Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. izzyfuld

izzyfuld Well-Known Member

ive been wearing my addisons without padded socks for about a year now. i have no complaints and i LOVE these boots but am interested in using padded socks as someone mentioned earlier. where can i find such socks? do they do much? what do you guys think about them?

2. unrooted

unrooted Senior member

Post up your impressions, I'm not sure how I feel about the backing either.

3. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

for $55 you can get a great belt from from filson as well

4. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Filson makes great belts, but the brown they use is super dark - almost black. Reminds me of Blundstone's Stout Brown. I'd love it if they offered a more traditional brown color.

5. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

I know this may sound a little, foreign, but if one happened to have a filson (or any other quality leather) belt in dark brown, you MAY be able to take the shoe polish approach of lightening up the color a bit. That discussion was going on in the Allen Edmonds appreciation thread, and apparently you can lighten to a degree if you choose the next shade lighter shoe polish. It makes sense, although not as easy as darkening. The one condition you may approach is that belts can sometimes, as they are pretty thick, be tanned to the point of holding in a lot of oil and whatnot (to be able to wrap without cracking, be pliable, maintain a shine, and not need a lot of maintenance). You can even feel this at times when you touch the belt and feel like it's slick, but no residue is left on your hand. Anyway, I'm rambling, back to the point: if it's heavily tanned it may not take the light polish as easy, so you might want to consider using a saddle soap or other mild conditioner/cleaner to prep the belt to take the lighter polish.

Anyway, that's my answer for a question that wasn't asked.

6. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Another great source for bridle leather belts is Narragansett Leathers. Very affordable and come in a range of colors and buckles. I am very happy with mine. Narragansett has been mentioned before on the forum, so do a search.

7. izzyfuld

izzyfuld Well-Known Member

8. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

Don't know how I missed this earlier. Yes, they do wonders. My background is long cross country trains (in the military: humps), and socks (and your feet in general) are the difference between comfort and misery. Wool socks are amazing. They are soft against the skin, naturally regulate temperature and pull moisture away from your feet, eat odor, and can be created in such a way to provide great comfort in the heel and sole of your feet. The downside? Not exactly cheap, compared to normal socks, but often less expensive than the designer socks you see on here. My recommendations:

Darn Tough Vermont
    SmartWool
    Icebreaker

They've all supplied socks, successfully, to military customers and they hold up very well. You can also use sales outlets like sierra trading post. A final note, make sure you get the ones with titles like "cushioned hiker" and "thick". They make wool socks that span the entire spectrum of socks, go for the thicker, cushioned ones.

9. unrooted

unrooted Senior member

They have some of the nicest looking briefcases I've seen, especially for the cost. I'll probably buy one of thos in the next few months.

10. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

They have suspended briefcase orders due to overwhelming demand. Still make belts!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

OT, but how do you care for these? Can you throw them in the wash? Thanks for info.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Washing machine. I wear Smart Wool hikers, Fox River running/sport and of course Filson Merino wool when it gets really cold. No fuss no muss.....

13. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Thanks. Air dry then or is the dryer OK?

14. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

Z

I just use the dryer but I turn the socks inside out for the washer and dryer.

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Dryer is OK but on the thicker wool socks air drying them works much better.