• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Woe unto you, Chrysler owners

Kevin

Senior Member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
280
Reaction score
1
I've just received word that my 2000 Chrysler Concorde with 90,000 miles is totaled due to catastrophic engine failure caused by oil sludge. This problem is systemic of the 2.7L engine models; various sources all indicate that the engine was poorly designed and doesn't lubricate properly, eventually leading to a buildup of sludge even after regular oil changes that eventually brings the precise mechanical bits to a grinding, permanent halt.

While I'm gritting my teeth and accepting my loss, it's my civic duty to post a warning here to owners of the following vehicles with the 2.7L V-6 engine:

1998-2002 Dodge Intrepid
1998-2002 Chrysler Concorde
1998-2002 Chrysler Sebring
1998-2002 Dodge Stratus
1998-2002 Chrysler 300M

Sell your car. Not now, but RIGHT NOW. New engines (the only repair) start at around $5,000. More info is available at any number of sites, including the Center for Auto Safety.

In the meantime, I'm considering joining the pending class-action lawsuit against Chrysler, though it seems doubtful anything will come of it. I'm also accepting suggestions on used car models under $5k.
 

mr_economy

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
I will never consider buying a Chrysler and will encourage all my friends/family not to buy Chrysler for as long as I live thanks to the experience we've had with them. Three minivans, all in the supposed "luxury" Town & Country minivan line had their transmissions die at almost the exact same mileage. This 7-year, 70,000 mile powertrain warranty they are now touting as a "feature" is actually a necessity - the likelihood of your Chrysler's poorly-built transmission dying on you in that time is near 100%! It's a shame a company owned by the proud name of Daimler produces trash like the Chrysler line.
 

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
19,178
Reaction score
14
 

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
12,262
Reaction score
20
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim


Exactly. Dr. Z will make this right.
 

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
19,178
Reaction score
14
I'll just say that I like my 2004 Dodge Stratus. I have a little over 50k on it and so far have had no sludge.
 

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
20,008
Reaction score
99
Originally Posted by mr_economy
I will never consider buying a Chrysler and will encourage all my friends/family not to buy Chrysler for as long as I live thanks to the experience we've had with them. Three minivans, all in the supposed "luxury" Town & Country minivan line had their transmissions die at almost the exact same mileage. This 7-year, 70,000 mile powertrain warranty they are now touting as a "feature" is actually a necessity - the likelihood of your Chrysler's poorly-built transmission dying on you in that time is near 100%! It's a shame a company owned by the proud name of Daimler produces trash like the Chrysler line.

My mom used to have a T&C Limited, and it was great until about 50K miles and then everything went to shit, both the tranny and the A/C died at about the same time. She then bought a Toyota and was insanely happy and now just bought a Honda. All I can say is that the Japanese have got their act together.

Jon.
 

Aureus

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'll just say that I like my 2004 Dodge Stratus. I have a little over 50k on it and so far have had no sludge.

The 2004 Stratus uses a different engine than the 2002 Stratus. You don't need to worry about oil sludge.
 

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by imageWIS
My mom used to have a T&C Limited, and it was great until about 50K miles and then everything went to shit, both the tranny and the A/C died at about the same time. She then bought a Toyota and was insanely happy and now just bought a Honda. All I can say is that the Japanese have got their act together.

Jon.



Yep - Toyota's are bulletproof

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/25/news...reut/index.htm

introduce complexity and variety into the system and they have the same problems that happen in the US
 

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Joined
Mar 2, 2002
Messages
10,305
Reaction score
126
02 PT Cruiser

84K no problems, other than being hit by dumb-ass Texans 2.5 times per year
 

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
5,664
Reaction score
7
I wish I could walk to work. But my Nissan with 103K on it has had no major mechanical problems.
 

briancl

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
1,220
Reaction score
1
And DaimlerChrysler is the one that is in the least amount of trouble...
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
That is a shame - so sorry about your car.

My 98 jeep has 130K right now and still runs well. Well, after I replaced the AC last summer. Oh, and the tranny needs a rebuild.

At least DC seems to be keeping some of their brainpower - they're hemorraging at Ford, according to yesterday's WSJ.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,123
Messages
9,229,472
Members
193,737
Latest member
Sebastian R
Top