• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Coat Dilemma

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
does anybody know if w&h or krane is coming out with overcoats this coming season? they only had jackets in the pics i have seen.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From everything I read last season on the matter, if I were going to sink a wad of cash into a substantial winter coat, it'd be from Krane. That said, if I were to do so, the damn thing would have to be warm. Spending a grand on a coat right now would probably result in me living on the streets.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This thread splintered early on into several types of outerwear - military style, pea coats, and then duffles... fair enough, but what would go into one's 'dream winter coat' ?? - that is, anything but tailored topcoats...
Materials, important construction details, features/functions, fit requirements...

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jim Hope: Very good. Now I want you all to imagine the perfect toy. What would it be like?
Terri: [holding stuffed animal] It should be soft and cuddly.
Bart: Yeah, with lots of firepower.
Milhouse: Its eyes should be telescopes! No, periscopes! No, microscopes! Can you come back to me?
Nelson: It should be full of surprises.
Milhouse: It should never stop dancing.
Martin: It should need accessories.

In other words, please return with a coat that looks like this:

Funzo.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
does anybody know if w&h or krane is coming out with overcoats this coming season? they only had jackets in the pics i have seen.

Wings+Horns has no overcoats for FW09. Krane has a long wool coat that could probably be used as an overcoat (I think that it is based on a military coat.)

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I haven't read through all the posts here but, Teger, are you considering selling your BR and J Crew coats? If so, how much, size, and pix?

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
This thread splintered early on into several types of outerwear - military style, pea coats, and then duffles... fair enough, but what would go into one's 'dream winter coat' ?? - that is, anything but tailored topcoats... Materials, important construction details, features/functions, fit requirements...
I like lots of different styles. Basically, a winter coat has to be warm, attractive, durable, and not ridiculously expensive. Also, it has to be available in XS.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
One of my best winter coats is an old grey herringbone overcoat with some old-timer dept store label (B. Harris?). It must be from the 60s but it's in perfect shape. It's slightly fuller cut than most things these days but the lapels are thin, the overall quality is top notch, and it's very warm. And I think I only paid around 30 bucks for it.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the maine guide jacket and layer up if needed.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need a Mister Freedom peacoat, teger. I hear the Liquor Store still has one.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Wings+Horns has no overcoats for FW09. Krane has a long wool coat that could probably be used as an overcoat (I think that it is based on a military coat.)

Is the Krane stuff posted up anywhere?

Django

Reaction score
The J Crew mens shop has the Mr Freedom peacoats, had like 6 in stock last time I was there (one on broadway)

sploosh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
I got a great deal on a wool Spiewak duffle that has lasted me forever. The fit is spot on, it's really, really warm, and the details are awesome. Probably my favorite coat.

I'm actually looking for one more wool coat for this F/W so I'm glad you made this. I've been thinking about just buying a Sterlingwear but I'm not so sure anymore...

Are you reffering to this coat:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2938362...-5619-DE11-B0EA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
?

I am thinking about getting this. I am usually an xs so it will probably be too big, do you think it could be pulled off worn a little big?

Also does anyone own this?
http://spirithorseenterprises.com/jackets_&_pants.htm

A lined wool jacket that comes in small sizes for only $100. It looks similar to the filson wool mackinaw, would it be warm enough in the winter?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads