• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Coat

greatfire

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good winter coat.

America. college. New York. Very cold.

20. 6'1". skinny. african american.

I really have a thing for wool coats, but I'm looking for a good stylish coat, no matter the type of material it is made out of. I like the coat to fall just under my butt, and for the shoulder and chest area to fit very well. Any advice?

I currently have a coat that goes down to my mid thigh area, and I am really not a big fan: way too long. I've tried the shorter coats that fall just on or just above my belt, and I think those are too small. So I guess my one limit is that the coat fall right under my butt.

Money is a factor, but I want to ignore that for the moment as I get some coat/style suggestions.

Thanks.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Bluefly. Lots of shorter coat / jackets, there. Good prices.

greatfire

Reaction score
Do you have any specific suggestions. I see lots of coat, but my eye for style would probably leave me selecting a terrible one, which is the problem.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree on the peacoat . . . something double breasted would break your 'line,' as it were. You'd look a little broader, not so slim. You don't want to overwhelm your physique with something too bulky. A clean, classic look in double breasted style should work.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
I recently picked up the peacoat from the Paul Smith 2006 FW lineup and I love it - too bad I can't wear it yet.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
How about something like this? Not sure if this is warm enough?

http://bluefly.com/pages/products/de...&Nu=Product+ID

That's about 3/4 length, isn't it? Greatfire said earlier that having a coat hit mid-thigh was too long, which that coat might be.

As a thin, formerly super-skinny guy, I second/third/whatever the peacoat suggestion.

greatfire

Reaction score
Side question: don't you think a peacoat is kinda for women? That aside, everyone seems to be suggesting it, so beyond the fit information I said before, what else should I look for to make sure a coat is good? Also, what are some examples of good coats that meet the few parameters I have (under the butt, and fits like a suit jacket?). I'm stuck on the length, the coat just has to fall in the butt area.. I could certainly have the wrong idea with everything else, and am open to all suggestions.

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greatfire
Side question: don't you think a peacoat is kinda for women?
totally. This is why, as everyone knows, the navy is staffed entirely by females.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greatfire
Side question: don't you think a peacoat is kinda for women? That aside, everyone seems to be suggesting it, so beyond the fit information I said before, what else should I look for to make sure a coat is good? Also, what are some examples of good coats that meet the few parameters I have (under the butt, and fits like a suit jacket?). I'm stuck on the length, the coat just has to fall in the butt area.. I could certainly have the wrong idea with everything else, and am open to all suggestions.
Really, a peacoat is THE winter coat that is cut like a suit jacket. Anything but that, cut that short, will look a little odd. Trust me, get one that's cut right, and always wear the collar up, no one will think it's girly looking.

greatfire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
totally. This is why, as everyone knows, the navy is staffed entirely by females.
sarcasm:
smile.gif

I'm glad that I asked, however, because its hard for me to deny seeing upwards of 90% of the college female population wearing peacoats that fall right under their ass.

ts4them

Reaction score
So you guys don't think the peacoat is a bit tired? I was thinking of getting one this year, but the ones I've had in the past are a bit stiff (too cheap I guess). Know of any softer, somewhat modernized versions?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I've been thinking about getting a peacoat this year and would like to know where to look. I went to an army surplus store and the coat they had there was too stiff, felt like cardboard...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads