• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

winter hats

nomovement

Reaction score
I know this is a bad topic to post on labor day b/c most of you are off of work/the internet today. Bt anyway, I got my forst winter coat yesterday and I was pretty stoked until I realized that I'll have to wear a hat too b/c it ets COLD in chicago-global warming and all, I'll still need a hat. In the last two years I've been here, I haven't seen one decent example of good hat wearing. what does sf reccomend?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest a simple toque, or beanie, like you crazy Americans say. Get a few. One in each charcoal, navy, and brown should do it, but I like to have some pattern in them, even a contrasting color trim. A rich melange would also make them more visually interesting. And get them in rich alpaca or cashmere. Even the good hats are not that expensive, so don't skimp. The difference in both quality and comfort is obvious.

familyman

Reaction score
Stormy Kromer perhaps? http://www.stormykromer.com/ Edit to say that the brimless rocks. I might need one before deer season.
brimless_charcoal.jpg

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, there is no reason to be uber fashionable with winter caps. I bought a $12 military brim hat and its amazing, and my banana republic $30 one is still going strong, like 4 years later.....

Goblin

Reaction score
I usually cut my hair really short as winter rolls in because I know I'll be wearing a toboggan (beanie, whatever) for the whole winter, and hat-head is not kind to my hair (very fine and cowlicky, adheres to my skull like an amorous starfish). I pick them up at the Dollar General store, one for wearing normally and one for any activity where I'm likely to get sweaty and stinky.

I don't think I've ever had a "nice" knit hat ... it's not that I have anything against the idea, it just never really occurred to me. LA Guy (or anyone else), can you recommend any online outlets for "nice" knit hats? The cheaper the better.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, nomovement, I think you're hard on Chicago. I'm in Chicagoland, and I've seen quite a few men on Michigan Avenue, or on Oak Street, wearing smart looking hats. I always wear a hat, during winter. I freeze, otherwise.

Personally, I like Borsalino styles. For those of you seeking a knit cap, you might try Bluefly? They've got some big markdowns, on knit caps. J Crew carries some jazzy ones . . . soon after fall, begins.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I bought a beaver and rabbit fur hat last winter to wear at the ski hill. I bought it from a Native craft store in Northern Ontario and it's extremely comfortable and warm. I'm not sure if that is the style you are going for though.

ville_e

Reaction score
coming from finland i know a thing or too about winter hats i guess...
biggrin.gif

i'd recommend the aviator hat from "Canada Goose" :

th_{b2e23056-e041-421d-9c5c-04edbc028adb}.jpg

If not that then buy an oversized beanie or an awesome beanie from Dior if you are willing to pay a lot...
wink.gif

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Just a regular russian rabbit fur hat with ear-flaps.

nomovement

Reaction score
sf rules. thanks for the advice.

kapay

Reaction score
Dispite living in the Bay Area, I often wear a snow beanie. Or a beanie of my favorite football team in white. It shouldn't make you look like you're trying too hard to look casual with the right clothing.

Goblin

Reaction score
"Trying too hard to look casual" is rarely a problem for me.
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I want the eg bucket hat, lemme find a pic.

edit: found it

img10562339932.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads