• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter colognes

thejackal

Reaction score
What winter colognes have people used and liked or had good comments regarding it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, gentlemen, but there are summer and winter colognes?

If so, what is the difference?

I have a really weird system I will share...I wear "spicey" scents with earth tones, and "citrus" scents with blues, grays, and pastels.

Perhaps this is a better system, although mine has always worked for me.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve: What everyone means by "summer" colognes is colognes with a more citrus scent. Examples would be: Aqua de Parma, D&G Masculine, ect... As for "winter" colognes i would guess this means more woodsy or soapy scents.
As for a "winter" scents, i was out shopping for colognes a few weeks ago and after sampling Creed, not seeing what the hype is about (It's not THAT great); the saleslady at Barney's suggested Gendarme. For those not familiar, it smells like soap, which is quite refeshing and different than most other colognes. I definatly plan on buying this in the future. For the past winter i wore Gucci Envy almost exclusively, which has a very woodsy scent.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Declaration very much. But when in doubt, summer or winter, I always can rely on "Eau Savage". A tasteful, light scent.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Mike C:

Is Gendarme like Jaipur Homme?

Has anyone tried Neroli by Czech and Speake?

I remember now why I never registered the summer and winter thing. I live in CA, and we don't really have winter. Wearing citrus in the snow would smell kinda funny LOL

Arizona's Finest

Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with this cologne, Angel by Thierry Mugel? If so, what is your opinion about this one?

Grand Arcanum

Reaction score
My rule of thumb with colognes is to keep it simple. Stay away from the trendy ones such as Tommy Hilfiger or Polo Sport- you don't want to be smelling like 1/2 of the kids in high school.

"Angel" sports a great scent- it is the combination of vanilla and wood. The only drawback is that it's a bit pricey.

What has worked the best for me is spray a light touch of aftershave and then apply Yves Saint Laurent cologne over it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics