• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Coat Thread FW11

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MMM duvet coat for those of you up north :embar:

tumblr_lus42hpEs61r5yc70o2_500.jpg

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I honestly think CG is too warm most of the time, and ill fitting in terms of cut, since the jackets aren't really made to form nicely to your body. The construction and details just make the jacket stand out a lot more, and i think they will be plenty warm for the winter. They're all heavyweight waxed cotton with wool blanket lining, which I think is warm enough for the winter unless you're just standing outside doing nothing. The Krane jackets will be 20% off, they were on sale at some places already

I wouldn't say TOO warm but I know what you mean. I have a CG from years back and it's certainly toasty. But I'm looking to sell mine as I want something different. Plus all the local university kids (Ryerson) have em.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I honestly think CG is too warm most of the time, and ill fitting in terms of cut, since the jackets aren't really made to form nicely to your body. The construction and details just make the jacket stand out a lot more, and i think they will be plenty warm for the winter. They're all heavyweight waxed cotton with wool blanket lining, which I think is warm enough for the winter unless you're just standing outside doing nothing. The Krane jackets will be 20% off, they were on sale at some places already

It depends on the model personally I didn't find my CG to be too warm, but I get where you are coming from, some of them aren't as warm as I was expecting them to be.

It was 10C last week and I saw multiple people walking around with their CG expedtions fully zipped. :crazy:

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
Any parkas under $300? Slimmer fit, if that isn't a complete contradiction. I just don't want to look like I'm wearing a dress.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could anyone comment on the warmth of a Canada Goose vs Krane vs Parajumper?? Still deciding which coat I should take :hide:

I have the Krane Jonas (I believe that's the model) and it keeps me quite warm in the winter. I'm in Minnesota also, so the cold gets serious around here. No experience with the other two though, but I imagine the CG would be warmer just due to the thickness of the coat itself.

AHShadow

Reaction score

I have the Krane Jonas (I believe that's the model) and it keeps me quite warm in the winter. I'm in Minnesota also, so the cold gets serious around here. No experience with the other two though, but I imagine the CG would be warmer just due to the thickness of the coat itself.

Thanks for the reply! I'll be going to a store tomorrow that carries the Emory Bomber, so I'll comment on the warmth afterwards!

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Any recommendations for outerwear? I have nothing.
What brands can I check out on eBay/B+S for parkas, jackets, toggle coats, down jackets ~$100? Really want a toggle coat (XS or Small) Are Patagonia good for down jackets?

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I'll be going to a store tomorrow that carries the Emory Bomber, so I'll comment on the warmth afterwards!

What brands can I check out on eBay/B+S for parkas, jackets, toggle coats, down jackets ~$100? Really want a toggle coat (XS or Small) Are Patagonia good for down jackets?

Patagonia is a good brand. But Canada Goose can be gotten on Gear Trade for as much as 70% off retail, if you don't mind that it won't be in new condition. You can still bring home an excellent down jacket without paying full retail. Also consider Eddie Bauer's B-9, which you may be able to get on sale for Black Friday - they have a sale going on now.

Last edited:

blairh

Reaction score

I can vouch for Patagonia and its quality with down jackets and any of their coats in general. I also like the fact that they are not completely played out like North Face.

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can vouch for Patagonia and its quality with down jackets and any of their coats in general. I also like the fact that they are not completely played out like North Face.

lol

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score

Has the title of this thread always been fucked? How haven't I noticed it before

Sorry, I forgot style nomenclature. There are only 9-10 days of winter in the year 2011, but it's still winter 2011. :paranoia:

Where should I go in NYC to try on Fjallraven? Canada Goose? Also, what's the best place aside from Gear Trade to look for lightly used items?

Last edited:

wwjbd24

Reaction score
any recommendations: similar to patagonia isthmus, green color, fur hood (preferable). Doesn't have to be too warm, just for walking to class and around the city in the mid-atlantic. I was thinking the alpha industries n3b but it looks almost too thick. preferably under $300? Thanks!

wwjbd24

Reaction score
basically what i'm asking is, is the alpha n3b too warm to wear just to commute and casually? Everyone's talking about it for -20 but is it overkill for 20 degrees?

Gavin

Reaction score
Reminder that all KRANE outerwear will be 20% off from 10am EST tomorrow to 10pm EST on Saturday. Use code DANIELSAN at checkout.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads