Woe unto you, Chrysler owners

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kevin, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

I've just received word that my 2000 Chrysler Concorde with 90,000 miles is totaled due to catastrophic engine failure caused by oil sludge. This problem is systemic of the 2.7L engine models; various sources all indicate that the engine was poorly designed and doesn't lubricate properly, eventually leading to a buildup of sludge even after regular oil changes that eventually brings the precise mechanical bits to a grinding, permanent halt.

While I'm gritting my teeth and accepting my loss, it's my civic duty to post a warning here to owners of the following vehicles with the 2.7L V-6 engine:

1998-2002 Dodge Intrepid
    1998-2002 Chrysler Concorde
    1998-2002 Chrysler Sebring
    1998-2002 Dodge Stratus
    1998-2002 Chrysler 300M

Sell your car. Not now, but RIGHT NOW. New engines (the only repair) start at around $5,000. More info is available at any number of sites, including the Center for Auto Safety.

In the meantime, I'm considering joining the pending class-action lawsuit against Chrysler, though it seems doubtful anything will come of it. I'm also accepting suggestions on used car models under $5k.

2. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

I will never consider buying a Chrysler and will encourage all my friends/family not to buy Chrysler for as long as I live thanks to the experience we've had with them. Three minivans, all in the supposed "luxury" Town & Country minivan line had their transmissions die at almost the exact same mileage. This 7-year, 70,000 mile powertrain warranty they are now touting as a "feature" is actually a necessity - the likelihood of your Chrysler's poorly-built transmission dying on you in that time is near 100%! It's a shame a company owned by the proud name of Daimler produces trash like the Chrysler line.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

[​IMG]

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Cue line from Fight Club:

"I apply the 'formula': Take A, the number of units in the field, times B, the probable rate of failure, times C, the cost of the average out-of-court settlement, equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

"What car company did you say you work for?"

"A major one."

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

[​IMG]

Exactly. Dr. Z will make this right.

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I'll just say that I like my 2004 Dodge Stratus. I have a little over 50k on it and so far have had no sludge.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I will never consider buying a Chrysler and will encourage all my friends/family not to buy Chrysler for as long as I live thanks to the experience we've had with them. Three minivans, all in the supposed "luxury" Town & Country minivan line had their transmissions die at almost the exact same mileage. This 7-year, 70,000 mile powertrain warranty they are now touting as a "feature" is actually a necessity - the likelihood of your Chrysler's poorly-built transmission dying on you in that time is near 100%! It's a shame a company owned by the proud name of Daimler produces trash like the Chrysler line.

My mom used to have a T&C Limited, and it was great until about 50K miles and then everything went to shit, both the tranny and the A/C died at about the same time. She then bought a Toyota and was insanely happy and now just bought a Honda. All I can say is that the Japanese have got their act together.

Jon.

8. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

I'll just say that I like my 2004 Dodge Stratus. I have a little over 50k on it and so far have had no sludge.

The 2004 Stratus uses a different engine than the 2002 Stratus. You don't need to worry about oil sludge.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It's all a bunch of marketing, and accountants now.

10. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

My mom used to have a T&C Limited, and it was great until about 50K miles and then everything went to shit, both the tranny and the A/C died at about the same time. She then bought a Toyota and was insanely happy and now just bought a Honda. All I can say is that the Japanese have got their act together.

Jon.

Yep - Toyota's are bulletproof

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/25/news...reut/index.htm

introduce complexity and variety into the system and they have the same problems that happen in the US

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

02 PT Cruiser

84K no problems, other than being hit by dumb-ass Texans 2.5 times per year

12. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

Yep - Toyota's are bulletproof

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/25/news...reut/index.htm

introduce complexity and variety into the system and they have the same problems that happen in the US

Yep, I was considering buying a 2006 Avalon until I read about its myriad quality problems.

13. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I wish I could walk to work. But my Nissan with 103K on it has had no major mechanical problems.

14. briancl

briancl Senior member

And DaimlerChrysler is the one that is in the least amount of trouble...

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That is a shame - so sorry about your car.

My 98 jeep has 130K right now and still runs well. Well, after I replaced the AC last summer. Oh, and the tranny needs a rebuild.

At least DC seems to be keeping some of their brainpower - they're hemorraging at Ford, according to yesterday's WSJ.