1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Coat Thread FW11

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SeanathonHuff, Oct 4, 2011.

1. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

I think the standard CG face fabric is a cotton/nylon oxford with a dwr treatment. It should be fine for some wet snow, but anything too sloppy, and it will wet out. A CG parka is not designed to handle rain or wet snow, but sometimes nature will find a way to screw with you. I'm sure a spray like revivex or granger's will boost water repellency, but it's unnecessary.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

1 person likes this.
  3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I put grangers on mine and it still wasn't impressive.

At one point wore mine during a dog walk where it went from being below 0c and snowing to just over and rain, which led to a very wet coat.

Add a good pair of boots, keeping your extremities warm is always important.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

Thanks! I'll definitely look into those.

Also + 1 for warm boots..keeping your feet warm is priority.

5. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I like Meindl Gastein GTX lined with warm lambskin. Its equipped with a Vibram Ice Trek outsole, outstanding for tough ice and snow conditions. Its my go to winter boots.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Don't know it, but A&f has a European web shop so use that or even better get something else.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  7. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior member

Anyone have experience with the Canada Goose Banff?

It has a nice collar look to it, and seems like it is not so extreme as to be sweaty unless the arctic temperatures plunge wildly.

It does not appear as slim fitting as some of the others.

views?

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior member

PS:

As to boots, I use Baffins in the snow. I was warm at well below Zero F while shoveling snow last year and they held up nicely.

Bogs have low temperature ratings, but I have not tested them in the very cold. Thus far, they have been "mud season" boots and have held up well.

As to gloves...

The lowest temperature outdoors I have been in here was -22 F. When it is that cold, I don't go out much!

I am open to suggestions as to very good gloves for very cold temps with snow and outdoor activities.

9. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

I have a pair of Hestra X Norse Projects leather lambskin-lined gloves. They're insufficient on their own - my fingers get painfully numb in very cold weather after wearing them only a short while. I found liner gloves are a must! Right now I wear metallic liners but silk or polypropylene are also quite effective. Keeping hands warm is hard even with the best gloves!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ah, I see that we are talking real cold now. Canadian cold. The answer is, there are no gloves that will keep you warm in this temperatures. Good ski gloves with liner gloves underneath are the only glove option, but honestly, at -22C and below, mittens are much more effective at keeping you warm. When I did actually outdoor activities in severe cold conditions (mountaineering), I wore Mamut mittens, which had a synthetic and leather shell, and a goose down + synthetic insulation. They also had a full gauntlet, which is 100% necessary unless you want wind to tear through your cuffs. Of course, no "fashion" jacket is going to work the way real performance gear does. You want everything longer and cinched, with not a single place that will allow wind to go through.

tbh, I sort of like experiencing -30 C weather occasionally. You are stripped of all your cares about appearance, and your favorite color becomes "warm".

11. willyxjai

willyxjai Well-Known Member

Im pretty sensitive when comes to cold, where I live our temperature rarely dips below -15 after windchill so I can easily wear my canada goose yukon bomber i purchased when they first released their japanese slim cut line.

12. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

It doesn't get very cold where I live except for maybe a couple times a year and it's usually colder than most people here are prepared for. Love busting out my--hideous--$100 down filled parka and snow boots and watching people freeze trying to stay fashionable.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  13. jet

jet Senior member

I hate when it dips into the +30s, the heaters are insufficient and my hands get cold with my gloves on trying to smoke cigars.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Stop wearing fingerless gloves.

As for gloves I have a pair of fox river that works, if you want something warmer get some ski gloves (hestra has a pair in elk leather).

15. martinottawa

martinottawa Member

I'd be interested in knowing more about the Norrona 29 parka if anyone has one. How warm/puffy is it? Would it be suitable for -30 to -40 weather (I live in Yellowknife)? Also, is it full-length (i.e. knee-length)? I am wavering between it and a Canada Goose Westmount.

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

17. classybison

classybison Member

Can anyone suggest a nice wool short coat. I have a pea coat but I'm looking for something a bit shorter and more casual. I found one at the Tom Ford store in NYC that I fell in love with, had a bit of a military inspiration and also came in suede, but I am trying to keep this well under $2500. Does anyone know of something along these lines? (FYI I deal with Central-Pennsylvania cold windy and wet winters)

18. martinottawa

martinottawa Member

Thanks for the info - wound up going with the CG Westmount purely for warmth. Too bad, I really like the look of the Norrona!

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I wasn't impressed with my Constable, the /29 is a lot warmer, it being Gore-Tex helps a lot, as its wind and water proof.

Mail Norrona they are placed in Norway, so they know cold.

1 person likes this.
  20. martinottawa

martinottawa Member

The Canada Goose are good for a very specific thing, which is very cold, very dry conditions (since they don't use waterproof fabrics) . The Constable is one of their lighter coats, so I'm not surprised that the Norrona is warmer. They "know cold", but the cold they know is dry cold - of the kind we have in Yellowknife. Not much good for anywhere where it could get damp - including Toronto, where they're made.

1 person likes this.