• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Footwear

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
I live in the Northeast and when the weather is clear during the Spring/Summer/Fall I wear a mix of Converse, Sperrys, Clark's DBs, Plimsolls, etc. However, none of these are suitable for the winter and/or bad weather conditions. What are some different pieces of footwear that look good and are reasonably priced to be worn during this time? I wear mostly jeans and khakis, with t-shirts, button downs, an occasional polo, sweaters, etc. Thanks!

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Just throw out some ideas. I don't want to limit anything by throwing out a price range, because I might see something I like that is more than I plan to spend, but end up getting it.

rapdancin

Reaction score
Katahdin Iron WorksÂ
00ae.png
Engineer Boots

auc2mic

Reaction score
I too need some suggestions for this... Last year I just wore my CPs throughout most of winter... don't think I'll be doing that again this year... haha

thrice

Reaction score
How about some desert boots? I just got a pair of Sebago Arlingtons in the mail today.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some Palladium boots for some backpacking this summer and although they are only canvas I think once I have waterproofed them with some wax they should be pretty good for rainy/****** weather and they fit loosely enough for thickish socks. They also make some leather models which might be better for rough weather. http://www.palladiumboots.com/cgi-bi...ion=shoe.*.*.m I wore a pair of Herring country boots all through last winter, again waxed to waterproof them, and they worked pretty well. http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0 If you live somewhere with a lot of snow though they maybe wouldn't cut it, although the herring boots were ok in a couple of inches.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Isn't there a thousand page boot thread or is that a summer only boot thread?

JMK

Reaction score
Get the LL Bean signature Bean Boots with the black uppers or the waxed cotton version.

the_state

Reaction score
any bean boots will suit you fine for the nasty days.

red wing wabasha chucks are good too for drier days

also u can't go work w/ a vibram/lug sole, moc-toe or round-toe boot for wet/cold weather for all options.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a cheap pair of rubber Tretorn boots a couple winters back and I haven't been crazy about them. They're uncomfortable, don't keep your feet warm, and a slight opening appeared in the sole of mine (despite only being used in foul weather) allowing water in if I step in enough puddles. You'll see plenty of people in NYC wearing them around, but I say avoid them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads