those marks... But I digress, nothing in life is perfect. I'm still happy to own such a great pair of boots. [​IMG]

5. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

^ Dude those are nothing. I get not wanting to beat the fuck out of your boots. But some "smaller" nicks and blemishes will just add character and help the boots patina real well. Remember these aren’t some dandy ass Edward Green boots or something. Wear'em like you enjoy them!

6. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Will do!

7. jrs19

jrs19 Active Member

8. jrs19

jrs19 Active Member

I appreciate it thanks

9. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

I also want to reiterate that I didn't scuff my boots. They came from Wolverine that way. That's the only reason I was questioning things. Anywho, I just dropped them off to get half soles put on (Vibram Raptor). I figured with Colorado winters, it was a smart move.

10. Crane's

They can get minor scuffs from bouncing around inside the box while in the hands of your favorite carrier.

Raptor half soles. Yep, really good in the slick white stuff and just about anything else for that matter. I match the half sole up with a lugged heel plate. The combo works really good for me and what I do.

11. harrise3

harrise3 New Member

I posted my mistake in sizing, I tried on a 9.5 and it felt tight, so I went to a 10, these shoes do stretch so you might want the 9.5 with a little room to stretch. I would get the 9.5 and only walk around the house for awhile to see if works for you, good luck.

12. Berob

Berob Active Member

Seems I've walked a 1,000 miles in my house trying to decide between sizes 9.5 and 10 in the Wolverine 1000 mile boot, and I've concluded I'm a 9.75. In thinner socks the 9.5 seems to work best and with thicker wool socks the 10 seems to work best. I guess it depends on which type of socks I plan to wear most, but I'm curious about 2 things. I know the boots won't stretch in length but how much will they stretch in width? Also, can anyone correlate the size you wear in an Allen Edmonds dress shoe - say a Park Avenue or anything else on the 5 last - with your 1000 mile boot size? For reference, I wear a 10 D in AE (except for a 9.5 in the more voluminous McTavish), 10.5 in many other shoes, and 11 in most running shoes. Thanks for any help.

13. tsekh

tsekh Well-Known Member

Similar problem here.

I wear 9.5D in AE Park Ave. I have a pair of brown 1000 mile boot in 10D, and a pair of #8 1000 mile boot in 9.5D. The 10D is a little bit big, but with a thin insole and wool socks it fits perfectly. With no additional insole, the 9.5D fits perfectly with thin socks. I think the main problem is that the 1000 mile boot has a very roomy toe box, making it "feels" too big even though the length is right. The 10D pair is about 8 months old and have stretched some what. The 9.5D is only about a month old, and may still stretch a little bit.

So... get two pair of different sizes and different colors and you are set :satisfied:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

They stretch some in width. The most you could probably ask for is +1 width. FWIW, I would certainly go with the size you feel comfortable wearing thick socks with. It is a boot after all.

15. illicitstylz

illicitstylz Member

just received mine, thanks Crane's

waiting on my Obenauf LP to come in and apply it before first wear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RUST - supple leather, the quality is ... indescribable. srs.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  16. bik2101

bik2101 Well-Known Member

wait.. what? they stretch in width? damn it..

17. promiscuousbone

promiscuousbone New Member

Waiting for mine with bated breath. Have the Obenauf's oil, LP and the Lexol cleaner.

Here is what I'm getting in terms of care thus far:

Initially: Oil on the soles, uppers, wait a few days, then apply the LP.

Ongoing: Clean/Oil on a weekly basis with everyday wear. These boots will spend a max of 20 minutes a day outside (depressing, i know). Don't think i need to reapply the LP more than every few months.

Any decent video tutorials out there on this? Last thing I'd like to do is screw these boots up.

I'd also like to pledge my support for Crane's. They've been unbelievably helpful through this process.

18. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Basically impossible, lol.

19. Crane's

Thanks, wear them well.

There's no mystery as far as oiling them is concerned. Get a rag, add oil and wipe it on and let it soak in. wipe off any excess the next day. Post 30 or so in the 721LTD thread is the snoseal, LP tutorial.

Relying on stretch to get a boot to fit is a huge mistake. They should not be tight. If they are the boot size or width is incorrect. To get it right you wear a medium thickness sock and try on the boots after you've been walking around a bit. Your feet can easily swell an entire size during the day, especially when it's hot outside and you're active. In the winter you'll learn very quickly that you need to wear thicker wool socks if you want warm feet. Insulation only works if it isn't overly compressed. Tight boots means choked blood circulation and if the wool is compressed it kills it's overall effectiveness. It's a balancing act and one you want to get right. My custom Limmer climbing boots were made for my feet and they feel a bit loose in the morning when wearing light socks. They're not so loose after an hour of hiking. When I wear a medium thickness wool sock the fit is as perfect as one can get. They better be because that's the weight sock I went with for the fitting. If I go with a really thick arctic weight wool sock the boots are noticeably tighter but not constrictive. I am a measured 8.5D and it just so happens that's the size 1Ks I wear. I don't believe in luck but I do believe that Wolverine takes feet swelling and sock thickness into account when they determine sizing. I'm sure with over a hundred years of work boot experience behind them they know a thing or two. With all that said I can see going a half size down but a full size down just doesn't sound good at all.

20. bik2101

bik2101 Well-Known Member

I actually wasn't sizing down at all. I'm normally a 7. When I tried on a pair of 7s in the evening, they were pretty tight. So I thought maybe I'll get a 7.5 and add an insole. But upon trying the 7s again this morning, they actually fit pretty well so I did end up changing my order for a pair of 7, not 7.5 I'm just hoping that even with my feet swelling, eventually, they'll stretch out a little bit to make it okay for when my feet do swell later in the day/evening. Guess we'll see what happens. At least I'll know from this experience what size I have to get for my next pair.