• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

With all of the dating and looks threads.....

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
... this really gets it right.

My wife forwarded this to me this morning, and I do not believe that our needs have ever been put more succinctly:

WOMAN'S POEM
Before I lay me down to sleep,
I pray for a man, who's not a creep,
One who's handsome, smart and strong.
One who loves to listen long,
One who thinks before he speaks,
One who'll call, not wait for weeks.
I pray he's gainfully employed,
When I spend his cash, won't be annoyed.
Pulls out my chair and opens my door,
Massages my back and begs to do more.
Oh! Send me a man who'll make love to my mind,
Knows what to answer to "how big is my behind?"
I pray that this man will love me to no end,
And always be my very best friend.

MAN'S POEM
I pray for a deaf-mute nymphomaniac with huge boobs
who owns a liquor store and a golf course.
This doesn't rhyme and I don't give a shit

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

My wife forwarded this to me this morning, and I do not believe that our needs have ever been put more succinctly:

WOMAN'S POEM
Before I lay me down to sleep,
I pray for a man, who's not a creep,
One who's handsome, smart and strong.
One who loves to listen long,
One who thinks before he speaks,
One who'll call, not wait for weeks.
I pray he's gainfully employed,
When I spend his cash, won't be annoyed.
Pulls out my chair and opens my door,
Massages my back and begs to do more.
Oh! Send me a man who'll make love to my mind,
Knows what to answer to "how big is my behind?"
I pray that this man will love me to no end,
And always be my very best friend.
EDIT: And you say I'm being unreasonable :p

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience (personal and by observation) the guys that follow those rules for women the best get dumped first. Can I get a witness?!?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Hysterical! Must forward to my wife who could probably use a good laugh as she prepares for first semester law school finals. These days, quality time involves contract and tort law flash cards.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hysterical! Must forward to my wife who could probably use a good laugh as she prepares for first semester law school finals. These days, quality time involves contract and tort law flash cards.

So who's billing who by the hour?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
So who's billing who by the hour?

Sadly, neither of us.

I was looking for a barter agreement between us, but at the moment I'm the supportive hubby. She's got four more years of part-time school and then it's contract law for her. Joy!

Then again she was supportive of my b-school, but - holy cow - law school seems worlds different (and around ten times harder) than b-school. Plus, I've been at it a while so most of the classes were old hat.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
In my experience (personal and by observation) the guys that follow those rules for women the best get dumped first. Can I get a witness?!?

Amen, my brother!

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't like golf...

Then you must not have struck enough flush golf shots. I can only imagine that it is what heroin must be like. Unless you have lots of free time you should stay away from the driving range.

Mentos

Reaction score

That statement runs contrary to all of my experience. I think many guys equate a man who does all that with someone who is vulnerable and out of control of the relationship. In fact the two are wholly unconnected--you can be a gentleman and responsive to her needs without being dumping material. The old saw that women want a bad boy may be true, but doing the things described above don't make you a bad boy, and you can be exciting to her even if you're kind to her. They don't usually want to be treated badly, but they don't want to be bored or needed to death, either.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
That statement runs contrary to all of my experience. I think many guys equate a man who does all that with someone who is vulnerable and out of control of the relationship. In fact the two are wholly unconnected--you can be a gentleman and responsive to her needs without being dumping material. The old saw that women want a bad boy may be true, but doing the things described above don't make you a bad boy, and you can be exciting to her even if you're kind to her. They don't usually want to be treated badly, but they don't want to be bored or needed to death, either.

Generally I think you're correct. However some women thrive off of drama, even if the that also means they're being treated terribly.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hello Iam-

How did you meet your special girl..and know that she was the one?

-Danny Wilson

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Generally I think you're correct. However some women thrive off of drama, even if the that also means they're being treated terribly.

Absolutely. Avoid them on sight. The good ones are not looking for that. That's a big part of what makes them the good ones.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'll agree with this. Obviously this isn't going to be the case 100% of the time, but I think to a certain extent it's true in most cases. It's like the old analogy you hear as a kid when your teacher tells you the importance of being different: the world would be a very boring place if every one was exactly like you so let's celebrate the differences in everyone. Yin/Yang. Girls want a challenge. To quote a favorite film, "Dogs don't chase rocks. They chase the rabbits jumping in and out of bushes." I wouldn't equate being difficult when it comes to adhering to a woman's wishes with causing "drama," rather, you're being interesting. You're being you and staying true to yourself which is what I'd want a girl to respect me for rather than being that guy who "Pulls out my chair and opens my door"...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilson brother
Hello Iam-

How did you meet your special girl..and know that she was the one?

-Danny Wilson

Dannybaby- I met her at a party, and knew right away. We have been together fifteen years and pretty much set since day one.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40