1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

winter linen ????

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seanandnik, Dec 5, 2004.

1. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior member

I live in Boston and we are in our lovely winter months and I was wondering if it is a no-no to wear linen now ? If sweaters are a no go then what about a nice pair of flat front, beige,linen khaki's ? They are fairly heavyweight and not like some of the other see-through linen pants that are out there.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

3. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior member

yes, I remember asking that question, but it did not refer to pants, which I am now asking about. No use using the search if I'm only getting my own queries, now is there ?

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

My gut feeling is that I wouldn't wear them - no matter how heavy they are.

I just don't think linen and/or light colors look right in winter/cold weather. Choose a nice pair of wool pants instead.

Bradford

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I wear linen, and light linen at that, in the winter. Of course I'm in South Florida, so my perspective is completely different than some one, say in Manhattan. I guess just dress weather and circumstance appropriate.

Jon.

6. Phil

Phil Senior member

It doesnt really matter how heavy the linen is, you will freeze your ass of in the winter if you wear them. I have a pair of very heavy RLPL cream linen pants, and even at that weight they are only summer wear. The wind whistles through them, and the heaviness of the fabric seems to have no effect on how warm they feel when on.

7. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Sure, you can wear linen in Boston in the winter. No one will call the cops. However, you'll look poorly dressed like the guy who breaks-up a suit and wears the suit coat as a sportscoat. You'll look like a clueless hick. On the same note, you can also wear 22 oz. moleskin trousers in August on Cape Cod. Certain cloths are seasonal. It would look plain weird to sport a seersuck suit on Newbury Street in January. Also, you'll freeze to death. Linen is for summer. Period. [​IMG]

8. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior member

O.K., I get the point, no Linen til spring. Thanks guys.