• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter in Scandinavia - What to Wear?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are planning to holiday in Scandinavia in the next Northern winter (in January). In addition to the capitals and fjords we'll be going into the Arctic Circle, up to Tromso and thereabouts.

I'm just wondering what to pack and wear. We'll be going from an Australian summer, so it will be a bit of a jolt, I suspect. I have a duck down hip-length parka, but not really much else in the way of cold weather gear. Can someone recommend what to take? I'm especially wondering about shoes, especially what you might wear when going out to a restaurant or elsewhere a bit dressy.

TIA.

Galix

Reaction score
Wool. That's the most important thing to pack. With a wool first layer (long sleeve t-shirt, over the calf socks and if you are very cold also boxers), plus a wool medium layer (pullover or buy a Norwegian jersey) + a normal winter jacket you'll be fine (the type anyone would wear going skiing).
Also don't forget gloves, a scarf and something to cover your head. This is considering worst case scenario in Northen Norway.

In Bergen for instance, which is in the south western part of Norway, during winter time I normally wear a wool long sleeve t-shirt, a shirt (cotton) a thin wool cardigan and a normal jacket, and I don't get cold. I reckon in Tromsø or the inner parts of the country you'll need a little extra.

Shoes are more tricky. You'll need definitely something to cope with snow, water and ice. My go to options are cordovan boots in the city, and winter mountain boots when going hiking in the mountain or the countryside. Rubber sole is a must.

And don't worry about your clothes when going out. Scandinavians tend to be practical people (specially outside Oslo and Stockholm), so you don't have to wear black cap toes in a restaurant. Actually I never saw it. You'll do fine with a pair of nice boots.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider picking up a traditional Norwegian Sweater while you are there. They will last you a lifetime. They are made from very heavy wool and come in almost any color combination you might like.

williamson

Reaction score
You will find interiors very well heated, so be prepared to discard layers when you go indoors. Also, the fjordland (around Bergen and to its north) tends to be wet rather than cold; at the time you are visiting there should be snow, but both the humidity and the temperatures are higher in the fjordland than in Oslo and the east.
Norwegians dress very practically and also very casually, and will probably tell you if they think you're inadequately dressed for the weather. This is not being forward or condescending, but being helpful and showing concern. Enjoy your time there - the country and the people are great.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A down parka will be great for this

img18912.jpg

- sounds like you've got that covered.

Boots like these will be dressy enough for most restaurants, etc:

sf2k.jpg

img3732h.jpg

If you're going somewhere really cold, consider a pair of pac poots from LaCrosse or Sorel:

Last two not my pics.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, the fjordland (around Bergen and to its north) tends to be wet rather than cold; at the time you are visiting there should be snow, but both the humidity and the temperatures are higher in the fjordland than in Oslo and the east.

Actualy, if it's more wet than cold a down parka may not be ideal. Then you're probably better off with a hardshell (in something like GoreTex) layered with insulating layers in wool and/or fleece.

Last edited:

kasakka

Reaction score
Really depends how much you can tolerate cold and where you will be spending time most. In the capitals it's not as cold. In Helsinki during the winter I typically wear a scarf, a warm coat, jeans and some warm shoes (I use thicker sneakers). Under that have some thick socks and layers of clothing depending on how cold it is. Outside the cities it gets a lot colder so just add more layers, preferably thick wool.

I really need to get some nice boots for the coming winter. I don't like how the "boot dress shoes" look, they remind me of early 1900s women's shoes.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of long-sleeve undershirts made of non-itchy fine wool
when I was in Italy several years ago in March because, I unknowingly
"packed for Hawaii" . These would serve you well along with the other clothing already
mentioned.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do have a woolen undershirt now that I think of it. Would RM Williams elastic-sided boots work? They have a leather sole, so I guess they'd slip a bit.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do have a woolen undershirt now that I think of it. Would RM Williams elastic-sided boots work? They have a leather sole, so I guess they'd slip a bit.

fredrikkm

Reaction score
RM Williams boots will work just fine in most situations, but not if you're going hiking or something along those lines... Just use wool socks in them, and you'll be fine most of the time. Consider buying a pair of wool long johns to go with your undershirt. You won't have any problems finding warm clothes while you're here, so don't worry to much.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kaplan, those boots look lovely, what are they?
Do you think they can cope with salt?

They're Cheaney FS029 (only available from their factory shop? Not sure...).

Obviously the leather is better off without the salt but I've worn them through the winter here in Copenhagen where salt and slush is unavoidable and they've held up fine. Just give them some leather conditioner and wax occasionally and wipe off salty slush when possible.

They have a Dainite sole which is great for a lot of conditions but not the best for traction on ice. The softer rubber of the pac boots above is better suited for that (on the other hand they'll wear out quicker on asphalt/pavement).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads