• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is the first installment of a weekly thread where new and old users alike can ask a quick question and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good work, Murl!
fing02[1].gif

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is CM casual? The thread does not provide a good explanation...

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is CM casual? The thread does not provide a good explanation...

Casual wear influenced by the rules, traditions and fit of classic menswear, as opposed to more modern street wear. Think Kennedy on holiday rather than Hedi Slimane in Berlin.

Last edited:

Father of One

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm new here and not familiar with the precise etiquette of this site, so with your forbearance I'd love to ask a quick question that may not go down too well:

The Alfred Sargent Carroll loafer in tobacco suede is quite the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. However, I'm not quite at the stage in life to afford £795 for them (despite being a bit of a shoe pervert). I've been searching around for something that might come close to the sleekness of design, refined styling, gorgeous colour and incredible looking sole of this shoe, but a bit cheaper, in vain. The only thing that comes close for me is a Jeffery West loafer I've seen, but that has a red sole which I'm not keen on. Has anyone got any suggestions of tobacco suede, sleek (not pie-crust, not deck-shoe style...) loafers that could be in the same ball-park, but more in the £200-300 range?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Chris

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Chris. That's exactly the kind of question this thread is intended for.

I think you should check out http://jfitzpatrickfootwear.com. I think you will like the Ravenna model...especially the price.

Last edited:

Father of One

Reaction score
Good stuff. That's certainly an attractive shoe, and I'd not heard of the company, so I'll look forward to having a dig there :)

All suggestions welcome!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good stuff. That's certainly an attractive shoe, and I'd not heard of the company, so I'll look forward to having a dig there :)

All suggestions welcome!

Justin is well known as the "Shoe Snob". He has a great blog that chronicles his journey to start a shoe company and loads of other shoe info.

Carmina is another great option that would fit into your budget. We have a couple Affilate Vendors that carry them and you could also MTO any design you'd like for a slight increase in price. Check out these threads for more info:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/338047/...e-official-affiliate-thread/9030#post_7678377

http://www.styleforum.net/t/350127/...e-official-affiliate-thread/5010#post_7643091

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Casual wear influenced by the rules, traditions and fit of classic menswear, as opposed to more modern street wear. Think Kennedy on holiday rather than Hedi Slimane in Berlin.

It's interesting because SW&D WAYWT is pretty much everything. What you mentioned conjures up images of Brooks Bros / Polo catalogs. :confused:

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's interesting because SW&D WAYWT is pretty much everything. What you mentioned conjures up images of Brooks Bros / Polo catalogs. :confused:

Yep, I know what you mean. The CM side are definitely sticklers for rules and tradition. It's getting a little more laxed these days, but nothing like SW&D. NMWA is definitely responsible for infusing this side with some interesting casual wares that may have been "rule breakers" in the past.

For the record, I really like kgfan's fits and I think they definitely have a place in Casual CM.

I like the way how this thread is turning out so far.

Father of One

Reaction score
Great. Thanks for the suggestion.
I've not seen anything yet that gives me quite the shoegasm that the AS Carroll does, but there are some pretty damn nice alternatives.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait and get what you really want. Reach out to A Fine Pair of Shoes and see if you can do a MTO through them. They are an AV on the forum and have great prices on AS....SF member discount too, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads