• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wish me luck.

mistahlee

Reaction score
Have been ordered to evacuate my waterfront house in the projected path of Hurricane Charley.  

Called my tailor.  Told him I am taking only a few cherished possessions.  These include suits, jackets and trousers made by him.  He was flattered, I hope.

What articles would you take, if you feared your house might be gone when you come back?

Anyway, as I say, wish me luck.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jeez. Good luck with that, and hope you come back to a house in one piece. I'd run around like a chicken with my head cut off if I had to leave in a day or whatever- wouldn't even think to post about it or call my tailor.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would take anything that you would feel sad about losing -- and that doesn't necessarily mean your most expensive possessions.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good luck. Over here on the east coast, we might get the tip of the storm but nothing even remotely close to the eye.

Remember to bring an emergency kit with you wherever you go, you never know when you might need it.

Jon.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd ditch the furniture and stuff too heavy for looters to move. Everything else will go into a van, including my pet cat.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geze man, best of luck to you. Take your computer so that you can keep up with the posts here, you wouldn't want to miss anything.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in addition to the above -

take all your papers - id's, passports, birth certificates, medical records, important financial stuff, (ESPECIALLY CAR/HOME TITLES) etc. ...it's relatively small stuff, but you'd be really set back if that kind of stuff gets ruined/lost/stolen.

i like the van rental idea too.

also you could ship some items to friends/relatives who live in other areas, for safekeeping.

best of luck.

/andrew

ps - after it's over: it's time to renovate using concrete walls.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've designed so that all my possessions, or at least anything I care about to any degree, pack into 2 large suitcases and a messenger bag - my ideal of the "capsule" life works well for situations like this. In my messenger bag goes all my documents, toiletries, and a full change of clothes, my cellphone, extra glasses, essentially everything I would need for a weekend trip. In my suit cases goes everything else - essentially my wardrobe, some books, and my laptop. I would also bring an emergency kit with bandages, medical scissors, disinfectant, tape, energy bars, flashlight, and bottled water.

Gotta be ready to roll at any time, you know?

Good luck man.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as I care about clothes, what really matters to me: pictures (especially family pictures) are all categorized and copied onto digital format and stored in two separate locations, in a family members house on another continent, and a bank safety deposit box in another state. A bit much? Maybe, but I can always get new clothes; but how do I pass down pictures of generations past to future generations?

Jon.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
If I may ask, where do Floridians go during hurricane evacuations.  Over here, you'll find the entire population of southern Louisiana moves to the central and northern parts of the state.  My family always makes a trip to my grandparents' house when forces of nature zero in on us.

On a side note, I never really thought about the possibility of looters -- never heard of any cases either.  Maybe I've been missing something?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I care about clothes, what really matters to me: pictures (especially family pictures) are all categorized and copied onto digital format and stored in two separate locations, in a family members house on another continent, and a bank safety deposit box in another state. A bit much? Maybe, but I can always get new clothes; but how do I pass down pictures of generations past to future generations?

My family traces back 24 generations, and all the family documents are purportedly kept in the ancestral village.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads