• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wjk and Related Brands

shugon

Reaction score
Hello!

Recently I discovered wjk, and I fell in love with it and the beautiful clothing it makes. While searching for its website, I've stumbled upon more than one. First, there's wjk.jp, which seems to be the "main" website. wjk-ec.jp, which looks like a website for their official online shop (a separate and standalone website for the brand's online shop is a common thing with Japanese companies).

Then, things get trickier as there's also wjk-exclusive.com and wjkosaka.com, and here are my questions:

1. What's the relation between the "main" wjk entity, wjk x Exclusive and wjk osaka?
  2. For what purpose the latter two exist?
  3. Do all of them carry the same products?
I know that it is common for Japanese companies to have a unique corporate structure, and some cases, such as this, require deeper research…

Moreover, I would love to hear some background information about wjk in general (who's behind it, when was it established etc.)

Thanks in advance!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We met the founder of the wjk brand, Jun Hashimoto, at Pitti Uomo a few times. It might be worth searching the forum for those interviews and articles we did with him. His leather jackets, in particular, are pretty special.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

tellure

Reaction score
I love their stuff too but man sizing is a pain.. even a large is too small for me (a slim 48). I recently proxied this hoodie from Japan.. cool material, nice cut, but too slim in the chest even in a Large (the biggest size they made for this style). I probably could have just worn it open but the RiRi zipper was busted and wouldn't zip up so I sent it back for a refund.

2159hj04-01.jpg

2159hj04-03.jpg

2159hj04-04.jpg

tellure

Reaction score
Also a note about their boots.. awesome quality and some classic CDIEM shapes but ironically the opposite sizing problem.. they're about 1-2 sizes larger than tagged.

I bought a pair in 43 (my usual size).. way too large.. now I have a pair in 42 (pictured below.. calf suede side-zips) which are still a bit too large and I'm thinking about selling so I can go all the way down to a 41.

Amazing quality though.. some really great value in the upper mid tier boot range.
114-201506173564_2.jpg

114-201506173564_3.jpg

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i thought jun left wjk to start his eponymous brand

shugon

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input.
His leather jackets, in particular, are pretty special.

Oh, yes... Actually, I believe wjk makes the PERFECT leather jacket. Those RiRi zippers make my mouth water.

So let me get two things straight:
  1. Every brand Mr. Hashimoto headed PRIOR to wjk is now defunct?
  2. If he is no longer at wjk, where is he now?
And I'd still love to have a dissection of the wjk website "complex".

Thanks again!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input.

Oh, yes... Actually, I believe wjk makes the PERFECT leather jacket. Those RiRi zippers make my mouth water.

So let me get two things straight:
  1. Every brand Mr. Hashimoto headed PRIOR to wjk is now defunct?
  2. If he is no longer at wjk, where is he now?
And I'd still love to have a dissection of the wjk website "complex".

Thanks again!
Jun Hashimoto now has his own, eponymous brand. I haven't seen him in a while, but at least as of 2 years ago, he was still operational and at Pitti Uomo.

I don't know if he headed any brand before wjk. AFAIK, like many good designers, he truly started at Caroe Diem, which was the launching point for many brands, including MA+.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
And I believe at least part of what he did at wjk was highly influenced by CDiem, if not a continuation of sorts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the boots were basically the exact same lasts etc., just made in Japan. I only have one wjk item, a hoodie in the same heavy jersey cotton used by ma+ and Continues labels. It's great, but yes incredibly slim fitting.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I believe at least part of what he did at wjk was highly influenced by CDiem, if not a continuation of sorts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the boots were basically the exact same lasts etc., just made in Japan. I only have one wjk item, a hoodie in the same heavy jersey cotton used by ma+ and Continues labels. It's great, but yes incredibly slim fitting.

I don't know so much about the wjk boots, but when I saw some of the Jun Hashimoto boots, and remarked that they looked like some C. Diem boots, he told me that he had them made because he wanted to wear them, but obviously, C.Diem boots were no longer being made. iirc, he said that they were "the same, but made in Japan."

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
they look similar, but the shape isn't the same. definitely not just a mij difference.

Lohikaarme

Reaction score
Did WJK quality (e.g. of fabrics) change after Jun Hashimoto left? Does JH also use the same really nice materials as older WJK? Were WJK!CDiem boots (and the similar JH style) also done using the same leathers Altieri used?

the kidcrash

Reaction score
WJK was founded by Jun and a guy named Iwao who left after Jun took the brand in a more commercial direction. Iwao now does the fabric sourcing and dying for MA+. WJK's quality, to be honest, isn't anything special. The older stuff from before it became a bigger brand was nice, but nothing terribly exciting, it wore its influences on its sleeve - no pun intended. If you stumble on it on Yahoo for cheap it's fine. Maybe worth hunting for cheap C Diem replacement, i suppose. It's currently designed/produced by the guy who designs AKM, both are staple brands for Men's Joker magazine. Lots of bell-bottom/flared jeans, camo, knits, loafers, and odd-colored leathers aimed at adult men, with lots of basics and such. Most of it is made in China now, though I think I've seen some MIJ stuff. For simple basics there's plenty of secondhand options but you could do just as well with Camiera/N4/whatever

Jun's label is pretty close along those same lines. He still makes some nicer clothes, but a lot the collections are more commercial, as that's what pays the bills. For example, when I was living in Nagoya, the Jun store was promoting denim joggers and designer running shoes for SS16. I wasn't impressed by any of the fabrics I saw in store or in the secondhand stores, though he's capable of making nice clothes and wearable staple pieces. Not sure what was on display at Pitti Uomo, but the vast majority of clothes I saw in Japan were pretty uninteresting. Kinda like Backlash in a way, capable of producing some nice stuff but collections are padded with lots of unappealing things. Also both Jun and Backlash have made some fairly nice leathers, along with plenty of meh leathers.

dont know about the boots

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScentedClown