• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

winter coat to wear over a suit

noremac

Reaction score
Hello: This is my first post on SF, and I look forward to benefitting from the collective wisdom of SF members.

I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of winter coat to wear over a suit for Canadian winter. I've live in Manitoba, and I've always worn parkas or peacoats depending on the temperature. However, I now need to wear suits, and a wool overcoat with scarf is simply not warm enough without a hood, a proper collar, or windproofing. Winter temps range from -15C (5F) to -45C (-49F) for six months of the year, and I walk and use public transit. I'd love to look good, but warmth is vital.

Searching SF leads me to believe that most men wear a wool/cashmere overcoat and simply suffer the cold. Is this the only option? Could I wear something like a Canada Goose parka over a suit? Or is does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks in advance!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If you are in a position to do bespoke, you can find extremely heavy overcoating cloth that you will never see off the rack.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's spelled "Topcoat". Try to get a lined warm one and you should be ok.

MinnMD

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota. Some of the senior university faculty around here wear parkas similar to J Press'. That's what I'd probably wear for public transportation in the depths of winter.

http://jpressonline.com/outerwear_co...?id=6528MR_TAN

I drive to work in a car and prefer a wool topcoat (overcoat) for the short trip between the parking lot and my office, but I carry a wool hat, wool scarf, and ear muffs in my briefcase in case I need to walk further outside than anticipated.

MinnMD

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a heavyweight melton wool overcoat from Chester Barrie that I wear all winter. -30 Celsius temperatures are not uncommon here and I've never been cold. With a knee-length coat and proper gloves, scarf, boots and hat, you should be fine.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Denver, I wear a nice wool topcoat over my suits during our relatively mild winters. I lived and worked in Moscow for five years and can relate to bitter cold winter weather. I wore a big down parka with a down hood over my suits. Comfort and warmth trumps style when it -20 C.

Twotone

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
Here in Denver, I wear a nice wool topcoat over my suits during our relatively mild winters. I lived and worked in Moscow for five years and can relate to bitter cold winter weather. I wore a big down parka with a down hood over my suits. Comfort and warmth trumps style when it -20 C.

Twotone

+1

If you wear a 3/4 length down filled winter/ski coat/parka in -20C to -30C, this would be NORMAL. People would stare at you if you were wearing a topcoat with a -45C windchill. "Who is that ******* idiot!"

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mayfair is great, but no way it will stand against Canadian Winter. It is great for California winter however.

noremac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
+1

If you wear a 3/4 length down filled winter/ski coat/parka in -20C to -30C, this would be NORMAL. People would stare at you if you were wearing a topcoat with a -45C windchill. "Who is that ******* idiot!"

Thanks for this. I have been really surprised by the insistence that I stick with a topcoast. Until I get a chauffeur or move to a warmer climate, it's simply not practicable.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here in Texas we...

oh wait...

nevermind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads