• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter - What to wear (Feet, Head, Ears)?

flix

Reaction score
Good Morning Guys,

this may seem like a stupid question, but I really like to know how you do it.

It's winter, so I need to stay warm outside. Even with a suit of course.
So I am wearing a suit and a coat + a scarf.

But what are you wearing to keep your ears and head warm? A hat could be good, but only for the head, not for the ears, right?
The next thing are my shoes. They are nice for every "indoor weather". ;-) But what to wear when walking through snow?

I know, most of the time I will be inside because I am working in my suit. But there are times when I have to get outside. Sometimes not only for 2 minutes.

Any suggestions? (I hope there isn't already a thread like this - couldn't find one... If there is, just tell me.
laugh.gif
)

Best,
Felix

WallStPeon

Reaction score
I don't wear hats or ear muffs, so no opinion there. I'd say a hat would be your best bet...maybe a wool fedora...

As for the feet...depends on your personality. Could just get some slicks to put over your shoes or, if fits your personality, get some colorful galoshes. I'm lucky enough to have a parking spot in my building and skywalks connected to said building, so I don't typically have to walk through the snow much in the winter time...but I keep the slicks in the trunk just in case.

flix

Reaction score
Thank you! Sounds interesting. What exactly are slicks? I'm going to take a lool at some galoshes. But I am not certain it would be my first choice. Maybe boots would be, but does it go nice with a suit? Does anybody have a picture or s.th.? I will check out some hats soon. Maybe I'll find something. But with a normal hat my ears stay cold. Maybe some knitwear hats.. How does it look with a suit? Yesterday, I had do stay in a hotel. In the evening I went to the city. My legs were freezing... Maybe I need other pants or something to wear under them. O_O A few minutes in the cold are no problem. But more than 20 minutes are too cold... I thought there were some tricks to stay warm while wearing a suit. But seems like there aren't. So, thanks. Hopefully I'll find what I have in mind.
smile.gif

WallStPeon

Reaction score
Not sure if "slicks" is the proper name of them, but they're those rubber covers that you slip over shoes...work pretty well in keeping leather/leather soled shoes in good shape.

Get a longer top coat for cold days...could always get a very thin down vest and wear it under your jacket as well, take it off when you get to the office. It'd help. Don't do long underwear, unless you work in an ice box you'll overheat...as for the head, I haven't a clue. Ear muffs with a hat?

WallStPeon

Reaction score
Oh,and the most obvious suggestion...flannel suits, tweed suits...they're thicker, heavier, and warmer than just normal wool. You might have a summer weight wool suit and that's part of your issue of being cold. Yesterday I didn't wear a coat, just my flannel charcoal suit with a scarf and gloves...I think the high was like 25 degrees F.

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
A mans best friend in these treacherous winter months . . . "long johns"
wink.gif

bigandtall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flix
Good Morning Guys,

this may seem like a stupid question, but I really like to know how you do it.

It's winter, so I need to stay warm outside. Even with a suit of course.
So I am wearing a suit and a coat + a scarf.

But what are you wearing to keep your ears and head warm? A hat could be good, but only for the head, not for the ears, right?
The next thing are my shoes. They are nice for every "indoor weather". ;-) But what to wear when walking through snow?

I know, most of the time I will be inside because I am working in my suit. But there are times when I have to get outside. Sometimes not only for 2 minutes.

Any suggestions? (I hope there isn't already a thread like this - couldn't find one... If there is, just tell me.
laugh.gif
)

Best,
Felix

you can wear knit hat with ear flaps and aluminum snow shoes when walking through snow

jukes1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
A mans best friend in these treacherous winter months . . . "long johns"
wink.gif

Long johns saved my life last week.

inMongolia

Reaction score
Thought I'd share what I wear. Temps here get down to the -40s F in winter. When its that cold I'll wear wool socks with these. Lately the lows have been about -15F or so and I wear these with thin socks.

The interior shot is of a brown pair, and the exterior shot is of a black pair. They're both equally furry and warm inside.

Depending on the building they can be too hot inside. In my current office I keep another pair of shoes at work and change when I get there.

NxHF6.jpg

rhf9X.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads