1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Coat

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by greatfire, Aug 22, 2006.

1. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

I'm looking for a good winter coat.

America. college. New York. Very cold.

20. 6'1". skinny. african american.

I really have a thing for wool coats, but I'm looking for a good stylish coat, no matter the type of material it is made out of. I like the coat to fall just under my butt, and for the shoulder and chest area to fit very well. Any advice?

I currently have a coat that goes down to my mid thigh area, and I am really not a big fan: way too long. I've tried the shorter coats that fall just on or just above my belt, and I think those are too small. So I guess my one limit is that the coat fall right under my butt.

Money is a factor, but I want to ignore that for the moment as I get some coat/style suggestions.

Thanks.

2. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Try Bluefly. Lots of shorter coat / jackets, there. Good prices.

3. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

Do you have any specific suggestions. I see lots of coat, but my eye for style would probably leave me selecting a terrible one, which is the problem.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Peacoat? seems to fit your criteria, as far as length and fit

5. Ivan Kipling

Agree on the peacoat . . . something double breasted would break your 'line,' as it were. You'd look a little broader, not so slim. You don't want to overwhelm your physique with something too bulky. A clean, classic look in double breasted style should work.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

7. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Senior member

I recently picked up the peacoat from the Paul Smith 2006 FW lineup and I love it - too bad I can't wear it yet.

8. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

How about something like this? Not sure if this is warm enough?

http://bluefly.com/pages/products/de...&Nu=Product+ID

That's about 3/4 length, isn't it? Greatfire said earlier that having a coat hit mid-thigh was too long, which that coat might be.

As a thin, formerly super-skinny guy, I second/third/whatever the peacoat suggestion.

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

H&M or Zara may have something you'd like in the next few months - and at those stores, the price is always right. Plus the fit is always good for thin guys.

10. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

Side question: don't you think a peacoat is kinda for women? That aside, everyone seems to be suggesting it, so beyond the fit information I said before, what else should I look for to make sure a coat is good? Also, what are some examples of good coats that meet the few parameters I have (under the butt, and fits like a suit jacket?). I'm stuck on the length, the coat just has to fall in the butt area.. I could certainly have the wrong idea with everything else, and am open to all suggestions.

11. Ott

Ott Senior member

Side question: don't you think a peacoat is kinda for women?
    totally. This is why, as everyone knows, the navy is staffed entirely by females.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

Side question: don't you think a peacoat is kinda for women? That aside, everyone seems to be suggesting it, so beyond the fit information I said before, what else should I look for to make sure a coat is good? Also, what are some examples of good coats that meet the few parameters I have (under the butt, and fits like a suit jacket?). I'm stuck on the length, the coat just has to fall in the butt area.. I could certainly have the wrong idea with everything else, and am open to all suggestions.
    Really, a peacoat is THE winter coat that is cut like a suit jacket. Anything but that, cut that short, will look a little odd. Trust me, get one that's cut right, and always wear the collar up, no one will think it's girly looking.

13. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

totally. This is why, as everyone knows, the navy is staffed entirely by females.
    sarcasm: [​IMG].

I'm glad that I asked, however, because its hard for me to deny seeing upwards of 90% of the college female population wearing peacoats that fall right under their ass.

14. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

So you guys don't think the peacoat is a bit tired? I was thinking of getting one this year, but the ones I've had in the past are a bit stiff (too cheap I guess). Know of any softer, somewhat modernized versions?

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I'm in the same boat. I've been thinking about getting a peacoat this year and would like to know where to look. I went to an army surplus store and the coat they had there was too stiff, felt like cardboard...

16. Ivan Kipling

The J. Peterman catalogue used to carry what they claimed, was the real thing. I bought one, back in 1993. It ran small. It was HEAVY. It was WARM. I wore that thing, out. However, every piece of lint known to man, stuck to the fabric. The wool did not feel good against the skin.

The jacket that I owned, indented toward the waist. Newer versions are boxier, or more wedge shaped. For most of us, the 'new' peacoat, is easier to wear. I don't find them to be effeminate. I do think a peacoat is dashing, and classic.

Where to find, the 'new' and improved, peacoat? Well, if you're not put off by JCREW, they always have a peacoat, in fall and winter. I've seen peacoats at department stores, as well.

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

H&M has a peacoat in their latest ad that looks good, seems to be fitted in the body and is $129. Can't wait for that shit to finally open in So Cal this fall...

18. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I was thinking of getting one this year, but the ones I've had in the past are a bit stiff (too cheap I guess). Know of any softer, somewhat modernized versions?

Check out the one from Banana Express...it's not wool but heavy cotton, similar to moleskin. It's a lot more comfortable and modern than a real peacoat

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

H&M has a peacoat in their latest ad that looks good, seems to be fitted in the body and is $129. Can't wait for that shit to finally open in So Cal this fall...

When is this supposed to hit the stores (peacoat) I'm still planning to get a sterlingwear but might check out the H&M offering.

GetSmart: do you have a link to the ad

20. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

It's in the latest US GQ magazine...I'll scan it and post it tonite if no one can find an online image by then.