• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Pea Coat - Charcoal or Black

Reaction score
I am trying to rebuild my wardrobe after losing considerable weight. I have limited funds and am looking for it to be as interchangeable as possible. This season, I plan to buy a wool pea coat as outwear to use with dress clothing. One that I found is made in black or charcoal. I am Caucasian, have brown hair and brown eyes if that matters. Many of my trousers are blue, and charcoal.

Would you recommend a 2nd coat for brown-toned clothing? If you recommend a different color other that would be more interchangeable, what would it be?

Thanks!

Geoff

Nelton

Reaction score
If many of your trousers are blue then I would stay away from a black coat as black and blue together often look rather washed out and don't look good. I would go for Charcoal as it is versatile and will go with pretty much everything as for your brown clothing, camel or navy will go well in my opinion.

Cheers Nick

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

togglebutton

Reaction score
any notable suggestions for places to find a nice wool peacoat?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Ralph Lauren or Burberry. J Crew is great for price as well. However I'm having a difficult time to find pea coats, might want to wait a month

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your wardrobe and your desires tell me blue won't do, but If you'd consider navy blue, take a look at vintage pea coats on ebay. The made for the US Navy versions (esp. those with corduroy lined pockets) are extremely well made and can be had for $50 and are better made than those from RL, JCrew, and even Schott. I'm pretty sure that Schott is an 80/20 wool blend - although I do like the look/color of the Schott Pea Coat in the link.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get either navy or charcoal. Both colors go with almost any clothing colors you may wear. Black just tends to look washed out and dingy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads