• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter coat advise

londonj

Reaction score
I've been looking recently for a charcoal or grey herringbone topcoat around NYC. I've seen some nice cashmere overcoats in Filenese but I'm not a fan off full length coats and it feels sacrilegious to chop up a beautiful coat.

So any advice for what would work well with a suit, I'm looking up to 400.

I was considering this but would prefer a cashmere blend and I'm generally not a fan of ted baker. I'd also consider solids.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

londonj

Reaction score
Thanks, they don't do top coats ( 3/4 length) though. I saw a beautiful grey plaid/herringbone Prada one in the last GQ but don't have a link. Well out of my budget unfortunately..

I tried the burlington coat factory but found their range and quality poor. Century 21 has a couple of nice over coats but not much in 3/4 length..

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Have you tried H&M, Banana Republic, Zara, etc?

No kidding, I have a black wool/cashmere DB topcoat from H&M I bought here for around $120 and It is a nice and cheap topcoat I use for most informal occasions in the winter...

Yes is not hight quality, but looks good, keeps you warm and is stylish indeed. So for everyday use is OK... Is not so soft as a high quality one... but is good

I have seen they have also grey herringbone this year, jackets and topcoats, in 100% wool or mixed....

as for a grey herringbone I have an Italian Pal Zileri sartoriale that is wonderful, those can be bought for under $400 here in Europe in sale period, I have been complimented about it by the staff in Brooks Brothers when I passed by NY... I think I paid $350 for it, but you'd have to wait untill the end of winter to get them at that price

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo makes a great one - a real Chesterfield. I think you can have the velvet collar removed if it bothers you.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The sound you'd hear would be my heart breaking.

I love the velvet collar, but have heard that some don't care for it. I think the Polo coat is one of the finest examples of a CHesterfield that I have seen RTW and got one thanks to the good graces of our own ranchsooner.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too love a Chesterfield. I believe it was DocHolliday that pointed out Armani's version of a Chesterfield collar, in Men's Vogue. I saw it and liked it, very, very much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads