• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WvG really needs more shoes. Their first batch was so good, you can really tell with the quality!

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never doubt WvG quality but the styling was kinda niche.
That's kind of the difficulty though, while I agree that in didn't work out in this case, it would be really tough for Mauro to differentiate himself from other brands if he sold the same sneakers. EP is really jumping off right now with sneaker options and even Rancourt has some. No one would be buying dress shoes from WvG instead of AE or Carmina. For something like footwear you really do have to go niche and hope it sells. It didn't work out this time but hopefully it does next time.

kwanon

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not even a price thing. Now at $60 I'm still hemming and hawing over those Big Bubbas cause I'm just not sure they'll work for me.

DarkDestiny

Reaction score
I wish I had that issue.. at $60 I'd find use for them. I just wish I had a way to try them on.

NotClever

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not even a price thing. Now at $60 I'm still hemming and hawing over those Big Bubbas cause I'm just not sure they'll work for me.
Yeah. I went for them at this price point because even though I think they only work in a few fits (with my Enzo chinos) that's fine at $60. I love the leather and the profile, though, so I wish they worked with more stuff.

The Nicos I unfortunately can't really see wearing. The wingtip sneaker thing is just kinda poisoned water for me after all the goofy semi-dress shoe things like that I've seen at crappy stores. Would have loved the other options that Mauro posted samples for way back when, though.

HeavenResign

Reaction score
I feel like the bubba is stupid easy to style, maybe i have a wrong read on a lot of wvg's customers.

They blow my silent damir doma sneakers out of the water in terms of construction/materials, for the same retail price - not including the insane discounts on the bubba now.

It's true I don't wear mine much either, and for the same reason mentioned re: styling, but I'm wearing Julius skirt-shorts and an oversized tee right now. Feel like people who regularly wear button downs/chinos/etc would get tons of use out of the bubbas

I wear mine when I need to look normal for family

Last edited:

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there was anybody else on here that wore that kind of stuff...cool.

I haven't bought a pair because I really don't like Margom soles, but I'm still considering it at the current price. I'd think that, in theory, they'd be just about as easy to style as Achilles Mids...that's definitely the vibe I've gotten from a few of the fit pics I've seen. And Achilles Mids are really easy to style.

I also think that WvG could find a niche with shoes/boots, despite all the competition in that market. Yes, they'll get ignored if they make another pair of brown derbies and wingtips or whatever, but there are so many ways to stand out. Margiela, Dries van Noten, Raf Simons, Rider, and even on the simple end Mark McNairy have all structured most of their shoe/boot lineups around taking traditional silhouettes, adding in one or two interesting features for each model (whether an unusual leather/finish, unconventional construction, different soles, different stitching, a couple added/removed details, all kinds of stuff), and then executing those silhouettes perfectly using beautiful lasts. To me, the shoe/boot market actually provides even more opportunities to stand out based on immaculate production and execution than the sneaker market does, and those things, after all, are what WvG is so good at.

I'd think WvG could do some brilliant work on crepe-sole derbies, or suede chukkas, or combat boots for the winter. But maybe I'm just impressing my own preferences onto others.

For what it's worth, I did buy a pair of the Nicos for my brother, and he loves them.

HeavenResign

Reaction score

I didn't know there was anybody else on here that wore that kind of stuff...cool.  

Haha yeah, wvg's roll neck tees are insane for the price which is how I got into the brand, I only buy other tees when I need something really elongated, and even then I buy used, can't justify spending $200 on some jersey or silk blend that isn't nearly as durable as the sorona bamboo imo

Last edited:

GoodTwillHuntin

Reaction score
It might not be there on mobile, where I now do all my browsing. I've had to email in my changes.

kwanon

Reaction score

Yeah. I went for them at this price point because even though I think they only work in a few fits (with my Enzo chinos) that's fine at $60. I love the leather and the profile, though, so I wish they worked with more stuff.

The Nicos I unfortunately can't really see wearing. The wingtip sneaker thing is just kinda poisoned water for me after all the goofy semi-dress shoe things like that I've seen at crappy stores. Would have loved the other options that Mauro posted samples for way back when, though.

I know the ****** shoes you speak of, but the Nicos are rad. Actually surprisingly subtle since everything is suede. No gloss makes all the layers blend a bit together visually if you're not looking too close. But when you do look closely it still works. I'm not expressing it well but it's a feature, not a drawback. They don't telegraph as those poorly constructed hybrids with garbage leather, at all.

single origin

Reaction score
Mauro posted these in the other thread, not sure if he's still going to make them in future since the bubbas or nicos didn't sell well. I'd snag these if he made them either in all suede or without the patent leather.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads