• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wisdom of adding elastic to AE Mora?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I really like the AE Mora double monkstraps - I have them in suede and dark brown calf - but they are the most difficult shoes (to put on) that I own. I chalk this up to them not having the standard monkstrap elastic (grommet?) in place. I am thinking about having my cobbler add some to make them easier to put on and take off.

Would this adversely impact the fit of the shoe? If they became a little more snug that would fine, but if they end up a looser fit that would be disasterous.

How come they don't have the elastic in the first place? Don't other manufacturers use elastic on their double monks?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
I really like the AE Mora double monkstraps - I have them in suede and dark brown calf - but they are the most difficult shoes (to put on) that I own. I chalk this up to them not having the standard monkstrap elastic (grommet?) in place. I am thinking about having my cobbler add some to make them easier to put on and take off.

Would this adversely impact the fit of the shoe? If they became a little more snug that would fine, but if they end up a looser fit that would be disasterous.

How come they don't have the elastic in the first place? Don't other manufacturers use elastic on their double monks?

really, they don't have the elastic? that's weird. I don't have the Mora, but all my other AE monkstraps (Cornell model) have elastic in them, at the buckle region.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You put them on and off without unbuckling?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
You put them on and off without unbuckling?

No, I buckle and unbuckle every time. Without elastic however, it is somewhat difficult to do.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really? I have them and I only need to unbuckle the rear. I have no problems. do you use a shoehorn?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
It is funny that you ask because I could not get a straight answer out of AE on that issue when I inquired about it. Some of their people say leave the front buckled and shoehorn in, while others insist that you must unbuckle it prior to putting it on or you will distort the shoe. I have always played it safe and unbuckled.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you have a high arch NMS?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, it's conceivable that it would work best if you unbuckle both buckles as well as use a shoehorn, but if you are doing all these things and it is still difficult to get on, that sounds odd.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
well, it's conceivable that it would work best if you unbuckle both buckles as well as use a shoehorn, but if you are doing all these things and it is still difficult to get on, that sounds odd.

It is easy to get the shoe itself on and off; it is the buckling (and to a lesser extent the unbuckling) that is a pain. Since there is no elastic "give", I really have to tug on the straps to get the hook through the right hole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads