winter hat matching

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seanandnik, Oct 21, 2006.

1. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior member

hello guys, its been awhile since i've posted, so bear with me. Now that the blessed cold is almost upon us here in Boston. I wanted to ask about hats, scarves and gloves. I have quite a few cashmere knit hats, also 5 staple colors of cashmere scarves, and 5 varied colors of cashmere lined or cashmere knit gloves. Now, does it matter what color gloves i wear with what color hat? Does shoe color also come into consideration? like black shoes with black gloves and hat? For example today I have on jeans with a navy cashmere Cifonelli blazer, black belt and shoes, so I wore the black leather gloves witha charcoal cashmere hat, sound right? are there "rules" for me follow?

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

For example today I have on jeans with a navy cashmere Cifonelli blazer, black belt and shoes, so I wore the black leather gloves witha charcoal cashmere hat, sound right? are there "rules" for me follow?

That sounds good to me. For dress, I like gloves and shoes to match, with hat and scarf either matching or complementing. For casual, all hell breaks loose, but in an aesthetically pleasing way.[​IMG]

3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

If it's a black hat, you probably should wear gloves and shoes in black. Other than that, color matching isn't terribly important. Of course you'll want to avoid color clashing. Simple explanation for loose guidelines: hats and gloves come off indoors.

4. Gladhatter

Gladhatter Senior member

hello guys, its been awhile since i've posted, so bear with me. Now that the blessed cold is almost upon us here in Boston. I wanted to ask about hats, scarves and gloves. I have quite a few cashmere knit hats, also 5 staple colors of cashmere scarves, and 5 varied colors of cashmere lined or cashmere knit gloves. Now, does it matter what color gloves i wear with what color hat? Does shoe color also come into consideration? like black shoes with black gloves and hat? For example today I have on jeans with a navy cashmere Cifonelli blazer, black belt and shoes, so I wore the black leather gloves witha charcoal cashmere hat, sound right? are there "rules" for me follow?

World is full of rules but you do not have to follow most of them. In fact I think rules get invented and edited by what some one decides to do or do differently and others seem to follow suit until it becomes old hat.