1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter coat advise

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by londonj, Oct 6, 2006.

1. londonj

londonj Senior member

I've been looking recently for a charcoal or grey herringbone topcoat around NYC. I've seen some nice cashmere overcoats in Filenese but I'm not a fan off full length coats and it feels sacrilegious to chop up a beautiful coat.

So any advice for what would work well with a suit, I'm looking up to 400.

I was considering this but would prefer a cashmere blend and I'm generally not a fan of ted baker. I'd also consider solids.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

You could try Charles Tyrwhitt. At 50% off (ctshirts.com/pine), they're still under $300. No idea on the quality.

3. londonj

londonj Senior member

Thanks, they don't do top coats ( 3/4 length) though. I saw a beautiful grey plaid/herringbone Prada one in the last GQ but don't have a link. Well out of my budget unfortunately..

I tried the burlington coat factory but found their range and quality poor. Century 21 has a couple of nice over coats but not much in 3/4 length..

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Have you tried H&M, Banana Republic, Zara, etc?

5. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Have you tried H&M, Banana Republic, Zara, etc?

No kidding, I have a black wool/cashmere DB topcoat from H&M I bought here for around $120 and It is a nice and cheap topcoat I use for most informal occasions in the winter...

Yes is not hight quality, but looks good, keeps you warm and is stylish indeed. So for everyday use is OK... Is not so soft as a high quality one... but is good

I have seen they have also grey herringbone this year, jackets and topcoats, in 100% wool or mixed....

as for a grey herringbone I have an Italian Pal Zileri sartoriale that is wonderful, those can be bought for under $400 here in Europe in sale period, I have been complimented about it by the staff in Brooks Brothers when I passed by NY... I think I paid $350 for it, but you'd have to wait untill the end of winter to get them at that price

6. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Polo makes a great one - a real Chesterfield. I think you can have the velvet collar removed if it bothers you.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think you can have the velvet collar removed if it bothers you.

The sound you'd hear would be my heart breaking.

8. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

The sound you'd hear would be my heart breaking.

I love the velvet collar, but have heard that some don't care for it. I think the Polo coat is one of the finest examples of a CHesterfield that I have seen RTW and got one thanks to the good graces of our own ranchsooner.

9. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I too love a Chesterfield. I believe it was DocHolliday that pointed out Armani's version of a Chesterfield collar, in Men's Vogue. I saw it and liked it, very, very much.