1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Coat

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by greatfire, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

This is from the Press section of H&M's website, is this it?

[​IMG]

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

yea that's the one. in the ad it has text saying "doublebreasted coat $129"

I think it looks pretty good, not as boxy as most peacoats

3. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

No information on what to look for when selecting a coat?

4. j

j Senior member Admin

I'm in the same boat. I've been thinking about getting a peacoat this year and would like to know where to look. I went to an army surplus store and the coat they had there was too stiff, felt like cardboard...
    Too stiff? Walk the plank! The good ones are stiff and scratchy. Do a search here on 'peacoat' and you'll find some more info including my peacoat dogma.

Other options are the duffel coat which has toggle closure and is available cut to midthigh to above the knee, or you could always get a longer coat and cut it down short as you like.

5. faust

faust Senior member

I hate peacoats. [​IMG]

6. ejquin

ejquin Well-Known Member

I didn't see any price requirements, but pretty much every designer has a peacoat this fall, and they are generally going to be slimmer and softer than classic peacoats. I recently picked up a Miu Miu peacoat that is soft and comfy as hell, and is a very nice dark charcoal color. It also has a button in hood that kind of updates the look, but can be taken out if you want.

Other peacoats this fall are RLPL in a gunmetal, paul smith, penguin black label, banana republic, dior, yamamoto, and on and on.

7. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

I purchased a cashmere blend peacoat from Bluefly last winter, and could not be any happier with it. I also cannot tell you how many of my female friends remarked how soft it felt in relation to other peacoats - a little cashmere goes a long way, it would seem.

8. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Senior member

This is from the Press section of H&M's website, is this it?

[​IMG]

I'm in the same boat!!

6'2", thin(ish) @ around 180lbs, but i'm BROAD. so would a peacoat make me look even broader?

i love the look of this H&M one. but their website is confusing as hell. does it have an "order online" option??

9. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

10. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

I'm in the same boat!!

6'2", thin(ish) @ around 180lbs, but i'm BROAD. so would a peacoat make me look even broader?

i love the look of this H&M one. but their website is confusing as hell. does it have an "order online" option??

I'm wondering the same darn thing. For $129.00, this coat seems like a decent option, but I couldn't figure out the stupid h&m website. I tracked down their store to shop.hm.com (saw it on google), but that now just redirects to the hm.com home page.

11. jet

jet Senior member

What's the big hype about h&m, I went to one while in DC last year and the stuff was crap. I would rank it slightly higher than gap.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

What do you think of this coat?

http://is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluefly/p...600&height=600

I'm really not getting it yet, the attributes that make a coat good, and that seperate and average coat from a spectacular one.

It's really hard to quantify what makes any piece great.

Mainly, IMO, the main attribute is the cut. The silhouette is the most important thing. How it interacts with your body to enhance the better features while disguising the lesser, and yet strike its own shape, are paramount. If the silhouette and style speaks to a function and yet is aesthetically pleasing, that's even better. Great materials are a plus, but not essential - luckily, some of the best materials are also very functional (good shearling, cashmere, wool, etc.) But a well cut coat of cheap fabric will look better than a bag made of vicuna.

If your priority is function first, however, this changes things somewhat.

And personally, I don't like that shearling much, but if it fit well, it might be a different story.

13. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

Check out the one from Banana Express...it's not wool but heavy cotton, similar to moleskin. It's a lot more comfortable and modern than a real peacoat
    Cool, thanks. Do you mean Banana Republic? I've never heard of Banana Express. I like the look of that H & M one, I'll go check it out and see how it fits. The H & M cuts tend to be a little strange unfortunately, and I find that the shoulders on jackets and some of their shirts are a little pointy. Hopefully this won't be the case.

14. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

What's the big hype about h&m, I went to one while in DC last year and the stuff was crap. I would rank it slightly higher than gap.
    Yeah, the good thing about it is that it's cheap and modern/trendy. The clothes don't last very long, but you don't care because they're so inexpensive. I've gotten a few things there that I love and have had for a while. Cool scarves that are $10 - $15, decent bags for around the same, t-shirts for $10. It's worth going to because you can find some really good steals.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Cool, thanks. Do you mean Banana Republic? I've never heard of Banana Express.

haha yea Banana REPUBLIC. [​IMG]

16. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

What do you think of this coat?

http://is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluefly/p...600&height=600

I'm really not getting it yet, the attributes that make a coat good, and that seperate and average coat from a spectacular one.

Doesn't that coat go to midthigh?

17. JoMak_NYC

JoMak_NYC Senior member

I need some help too. Looking for a black nylon jacket (preferably lined) for work and everyday use. And also a militart style green canvas bomber (contrasting lining ideal). Any thoughts? Kenneth Cole comes to mind here but I wanna consider something a bit more fashion forward. KC seems to be playing it safe.

18. Largo

Largo Senior member

I've been considering a peacoat (couldn't find any examples of that Spruce, though), but as far as winter coats go, I've been in the market for a new one and really like the
    Ever Anchorage=http://www.activeendeavors.com/produ...&pfid=AED14162,
    but it's a little out of my range at the moment. Can anybody think of something in the ever-popular similar-but-cheaper (sale or otherwise) variety?

19. j

j Senior member Admin

I've been considering a peacoat (couldn't find any examples of that Spruce, though), but as far as winter coats go, I've been in the market for a new one and really like the
    Ever Anchorage=http://www.activeendeavors.com/produ...&pfid=AED14162,
    but it's a little out of my range at the moment. Can anybody think of something in the ever-popular similar-but-cheaper (sale or otherwise) variety?

Very cool. I have an old Armani trench like that, that's longer and has no fur. It's a very toasty coat. It's much like an old German army parka I had. If you look at these parkas, they are that length. They also come with a cool patch that says "Bundesgrenzschutz" on the shoulder.

Here's one: http://www.surplusandadventure.com/i...opscr1063.html

Though I got the one I had from an army surplus online for like $10. Gave it to a friend who wore it every night all through winter to a night shift job where he worked outside in it a lot of the time. It still looks great. Plus there was a rebate - after about a year of using it he found a 10 DM note in one of the pockets. [​IMG]

Here's one in the Flecktarn pattern: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=278107

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dim...0,320&cvt=jpeg