• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Parka/Jackets

playdohh22

Reaction score
I'm going to try this in the Men's Clothing section. Weren't really getting the results I was looking for in the Streetwear section.

I am looking for a clean, simple, casual winter jacket that will get me through the harsh winters here in the north country of New York. I am not looking for a wool, cashmere jacket or anything of that sort. Yes, I understand they can be casual, but I am looking for something even more versatile. Something that can accommodate an outdoorsy type of wardrobe.

I've been looking into Patagonia.

Down Sweater
Down Jacket
Parka

I am interested in the down sweater, but I'm afraid it won't be warm enough. The down jacket seems like the next best choice. And I really like the parka, but the price is a bit steep. I've tried looking on eBay, but no luck with the parka. So any recommendations would be appreciated.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're on the right track.........my North Face down coat is the "go-to" when the temp is low enough.

turkey_sandwich

Reaction score
I just finished my search yesterday, and I looked into down sweaters, puffy coats, and parkas... Unless you have a shell that you plan to wear over the first two options you listed, I would avoid them. That said, with 800-fill down they will be very warm without too much bulk. But, my concern was that those types of coats are not water-/wind-proof. The last one looks like a better option but is more than I paid. Check out the Mountain Hardwear Downtown jacket -- I found it to be reasonably priced, relatively slim, and very warm (650 fill). Also, if you're a member (or if you become one for $20), you'll get 20% off your REI purchase so it winds up being very reasonable.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For really harsh winters, Canada Goose coats are the best. I have an Ontario parka for the nastiest days here in Philly. If you can't spend that much, I'd go with Bean, which guarantees their coats 100%. http://www.canada-goose.com/products/

playdohh22

Reaction score
I've given consideration to Canda Goose. But from what I've read, I think they might be too warm even for the North Country, as I'll be walking around campus, in and out anyway. Not to mention they are even more costly.
Originally Posted by turkey_sandwich
I just finished my search yesterday, and I looked into down sweaters, puffy coats, and parkas... Unless you have a shell that you plan to wear over the first two options you listed, I would avoid them. That said, with 800-fill down they will be very warm without too much bulk. But, my concern was that those types of coats are not water-/wind-proof. The last one looks like a better option but is more than I paid. Check out the Mountain Hardwear Downtown jacket -- I found it to be reasonably priced, relatively slim, and very warm (650 fill). Also, if you're a member (or if you become one for $20), you'll get 20% off your REI purchase so it winds up being very reasonable.
Yes, something like that fits the bill. Will consider that along with the Patagonia parka. I forgot to mention that I'm a slim guy, so still open to more suggestions.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea it's skiwear but you may find some sleeker designs that can work for daily use. The amazing thing is it's not thick at all but surprisingly warm and keeps you bone dry.

I have Arcteryx too but this is a different league.

You can get last season stuff for ~$500

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
I've given consideration to Canda Goose. But from what I've read, I think they might be too warm even for the North Country, as I'll be walking around campus, in and out anyway. Not to mention they are even more costly.
Canada Goose has a bunch of models. Some are so warm that they can only be used in Antarctica. Others are much more versatile. You might look into a Chilliwack, for example. It is warm enough for all but the harshest conditions but can also be worn open when it's just cool, say, up to 40F. It is also shorter than a lot of CG jackets and looks OK in urban environments. As for the price, STP often has some Canada Goose jackets. You might also try Gear Up for the Outdoors. They have a lot of close out CG stuff at some very good prices, especially if you get lucky about sizes or don't mind wearing an odd colour. http://www.gear-up.com/category/247 Be warned, though, that this is the peak demand for CG jackets so prices are high and selection limited. A lot of people order their new CG jackets in August to make sure they will get what they want by December. The best time to buy a Canada Goose jacket or parka is probably April or May when they are closing out the previous year's models.

playdohh22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Check out Mountain Equipment Co-Op...www.mec.ca

They have some nice stuff to offer. I especially like how there are no logos.

This caught my eye, but unfortunately not sold online anymore.
Down Jacket

It's the price of a Canada Goose on eBay. But looks good. Keep the suggestions coming.
smile.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For a more stylish look, check out the parka offered by Woolrich.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics