• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

With All These Suits Posted, What Do You Guys Wear In The Summer?

The_Game07

Reaction score
In the WAYWT thread, it seems every post has someone in a suit, and granted, a suit in the winter is a great look and also keeps the person warm, but what do you guys wear in the summer, on these +36 degrees °C days where a dark suit would basically burn you alive?

I have started a collection polo's for this summer as I am not a fan of short sleeved shirts but find this is about as diverse as it gets, and at a stretch, it becomes either polo's or V neck t shirts.

If anyone has any pics from last summer, please post them or even ideas as to what to wear and give people like me a chance to change my wardrobe before its too late
smile.gif

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think a cotton or linen suit is a good alternative to wool in the summer. Knit polos, linen shirts, khaki cotton trousers and a pair of white low top sneakers are also good options when you don't wanna be slumming around in a tee and jeans.

If you do decide to go with a wool suit, perhaps a tropical wool or wool blended with other fabrics can work. I have a really baggy charcoal suit from Y's by Yohji that I wear with one of my YY long sleeved polos or tees sometimes. Definitely not appropriate for work, but comfortable as hell to walk around in.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
I walk from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned car to my air conditioned office. I wear a worsted suit. I hang my flannels and camel hair until fall, otherwise I don't change much.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even in the heat and humidity of Washington, DC's summers, I indeed wear a suit every day. The only difference is that the fabrics are lighter in weight (8 ounce generally) and often in color.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Khaki poplin suits. Seersucker suits. Madras sport coats.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Light weight suits.

The_Game07

Reaction score
Seems like everyone in this thread is along the same lines as me
laugh.gif
There isn't much choice really is there
frown.gif
Winter is far the best season for wearing clothes IMO

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Light weight suits.

+1 H&S "Dragonfly" is a good book for summer weight suitings.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I work in a professional position with a Fortune 500 company, I'd be laughed out of the building if I wore a suit. Summer runs 4-5 months here at a constant 99 degrees, and I walk half a mile to work. It's a major accomplishment for me not to give in to wearing shorts. That said, I'm also struggling with how to keep things interesting come May. This will be my first post-SF summer so I'd imagine it'll be a learning experience.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shorts.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Game07
Seems like everyone in this thread is along the same lines as me
laugh.gif

There isn't much choice really is there
frown.gif

Winter is far the best season for wearing clothes IMO

Summer is the best season. No overcoat, so the suit must look good not only at the office, but also in the streets. Light-weight wool and summer fabrics is the key. I am currently hesitating between Scabal Riviera 801015 and Zegna ref. 660030 for a summer sport coat.
The only problem with summer: air conditioning makes it far cooler at the office than in the streets, so sometimes the summer weight fabrics actually are not warm enough for the office environment.

madison avenue

Reaction score
very simple. In the summer I stay by the pool all day long. Once the sun goes down I go out pants shoes shirt and a sports coat. sometimes shorts with loafers and a linen shirt.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I basically spend my entire summer in white shirts, khaki trousers and brown shoes. It's extremely sad. God I hate summer.

Why white shirts? Summer is the season for color!
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads