1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by javierf1987, Sep 10, 2012.

1. javierf1987

javierf1987 Member

I recently moved and have to purchase a coat (or parka) for winter. The city I live in will get very cold (approximately -10°C). I am willing to spend up to $500.00 dollars. What would you recommend? Canada Goose, Fjalrraven or something else?

Thank you very much!

2. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

If you think that's very cold, come stay in Canada for awhile. For -10C I would wear a leather jacket or peacoat. Canada Goose is made for -40C

3. javierf1987

javierf1987 Member

For me, -10 is very cold. I don't know what to wear to protect myself from the cold, and I believe a leather jacket is not enough. Do you have other recommendations?

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Now -10C is not cold to me. however -40C is cold. Come and spend a winter in Inner Mongolia. :) I wear a big thick down filled Tempco parka when the temp really drops, and a DB tweed Heilan overcoat for -10C.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  5. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Canada Goose for -10 is certainly overkill unless you have moved to Toronto where it seems everyone downtown wears Canada Goose from labour day until April. In fact I think there is a city ordinance that you will be issued with one and the cost is added on to your property tax or apartment rent.

Canada Goose does have some lighter models. But firstly, What will you be wearing this cold weather jacket with? Knowing that will help people provide you with suggestions.

6. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Northface Nuptse
    [​IMG]

Mc Murdo for much lower temps, blizzards etc...

[​IMG]

They should both total to around $500

7. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

8. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

That's not very cold.

10. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

That's 14 F pal and it's very cold. And even cold Montreal has daytime highs in Winter of 20+. The middle and rest of Canada doesn't matter because no one lives there except dumb newfies and proles.

11. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

This is your best bet. Detachable hood you can leave off on warmer days. When it's really cold add wool pullover and hood and you'll be warm

http://tinyurl.com/5vsnz33

1 person likes this.
  12. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

OP was actually looking to spend $500 so this is out of that price range.

My, my, what's with all the negativity, dear boy? His comment was perfectly valid: It's actually not that cold. I think the assumption was that we're talking about an everyday jacket. The thing about living in a cold climate is that you never really spend too much time outside - it's all about going from house to car, building to building etc.

Some of that North Face stuff is perfect if you're spending hours at a time outdoors, but really is overkill for day-to-day wear at that temperature.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Outside of the obvious comment that -10C isn't that over the top nobody asked what context you'll be wearing this coat?

Overcoat with layers underneath would work.

You could go more working class and get the peacoat.

But then many other things can work.

Then remember hat,gloves. Keep skin covered. Don't get wet. You know all the things kids learn :embar:

1 person likes this.
  14. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I wear a fleece and a windbreaker, both from North Face.

15. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

HEY! Out west -10C is a pretty nice winter day.

Motherfucker.:slapfight:

Anyway, I stand by a peacoat or a similar weight jacket with a sweater, scarf and touque/hat. Just layer in that cold. You will be sweating in a parka.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  16. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

In a -10 cold, nobody's going to stop to look at how you dress, and when you're indoors, you'd have peeled off your coats.

17. dirkweems

dirkweems Well-Known Member

-10, -40, Inner Mongolia...whatever. I know women that are colder.

18. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

What about up to $500 options for a standard winter coat that you would wear to the office over a suit? I have a camel and more casual mid-grey and am now looking for a black or very dark charcoal in a slimmer cut that hits mid-thigh.

I live in the midwest and store-wise only have Macy's, Dillard's, and Von Maur. Those places have plenty of very boxy Calvin Klein and other boxy store brands. I have looked at Banana Republic and J Crew and didn't find what I wanted Any websites or brands you suggest (Yoox? Club Monaco?) that have slimmer options would be appreciated.

19. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I'm here for the cold contest.

20. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Actually, temperature is not the only thing that matters for whether one thinks it's cold or not. Used to live in a place that never saw temperatures drop more than a few degrees below 0C, but it was always wet (rain, sleet) and windy and I have never been freezing as much as I did those years. I now live in a place that regularly see --15C for weeks and that inevitably get at least a few days each winter with temps of -30C or lower. But the climate is much dryer and usually much less windy, and I never really become cold. So temperature is only one part of the equation....