• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wish I could afford any of these

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny is funny. Sorry, rach2jlc!

P.s. lumberjack & Khan is the best descriptor so far...

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the houndstooth one, but it might be a little bit ladies'-Chanel-boucle-knit when seen up close.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
I like the houndstooth one, but it might be a little bit ladies'-Chanel-boucle-knit when seen up close.

crackup[1].gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Funny is funny. Sorry, rach2jlc!

No worries; I agree that they are pretty ugly as presented. Okay... REALLY ugly.

It just seems to me that there are better ways to find humor than in making fun of something that clearly wasn't meant for you and is taken completely out of context simply in order to make fun of it. Take Kiton or Borrelli, in some cases, out of context or in the wrong setting and no doubt it would be worthy of ridicule, too (quite frankly, the guy last year on the Kiton website modeling the clothes looked like a pretty big "dickbag" to me, but, of course, we didn't have a whole thread making fun of him).
wink.gif

Qubaduck

Reaction score
i'm surpised nobody has drawn attention to the male yoga pants yet....

tbabes

Reaction score
You could play frisbee with the sleave buttons on that first coat...

Fabro

Reaction score
This is the inevitable result of using Monty Python's Lumberjack Song as inspiration.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ksm
This is the inevitable result of using Monty Python's Lumberjack Song as inspiration.
BARBER: I cut down trees. I eat my lunch. I go to the lavatory. On Wednesdays I go shoppin' And have buttered scones for tea. MOUNTIES: He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch. He goes to the lavatory. On Wednesdays he goes shopping And has buttered scones for tea. He's a lumberjack, and he's okay. He sleeps all night and he works all day. BARBER: I cut down trees. I skip and jump. I like to press wild flowers. I put on women's clothing And hang around in bars. MOUNTIES: He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps. He likes to press wild flowers. He puts on women's clothing And hangs around in bars?! He's a lumberjack, and he's okay. He sleeps all night and he works all day. BARBER: I cut down trees. I wear high heels, Suspendies, and a bra. I wish I'd been a girlie, Just like my dear Papa. MOUNTIES: He cuts down trees. He wears high heels, Suspendies, and a bra?! [talking] What's this? Wants to be a girlie?! Oh, My! And I thought you were so rugged! Poofter!... [singing] He's a lumberjack, and he's okay. He sleeps all night and he works all day. He's a lumberjack, and he's okaaaaay. He sleeps all night and he works all day.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was tom of finland meets international male.

keep it light, keep it bright, . . .

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I thought it was tom of finland meets international male.

keep it light, keep it bright, . . .

Lol; Tom of Finland... it's been a while since I've heard him mentioned. But, fear not, Andrew MacKenzie is keeping that torch burning.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Don Cherry joke in here somewhere.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
That first pick looks like the new "Burberry for Plus Size Men" line.

SightseeMC

Reaction score
[Opening myself up for the abuse]

Personally, I think the rainbow-pride lumberjacket & scarf could work pretty well, if the dinnerplate button was removed. Also, skip the tights and neon leggings and just wear some good jeans and decent boots.

As for the peacocky green kimon-jacket....well, I think that requires rockstar confidence and build. But I could still see someone wearing that to the right club in the right city. But I'm a n00b, so whatever.
smile.gif

gefinzi

Reaction score
The first coat, minus the giant button and scarf, might work for a fall football game if paired with gray flannels, heavier soled brown shoes, and a tweed cap. The large houndstooth would make an interesting overcoat but doesn't work so well as a woman's jacket worn by a man.

bostonike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I fail to understand these "let's make fun of the runway" threads. We all know that dress tends to be more conservative around here, so what's the point? It would be different if any of these designers intended many of us for their target demographic, but I doubt that they think that anyone who has even heard or owns one piece of Brioni, Borelli, or Kiton will be that customer.

I agree that all of them are pretty ugly as they are, but the other thing to keep in mind is that often what is presented on the runway (ESPECIALLY the more outlandish looks like some of what is posted above) isn't necessarily intended to be what the designer expects the consumer to wear or to buy. Rather, in many cases, it is simply a chance for them to be creative and to play around with an idea that they have. As well, very few designers expect buyers to buy a "head to toe" look; instead they assume that the buyer will get one or two key items and then mix it themselves.

Often, on runways the items look completely unwearable or even costumish and that is the point (after sitting through fifty runway shows in one week, quite frankly I'm sure most of the audience appreciates the theatricality.) In short, the runway and the showroom are two totally different places; one is for show and the other is for business.

Finally, if you are going to post them to make fun of them, the least you could do is tell us what show it is from so that we could find the whole collection if we wanted.

Good post.

Once it was pointed out to me to stop thinking about what's on the runway as clothes and instead think of whats there as art - where the human body is the canvass - the shows become much more enjoyable.

As wearable men's clothing in public, the black and white outfit and the samurai bathrobe would never cut it. But they're both visually very cool. Even if you're not totally set on the overall look or the return-to-the-80s-shoulderpads, at the very least, the fabrics on both of those are great.

Can't really defend the quilt or the lumberjack outfit so much. But even then, the lumberjack jacket is actually pretty stylish and ready for the winter street. Imagine it with a pair of baggy jeans, decent shoes, and black leather gloves. The tights (?!?) and legwarmers (?!?!?!) don't do it much justice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads