• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wisdom Teeth

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Will they be putting you to sleep for the procedure? If so, you probably aren't going to want to do anything after.

Yeah I'm going under general anesthetic. Tomorrow (Monday) I don't expect to be doing much. However, my mom wants to go to the store on Tuesday. I figure if I want to be up to it, I'll be up to it, but you never know.

Also, I'm supposed to drop my mom off at the airport on Wednesday, and I figure I'll be good enough (albeit possibly in some pain) to do so. This whole shoe thing on Tuesday is what's getting to me. Shoes > pain.

Ineedstyle

Reaction score
I didn't think getting them out was all that bad. Bit of swelling for about two days, but the pain wasn't that bad for me.

...It seems pretty personal though - some friends of mine had bad experiences.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
going under at 10:15 today. hopefully I can still do normal things later today, but not anticipating it. It can't be as bad as an appendectomy, and the prep isn't nearly as bad as a colonoscopy (no one wants to have one before they need to. no one. colonoscopies aren't so bad, but the prep is brutal.)

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got 'em out, got 'em out! The pain isn't so bad in my mouth, I just wish the bleeding would stop. I think it was a little strange, not sure if I said anything while I was out but... the young nurse/hygienist that was there for my surgery was definitely hitting on me. Complimented me on shirt choice (just a pumpkin orange PRL polo...). Eh, stranger things have happened.

I might be going get fitted for those shoes today. (I wanted a pair of AE Fifth Aves a year ago, and my mom wanted to get them for me for my birthday... over 6 months ago. Now it seems is the time for this to go down.) And in contact with MMM to buy a pair of GATs from the NY store.

editdesoja

Reaction score
I think its a good idea is also done at once, but I think it is decided by chance. I was taken a few years ago, and EMI, it seems more painful than it is. Puffed out his cheeks a bit and I had a little pain, while swallows particularly about two days. It been a bit injurious to return to normal food.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Ice, ice and more ice. I didn't feel any pain for the whole first day so I tossed my pain killers and ended up not icing my face. Although I didnt have any pain, I was swollen like a chipmunk and I was too embarrassed to go anywhere for a couple of days.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
Ice, ice and more ice. I didn't feel any pain for the whole first day so I tossed my pain killers and ended up not icing my face. Although I didnt have any pain, I was swollen like a chipmunk and I was too embarrassed to go anywhere for a couple of days.

This. This is what's happening to me right now. In fact, I can feel the swelling in my jaw right now, though the pain isn't so bad. Don't discount the ice. Drinking cold water also helps, but in conjunction, they = win. At this point I'm going to sleep, and figuring out icing my jaw in the morning. It won't be pretty, as it feels sort of like "lockjaw" now, with resistance to opening my mandible and a sort of feeling where I feel as though my jaw has swelled much past normal.

Ice, ice, ice. I can't emphasize this enough.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my lower wisdom teeth pulled a couple of years back... as others have said, I can't emphasize enough the importance of icing your face afterwards. IIRC I bought a couple of bags of frozen peas from the adjacent grocery store just for the walk home from the dentist's, then just basically kept things cool with an ice pack all through the day - result: minimal swelling and lockjaw.

Also, codeine is your friend, regarding the pain.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread reminded me that I have to call today and make an appointment, I need to extract 4 of mine,very reluctant to do it but I've been delaying it for the past 2 yrs. How painful is the extraction? I mean after the fact? Couple of days?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
This thread reminded me that I have to call today and make an appointment, I need to extract 4 of mine,very reluctant to do it but I've been delaying it for the past 2 yrs. How painful is the extraction? I mean after the fact? Couple of days?

I'm not a physician, but if everything goes to plan the pain will subside in a day or two.. I took painkillers only on the first day and had only slight discomfort on the second day. If they clot up good and you remember the post-op treatment it's a couple days max.

Don't get me wrong, the general discomfort will continue for a while, I mean it takes some getting used to having stitches on your gums.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How painful is the extraction? I mean after the fact? Couple of days?
I guess it depends on the person but I think it's a exaggerated. I refused the anesthesia for the procedure after being warned by several doctors that it was not a good idea. I only had the bottom 2 taken out and that only took about 10 minutes but I was told up to an hour. I didn't take anything for pain at all and it was barely painful. It just feels like a dull soreness for the first day and by the next, it's barely there.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The initial pain of the extraction isn't too bad. I was down on an anesthesia cocktail, and I'm sure the ketamine had me knocked out good. Afterwards, I came home and slept for like 3-4 hours, and woke up with minimal pain.

For the most part though, it varies on a) the skill of your surgeon, b) the difficulty of your wisdom teeth location, and c) how developed the roots were on the teeth. My surgeon was phenomenal, and my teeth weren't so developed, but the locations were a bit annoying (one pushing against a moral, one in my sinus cavity, etc.), so I had moderate pain. It isn't so bad.

They gave me a script for vicodin & amoxicillin. Since an incident with mj & alcohol last winter, if I'm nauseous, the nausea escalates quickly, so I took 4 advils over the course of 12 hours, and it was fine for me. The pain was very minimal.

office drone

Reaction score
I had all four of mine taken out when I was 18. I was put under because two of them were growing in sideways, and they had to be cut out. I really didn't want the chipmunk look (I've seen others and it didn't look very attractive), so I iced my cheeks for a good part of the day. I slept right when I got home, but did my best to sleep with ice packs on both cheeks, but it was worth it, and it worked...no swelling whatsoever. No pain either...just took tylenol for the first few days, and that was it.

fffffut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
This. This is what's happening to me right now. In fact, I can feel the swelling in my jaw right now, though the pain isn't so bad. Don't discount the ice. Drinking cold water also helps, but in conjunction, they = win. At this point I'm going to sleep, and figuring out icing my jaw in the morning. It won't be pretty, as it feels sort of like "lockjaw" now, with resistance to opening my mandible and a sort of feeling where I feel as though my jaw has swelled much past normal.

Ice, ice, ice. I can't emphasize this enough.

ice is important in the first few days otherwise youll get some gnarly bruised cheeks that last for awhile

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads