Winter coat...too big?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Swiper, Nov 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Swiper

Swiper Well-Known Member

I was looking for a winter coat that could work for business casual and also weekend wear. I'm not a huge fan of peacoats but wanted something similar. I saw this coat as I was browsing the BB website and really liked the look.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Wool-...ar_ML00145_Color=BLCK&contentpos=61&cgid=0222

Based on the online fit-guide I bought a medium which just arrived on Friday. Not having any experience in these types of coats I am wondering if the coat length and sleeve length is too long. It feels great in the shoulders and chest so I don't think I could size down to a small. Another newbie question...are you supposed to tailor these types of coats at all?

Oh...and please excuse the trousers...crazy static

[​IMG]

Thanks...

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

The fit looks just fine - it's a nice looking coat.

If you really want to you can have a tailor shorten the sleeves - they are a touch long, however depending on where you live and how cold it gets in the winter you may want to leave it longer so when you are out and about in the freezing cold you don't reach out leaving part of your wrist exposed.

I have a similar jacket that I shortened the sleeves on - it looks picture perfect when my arms hang straight down like in your pic - but when I'm driving and I extend my arms fully - it's a little short leaving some skin exposed.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Welcome to Styleforum Swiper. My question to you would be, what is the intended use for this coat?

4. Swiper

Swiper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome...

I wanted a coat primarily to wear to and from work in a business casual office. I don't wear suits to work so I wanted to keep it casual but nice. I was trying to go for something that would work with trousers, chinos or jeans.

5. sullivan025

sullivan025 Senior member

If it feels good then I think altering the coat is unnecessary. As for the sleeves they're fine you can always wear gloves if gets too cold, the color's great by the way.

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Sleeves look a bit long otherwise it should be fine.

7. atoms

atoms Senior member

Nice coat, looks great.

8. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Yes, the sleeves are long. The large pockets near the waist make the jacket look big there. Whether it actually is loose at the waist is unknown (due to lack of measurements and other pictures). By the way, those same pockets probably make it more "casual" than "business casual."

9. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

The coat does look good except for the large pockets and nonexistent waistline.

10. marburymadison

marburymadison Well-Known Member

That coat looks nice, though it could use shorter sleeves. Still, not a deal-breaker.