• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Boots

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
I think that's the same one Crane's store manager wears around his ranch. He posted pics in the Wolverine boot thread - said it's been through all kinds of muck and withstands everything.

Also, what up with Katahdin's sizing? Should one order dress shoe size or sneaker size? For example I wear 10.5 Clarks DB, Redwing, Varvatos, Paul Smith and 11 in New Balance sneaks.

These boots don't get as much praise because they may not be as aesthically appealing as an RW GT but if you're in a part of the country where your winters are tough; these boots will have your feet singing your praises.

I ordered an 11 in the Katadhin and they fit perfectly. I wear an 11.5 in NB's and Vans. I'm a 10.5 in the RW Iron Rangers as well.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Click the link in my sig for pictures of me wearing the katahdin with two different pairs of jeans (neither of which fit very well but whatever).

They look lighter than I was expecting - is that the standard brown color (the only one they are currently selling?) Nice though thanks for the link.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
I just perused the whole "Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?" thread and the most well recieved boot was the Katahdin. A few notes...

- Sizing: Most said "True to size" - I suppose that means go with whatever most of your shoes are. How to choose between dress shoe size and sneaker size? If you are going to wear thick wool socks definately go with the larger size. I'm going to try my dress shoe size first since I won't be trudging them through snow with thick socks.

- The pics on page 1 of this thread had an application of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP.

- They slip on ice.

- They come "distressed" in appearance and every time you touch it leaves a mark (similiar to suede.) If you apply Obenaufs or sno seal they will darken a bit and leave a uniform appearance. Here is a picture straight out of the box. The owner stated the picture was in bright sun and didn't appear THAT distressed in normal lighting. After applying Obenaufs LP & water seal it turned into a nice uniform
reddish/brown.

****, maybe I should've just started a "LL Bean Katahdin" thread. I just don't want to be called a special flower.

3859447525_db5c0f1e79.jpg

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^No way that is straight out of the box. There is some textural inconsistency when you open it up but that has more to with the leather. I don't think there is any real pre-distressing done to them.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
^No way that is straight out of the box. There is some textural inconsistency when you open it up but that has more to with the leather. I don't think there is any real pre-distressing done to them.

Here's the links to his before & after posts. He later said they were taken in very bright sun and you could "barely see the marks" in normal light.

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=112

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=125

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Each person will receive a different looking pair out of the box..

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just perused the whole "Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?" thread and the most well recieved boot was the Katahdin. A few notes... - Sizing: Most said "True to size" - I suppose that means go with whatever most of your shoes are. How to choose between dress shoe size and sneaker size? If you are going to wear thick wool socks definately go with the larger size. I'm going to try my dress shoe size first since I won't be trudging them through snow with thick socks. - The pics on page 1 of this thread had an application of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. - They slip on ice. - They come "distressed" in appearance and every time you touch it leaves a mark (similiar to suede.) If you apply Obenaufs or sno seal they will darken a bit and leave a uniform appearance. Here is a picture straight out of the box. The owner stated the picture was in bright sun and didn't appear THAT distressed in normal lighting. After applying Obenaufs LP & water seal it turned into a nice uniform reddish/brown. ****, maybe I should've just started a "LL Bean Katahdin" thread. I just don't want to be called a special flower.

I'm in love with the boots and plan on wearing them out as much as i can. I kinda look like a moron wearing them now when it's been 90+ degrees here in NYC, but *******. Does anyone know a similar type of boot, inclusive to silhouette and toe profile in black ?

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rapefruit

Reaction score
I just perused the whole "Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?" thread and the most well recieved boot was the Katahdin. A few notes...

- Sizing: Most said "True to size" - I suppose that means go with whatever most of your shoes are. How to choose between dress shoe size and sneaker size? If you are going to wear thick wool socks definately go with the larger size. I'm going to try my dress shoe size first since I won't be trudging them through snow with thick socks.

- The pics on page 1 of this thread had an application of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP.

- They slip on ice.

- They come "distressed" in appearance and every time you touch it leaves a mark (similiar to suede.) If you apply Obenaufs or sno seal they will darken a bit and leave a uniform appearance. Here is a picture straight out of the box. The owner stated the picture was in bright sun and didn't appear THAT distressed in normal lighting. After applying Obenaufs LP & water seal it turned into a nice uniform
reddish/brown.

****, maybe I should've just started a "LL Bean Katahdin" thread. I just don't want to be called a special flower.

Can you please post a pic wearing jeans with these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads