• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Coats. What's your timeless "go to" winter jacket that gets the most compliments?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to share an enviable winter coats they are proud of ? How about some links to something you've had your eye on? I have a very nice soft dark brown overcoat, but I'd like to splurge on something that will last a decade, and always get noticed.

P-coats are fairly generic. Dark overcoats are as well. "Streetwear" winter coats are not MC, and don't go with the conservative business dress suit and tie look. Down jackets are also too casual "streetwear."

Also, in this category, style and flair is more important than keeping super warm. If I wanted warm, I'd buy a Northface. If I wanted comfort, I'd buy Uggs.

Last edited:

Von Franz

Reaction score
Although I cannot yet afford one, my ideal winter coat is a classically styled polo coat, in a cashmere and camel blend.
Double breasted, full length, generous lapels, half belt, turnback cuffs, flap breast pocket, et cetera.
It is the best classic form of outerwear, as far as I am concerned.

Ralph Lauren is known for theirs, which is especially nice as far as easily obtainable RTW overcoats go.
I believe they sell for around $2,000, and it is offered either as a standard winter item or MTM.

Come to think of it, I'd like to know some more about it.
Does anybody know some more about this particular coat, and its availability?
It would be of purely theoretical use to me at this point, but very much appreciated nonetheless.

The other coats that come to mind are wool or shearling, from Paul Stuart,
http://www.paulstuart.com/category_...&ProdCatId=1020&subProdCatId=0&headermenuid=1

and one of Loro Piana's various offerings. They have some beautiful shearling and fur-lined coats, as well as cashmere, wool, and some other more exotic cloths.

If by "splurge," you mean "spend $25,000 on a sheared navy blue mink peacoat from Jay Kos," then you should probably do it.
Post pictures, though, so that we can nitpick the fit and styling until you ultimately decide it's not your cup of tea and sell it on B&S to some poor chump (me) for, say, $350.

Finally, it may be a matter of personal taste, but I've always liked the idea of a charcoal wool-cashmere topcoat with turnback cuffs and a black astrakhan collar. That might have to be bespoke, but i suppose it wouldn't be entirely impossible to find RTW.

-VF

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By splurge, I think I mean in the $1500 or under range.
Beyond that,. I don't see much incremental value, and you're probably just overpaying for logo markup.

Also, I think you'd get a lot more value by avoiding these fashion forward trendy labels.
What do you think these jackets would sell for, if sold by a mainstream retailer?

Thanks for that link.
These 2 look like they'd get some compliments.

Last edited:

Von Franz

Reaction score
By splurge, I think I mean in the $1500 or under range.
Beyond that,. I don't see much incremental value, and you're probably just overpaying for logo markup.
Also, I think you'd get a lot more value by avoiding these fashion forward trendy labels.
What do you think these jackets would sell for, if sold by a mainstream retailer?
Thanks for that link.
These 2 look like they'd get some compliments.
Yeah, I was having a bit of fun with it, I'll certainly admit to that. It's that time of year when broke young guys like me dream of extravagant clothes.

If you mean the more outlandish stuff, I'd guess that it's been marked up a fair amount, but not by much. RL marks up a lot in general, but they have good sales and their styling is sometimes top-notch.
Loro Piana is pricey, and mostly worth it far as I can tell, although it's aimed at a more affluent demographic than I can see myself joining anytime soon so that's a moot point.
As for Jay Kos, he's not too well-known or conservative, but I wouldn't call him trendy. "Eccentric," maybe. While Jay reminds me of a sartorial Willy Wonka, his clothes are pretty classically cut, colors and materials notwithstanding. That price seems appropriate for mink, too, which is going to be about that expensive any way you slice it.

Anyway....

On to the practical things.
I love the look of the jacket in the first picture. You should go to a store and try it on, if at all possible.
It'll be warm and stylish, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of compliments.

The second one looks good as well, but it seems a little too short. The duffle coat may be best as a simpler, less luxurious design.
Orvis has one that is quite well-priced, and of a longer and more adequate length, as does L.L. Bean. Both have the added distinction of being anything but trendy.

-VF

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loro Piana icer jacket in cashmere, burnt orange color, with detachable collar lining of either sheared beaver or cashmere.

Lots of notice, even by the LP staff.

Von Franz

Reaction score
Here's the Orvis one.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3E41

To clarify, I think the navy shearling coat you posted is still the best option.
This was merely a suggestion of what I feel is a little more appropriate to spend on a duffle coat, as opposed to the price of that (admittedly very, very nice) Paul Stuart one, since they're intended as more of a day-to-day knockaround item.
Shearling is rarer and more luxurious, and so it makes more sense to buy that as your once in a decade purchase.

-VF

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I receive the most compliments in my duffel coat(s). A nice Duffel is a chick magnet. Runner up goes to my peacoat.

skywalker

Reaction score

Loro Piana icer jacket in cashmere, burnt orange color, with detachable collar lining of either sheared beaver or cashmere.

Burnt orange sounds like a unique color for an icer.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
海澜之家 / Heilan Home.

...in Jiangsu Tweed.

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Both my duffels are Gloverall with the leather and horn toggles.

I like the idea of a duffel coat. This is exactly what Reevolving aims for: Something distinctive that will get noticed, but a reasonable price point.
As far as Gloverall, I'm not liking the style of the fasteners. I think the excessive contrast & exposed string makes it look a little too Eskimo/homemade for me.

Here's the Orvis one.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3E41

To clarify, I think the navy shearling coat you posted is still the best option.

I'm not sure what shearling you're referring to, but the Paul Stuart's are overpriced for my taste. All fashion lines are, to some extent. Just b/c it's once in a decade, it still doesn't make it easier to get ripped off.

Anyway, I really like the Orvis coat. The fact that it's $250 (half the cost of Gloverall) may seal the deal. But, it's made of Wool/polyester/polymide/acrylic, while the Gloverall is made of Wool/polymide only. As an added bonus, I was already looking at gloves from Orvis, so this will save me shipping as well. I might order this coat within a few days. Thanks for this, guys.

This jacket seems fairly plain. Hard to justify $2500 on something that can pass as a $30 fleece from Walmart.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/370486658738?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y
http://compare.ebay.com/like/370488638783?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB camel hair polo for wearing over suits, etc, This year's are made in Italy and slimmer than in the past. I got mine at the end of last winter on sale for ~ $600.
For more casual wear, I picked up a shearling on STP for ~ $450 a couple of years ago:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads