• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Coats

javierf1987

Reaction score
I recently moved and have to purchase a coat (or parka) for winter. The city I live in will get very cold (approximately -10°C). I am willing to spend up to $500.00 dollars. What would you recommend? Canada Goose, Fjalrraven or something else?

Thank you very much!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think that's very cold, come stay in Canada for awhile. For -10C I would wear a leather jacket or peacoat. Canada Goose is made for -40C

javierf1987

Reaction score
For me, -10 is very cold. I don't know what to wear to protect myself from the cold, and I believe a leather jacket is not enough. Do you have other recommendations?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now -10C is not cold to me. however -40C is cold. Come and spend a winter in Inner Mongolia. :) I wear a big thick down filled Tempco parka when the temp really drops, and a DB tweed Heilan overcoat for -10C.

Last edited:

gsugsu

Reaction score
Canada Goose for -10 is certainly overkill unless you have moved to Toronto where it seems everyone downtown wears Canada Goose from labour day until April. In fact I think there is a city ordinance that you will be issued with one and the cost is added on to your property tax or apartment rent.

Canada Goose does have some lighter models. But firstly, What will you be wearing this cold weather jacket with? Knowing that will help people provide you with suggestions.

Cedric

Reaction score
Northface Nuptse

Mc Murdo for much lower temps, blizzards etc...

They should both total to around $500

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently moved and have to purchase a coat (or parka) for winter. The city I live in will get very cold (approximately -10°C). I am willing to spend up to $500.00 dollars. What would you recommend? Canada Goose, Fjalrraven or something else?
Thank you very much!

That's not very cold.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you think that's very cold, come stay in Canada for awhile. For -10C I would wear a leather jacket or peacoat. Canada Goose is made for -40C
That's 14 F pal and it's very cold. And even cold Montreal has daytime highs in Winter of 20+. The middle and rest of Canada doesn't matter because no one lives there except dumb newfies and proles.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank you very much!
This is your best bet. Detachable hood you can leave off on warmer days. When it's really cold add wool pullover and hood and you'll be warm

http://tinyurl.com/5vsnz33

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is your  best bet. Detachable hood you can leave off on warmer days. When it's really cold add wool pullover and hood and you'll be warm
http://tinyurl.com/5vsnz33

OP was actually looking to spend $500 so this is out of that price range.

That's 14 F pal and it's very cold. And  even cold  Montreal has daytime highs  in Winter of 20+. The  middle and rest of Canada doesn't matter because no one lives there  except dumb newfies  and proles.

My, my, what's with all the negativity, dear boy? His comment was perfectly valid: It's actually not that cold. I think the assumption was that we're talking about an everyday jacket. The thing about living in a cold climate is that you never really spend too much time outside - it's all about going from house to car, building to building etc.

Some of that North Face stuff is perfect if you're spending hours at a time outdoors, but really is overkill for day-to-day wear at that temperature.

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you very much!

Outside of the obvious comment that -10C isn't that over the top nobody asked what context you'll be wearing this coat?

Overcoat with layers underneath would work.

You could go more working class and get the peacoat.

But then many other things can work.

Then remember hat,gloves. Keep skin covered. Don't get wet. You know all the things kids learn :embar:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's 14 F pal and it's very cold. And  even cold  Montreal has daytime highs  in Winter of 20+. The  middle and rest of Canada doesn't matter because no one lives there  except dumb newfies  and proles.

HEY! Out west -10C is a pretty nice winter day.

Motherfucker.:slapfight:

Anyway, I stand by a peacoat or a similar weight jacket with a sweater, scarf and touque/hat. Just layer in that cold. You will be sweating in a parka.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads