1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wish me luck.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mistahlee, Aug 12, 2004.

1. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior Member

Have been ordered to evacuate my waterfront house in the projected path of Hurricane Charley.  

Called my tailor.  Told him I am taking only a few cherished possessions.  These include suits, jackets and trousers made by him.  He was flattered, I hope.

What articles would you take, if you feared your house might be gone when you come back?

Anyway, as I say, wish me luck.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Jeez. Good luck with that, and hope you come back to a house in one piece. I'd run around like a chicken with my head cut off if I had to leave in a day or whatever- wouldn't even think to post about it or call my tailor.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I would take anything that you would feel sad about losing -- and that doesn't necessarily mean your most expensive possessions.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I'd rent a large van, and hurridly move everything of note, or value into the vehicle.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Good luck. Over here on the east coast, we might get the tip of the storm but nothing even remotely close to the eye.

Remember to bring an emergency kit with you wherever you go, you never know when you might need it.

Jon.

6. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

8. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

Hope you're not in Sarasota or Tampa. Best of luck.

9. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

If it were me, I'd ditch the furniture and stuff too heavy for looters to move. Everything else will go into a van, including my pet cat.

10. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

Geze man, best of luck to you. Take your computer so that you can keep up with the posts here, you wouldn't want to miss anything.

11. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

in addition to the above -

take all your papers - id's, passports, birth certificates, medical records, important financial stuff, (ESPECIALLY CAR/HOME TITLES) etc. ...it's relatively small stuff, but you'd be really set back if that kind of stuff gets ruined/lost/stolen.

i like the van rental idea too.

also you could ship some items to friends/relatives who live in other areas, for safekeeping.

best of luck.

/andrew

ps - after it's over: it's time to renovate using concrete walls.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I've designed so that all my possessions, or at least anything I care about to any degree, pack into 2 large suitcases and a messenger bag - my ideal of the "capsule" life works well for situations like this. In my messenger bag goes all my documents, toiletries, and a full change of clothes, my cellphone, extra glasses, essentially everything I would need for a weekend trip. In my suit cases goes everything else - essentially my wardrobe, some books, and my laptop. I would also bring an emergency kit with bandages, medical scissors, disinfectant, tape, energy bars, flashlight, and bottled water.

Gotta be ready to roll at any time, you know?

Good luck man.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

As much as I care about clothes, what really matters to me: pictures (especially family pictures) are all categorized and copied onto digital format and stored in two separate locations, in a family members house on another continent, and a bank safety deposit box in another state. A bit much? Maybe, but I can always get new clothes; but how do I pass down pictures of generations past to future generations?

Jon.

14. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

If I may ask, where do Floridians go during hurricane evacuations.  Over here, you'll find the entire population of southern Louisiana moves to the central and northern parts of the state.  My family always makes a trip to my grandparents' house when forces of nature zero in on us.

On a side note, I never really thought about the possibility of looters -- never heard of any cases either.  Maybe I've been missing something?

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My family traces back 24 generations, and all the family documents are purportedly kept in the ancestral village.