• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter is Coming! NWT Southwick Harris Tweed Check Jacket 39R (fit 38R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great Harris Tweed jacket, half-canvassed and made by Southwick for Epaulet I commissioned during Fall Finds a few years ago. The current price is 10% off the old Fall Find Price which is gone. It's a great deal. I've decided two checked jackets is enough for my winter collection.

I will entertain serious and reasonable best offers but please note the already discounted price (if I don't respond, please take that as a decline).

This is already a great deal given that the jackets go for around $1000 new.

Buyers please have (a) good B&S feedback here or in eBay or (b) an active member in discussion threads.

Pic of the colors. Please note pattern matching.

• This is a 39R which for me is TTS for a 38R (my size in Eidos) (I found Epaulet's 38R to have slight chest bowing so I had this made one size up)
  • Fabric is a great winter weight. 14oz. Harris tweed (label still on arm).
  • Fabric is a mix of grey, brown, brick, and a touch of purple. Just a beautiful fabric. It gives impression of a brown or dark taupe from a distance (see pic below)
  • Half-canvased, purple lining.
  • Please see careful pattern matching at shoulder, the nice roll of the lapel because of fabric weight.
  • Best to consider if you know your Southwick sizing in Epaulet's Weller Cut

Measurements which seems like a true 38R to me.

Shoulder on hanger, seam to seam from back: 17 inches (seems narrow but see pics; I have swimmer's shoulders)
Chest, pit to pit laid flat, second button done: 20.5 inches
Waist at second button: about 18.75 inches
Sleeve, outside, on hanger: about 25 inches
Length BOC on hanger: 29.5

For reference, I take a true 38R in Eidos Tipo and in SuSu Jort. I'm about 6 feet tall, and take a 32 inch inseam (to gauge length).

Classic proportions.

Attachments

• 900x900px-LL-6f4f5be4_IMG_0883.jpg
    900x900px-LL-6f4f5be4_IMG_0883.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Incidentally, should you be wondering about a 39 versus a 38. This is me in a 38 of the same Weller cut.

Because of this pic, I went up a size to deal with the slight bowing of the lapels which is most visible on the right side lapel (the jacket is wonky for some reason, see the bottom) suggesting a touch tight in the chest. See above pic to see straight as arrow lapels.

As I said, the 39 fits me like a 38 Eidos and if you look at the measurements of a 38, it seems a touch tight. In my experience 39 is on me more tts for a 38R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads