1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison Boot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by designprofessor, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yeah. This is after a year of using thme as work boots and light hikers. It's a cross post from my review thread.

OK so here's what my Addisons look like after a long Winter. Definetly battle scarred but that's to be expected. The weather in MO has been rather mild so rock hunting was the activity of choice. These boots have spent many hours on the gravel and mud bars of the Missouri, Loutre, and Osage rivers not to mention a few dozen small creeks. If anyone here spends any time doing the same thing I'm sure you know all about the black gooey muck found along a river basin. Way nastier than any cow pasture I've drudged through for sure. It also explains why some of the stains are here to stay. I don't think my leather guy could buff them out but then again he may have some magic up his sleeve as well. We'll find out when I get these resoled. I'm thinking this pair might get done up with a rather aggressive Vibram full sole similar to what's found on a logger's boot.

While I was at it I also oiled up my Saddleback satchel which is with me on all these rock collecting activities. Dang thing is tough as nails as well. All I did to both of them was to wipe off the mud and apply liberal doses of boot oil to each. Both are good to go for the Spring rock hunting season....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bali26

Bali26 Member

What does the sole look like? My leather soles always gets these many tiny rocks embedded into it. About size of half a grain of rice. I take em out and it leaves a hole behind. The leather sole is definitely these shoes' drawback.

The topy I put didnt work out, i took it off. It was letting water in from one of its tiny pinholes.

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The soles are worn but I don't seem to have the little rock problem you mentioned. I do however have a small cut on one sole from a sharp piece of flint. Other than that no problems even though they've been around a lot of wet environments. Since I'll be wearing these boots around a lot of scree and gravel is the reason why I'm contemplating a full Vibram resole instead of half soles. Flint shards are unbelievably sharp and I don't want one going through the sole into my foot. That would be a day ruiner for sure.

4. accordion

accordion Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

6. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

I recevied a pair of brown Addisons a couple weeks ago and I'm having my local cobbler install Vibram half sole saver to the original leather soles. He's doing these to the brand new soles, having only been worn on carpet. He said he'd do them for $30. He likes Vibram and claims that they are the best for a "sole saver". I should get them back in a few days so I'll post pictures then.

Ben

7. mistercitizen

Okay, finally getting around to posting pictures of my Addisons in brown with the Vibram half sole saver that was done by my local cobbler:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My cobbler did a great job putting on the Vibram half sole savers, but he applied black edge dressing around the outside of the sole, covering up the antique, stacked wood look. I removed quite a bit of the edge dressing, but there's still a little left. These got a good brushing and a coat of Obenauf's LP. The Obenauf's did not darken up the brown CXL leather a bit, but it did dull the surface a little. Still, they look great.

Ben

8. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Just ordered a pair of factory 2nds, can't wait to get them.

I am a little confused with the prep though. Do I do Sno-seal first then followed by Obenauf's LP then followed by any shoe polish?

edit: Or is it Snoseal OR Obenauf's LP.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  9. LeatherMcWhip

LeatherMcWhip Member

Depending on your color I found that the Snoseal darkened the leather quite a bit. If you're going for look over utility you can probably forgo the Snoseal.

10. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Thanks.

I ordered Obenauf's LP since I got the tan. Assuming it actually ships :/

Ordered Friday morning and it still hasn't shipped out.

11. LeatherMcWhip

LeatherMcWhip Member

yea, the tan is too beautiful to mess with.

12. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

:( Order canceled. Will have to hunt down another...

Could someone confirm sizing for me? I have a wide foot so I wear a 9 in Nikes. Would I be better getting the 8.5 or 8?

13. LeatherMcWhip

LeatherMcWhip Member

8. And you'll have plenty of room.

14. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Got me a pair :) Should come Thursday or Friday hopefully!

15. mistercitizen

Wearing the Addisons today in brown CXL:

[​IMG]

Ben

16. Ben31

Ben31 Member

Looking to order a pair of Addison Two Tone boots. I am wondering if there are any good and reputable discount sites that I should order from, or if I should just get them directly and pay full price?

Also I wear a 12 tennis shoe and was wondering about size.

17. Ben31

Ben31 Member

So I just received my new 11.5 Wolverine 1000 Mile two tone Addisons from STP and they are still a little bit big. I normally wear a size 12 shoe and ordered them as it was recommended to get a half size down. I'm not very familiar with boots and how they fit (break in period, etc) but I ordered a size 11 to see if they will fit better than the 11.5's.

STP has been great with customer service and price matching my original pair with my new ones as the coupon I used expired from the first pair.

. [​IMG]

18. melvinudall

melvinudall New Member

Greetings gentlemen …. my maiden post
    I’ve been lurking around this forum for a while now Your posts have been a fountain of valuable information
    Let me ask you a question now
    Got these Addison for a couple of months now, used Angelus Dubbin until now with great results
    Received Saphir as a gift and tried it yesterday; with rather disastrous results
    The leather changed colour, feels adhesive and rubbery Brushing done nothing, using a cloth made a fibers stick to the leather
    I thing that I need to strip it to bare leather but afraid I might loose colour in the process
    If you could share your wisdom with me as to what to do, I would greatly appreciate it
    Cheers …. Melvin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. LeatherMcWhip

LeatherMcWhip Member

Strange. Saphir is a cream based polish shouldn't be that gummy. I'd try warming up that boot and "blotting" off the saphir before I tried to strip the finish.

20. melvinudall

melvinudall New Member

Will try .... Thanks for the advise