1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Verna, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

^No way that is straight out of the box. There is some textural inconsistency when you open it up but that has more to with the leather. I don't think there is any real pre-distressing done to them.

Here's the links to his before & after posts. He later said they were taken in very bright sun and you could "barely see the marks" in normal light.

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=112

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=125

2. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

Each person will receive a different looking pair out of the box..

3. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

I just perused the whole "Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?" thread and the most well recieved boot was the Katahdin. A few notes... - Sizing: Most said "True to size" - I suppose that means go with whatever most of your shoes are. How to choose between dress shoe size and sneaker size? If you are going to wear thick wool socks definately go with the larger size. I'm going to try my dress shoe size first since I won't be trudging them through snow with thick socks. - The pics on page 1 of this thread had an application of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. - They slip on ice. - They come "distressed" in appearance and every time you touch it leaves a mark (similiar to suede.) If you apply Obenaufs or sno seal they will darken a bit and leave a uniform appearance. Here is a picture straight out of the box. The owner stated the picture was in bright sun and didn't appear THAT distressed in normal lighting. After applying Obenaufs LP & water seal it turned into a nice uniform reddish/brown. Fuck, maybe I should've just started a "LL Bean Katahdin" thread. I just don't want to be called a special flower. [​IMG]
    I'm in love with the boots and plan on wearing them out as much as i can. I kinda look like a moron wearing them now when it's been 90+ degrees here in NYC, but fuck it. Does anyone know a similar type of boot, inclusive to silhouette and toe profile in black ?

4. Kent Money

Kent Money Senior member

Considering these as my new winter boot purchase. Would appreciate any reviews. These are the waterproofed version.

http://www.timberland.com/product/in...entPage=family

Thanks gents.

i have the same boot, but in all black.

i think itll be a keeper

5. rapefruit

rapefruit Senior member

I just perused the whole "Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?" thread and the most well recieved boot was the Katahdin. A few notes...

- Sizing: Most said "True to size" - I suppose that means go with whatever most of your shoes are. How to choose between dress shoe size and sneaker size? If you are going to wear thick wool socks definately go with the larger size. I'm going to try my dress shoe size first since I won't be trudging them through snow with thick socks.

- The pics on page 1 of this thread had an application of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP.

- They slip on ice.

- They come "distressed" in appearance and every time you touch it leaves a mark (similiar to suede.) If you apply Obenaufs or sno seal they will darken a bit and leave a uniform appearance. Here is a picture straight out of the box. The owner stated the picture was in bright sun and didn't appear THAT distressed in normal lighting. After applying Obenaufs LP & water seal it turned into a nice uniform
    reddish/brown.

Fuck, maybe I should've just started a "LL Bean Katahdin" thread. I just don't want to be called a special flower.

[​IMG]

Can you please post a pic wearing jeans with these?

6. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

7. rapefruit

rapefruit Senior member

8. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Thanks, but I did specify I would like to see HIS pictures.

Right, I guess HIS will look different? Considering not all of us are able or willing to post pictures upon request, sometimes it's best to also search around for the alternative. I believe there may also be another picture of a member wearing them with jeans so if you search around you might find it. Otherwise, assuming you wanted an idea of what these would like paired with jeans in general, you have a start. Good luck on your special quest.

9. Vernon-Dozier

Just got my Katahdins today. I ordered the size 11 and 10.5 and found the 10.5 slightly better overall. This is my dress shoe and Clark DB size but the boots are very snug. If I were to wear thick winter socks the 11 would be better. Unfortunately though I have to return them, the glue around one of the toe caps wasn't cleaned off very well and when I pressed on the top of the shoe there is separation in the cap area - pretty sloppy construction. The other 3 shoes were fine and did not have this problem.

They came out of the box looking pretty scuffed up, just like the picture on the last page showed. Not a big problem since it's been said that Obenaufs fixes that issue. Before I purchased I didn't like the bottom eyelets which are not the traditional round. However in person I like it the way they are, the brass is rustic and manly looking so it's ok. Comfort was ok but needs a little breaking in. I like the style overall, looked pretty good with jeans but I might not need them afterall since I just ordered the Wolverine Montgomery's. Hopefully they are as good as I'm expecting with no defects.

10. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

How 'bout these. [​IMG] I think I might like them even better than last year's.

11. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

definitely not feeling those at all.

12. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Zippers on shoes just looks weird to me.

13. splattered

splattered Senior member

H! I think those are freaking awesome... what are they? [​IMG]

***Nice Collective

A bit pricey but i really dig em.

Out of my price range unfortunately.

14. ssnyc

ssnyc Senior member

15. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

^They look as cheaply made and mass-produced as they are.

16. Nil

Nil Senior member

I saw those in person at a Nordstrom's Rack. Avoid at all costs. They look and feel very shitty and cheap.

17. Vernon-Dozier

Just got my Katahdins today. I ordered the size 11 and 10.5 and found the 10.5 slightly better overall. This is my dress shoe and Clark DB size but the boots are very snug. If I were to wear thick winter socks the 11 would be better. Unfortunately though I have to return them, the glue around one of the toe caps wasn't cleaned off very well and when I pressed on the top of the shoe there is separation in the cap area - pretty sloppy construction. The other 3 shoes were fine and did not have this problem.

They came out of the box looking pretty scuffed up, just like the picture on the last page showed. Not a big problem since it's been said that Obenaufs fixes that issue. Before I purchased I didn't like the bottom eyelets which are not the traditional round. However in person I like it the way they are, the brass is rustic and manly looking so it's ok. Comfort was ok but needs a little breaking in. I like the style overall, looked pretty good with jeans but I might not need them afterall since I just ordered the Wolverine Montgomery's. Hopefully they are as good as I'm expecting with no defects.

Just an update: After trying a couple things (and failing) to get the dried glue off around the toe cap I went to the shoe store and bought a suede bar. This is basically like a pencil eraser but is bigger and harder to buff off stains and things that are stuck on suede without ruining the material. This ended up working like a charm, it took about 20 minutes working very slowly but the boots are good as new.

There is still a bit of separation on the sides of the toe cap where they didn't even bother putting glue. However, since the cap is double stitched I think it will be ok. I checked the other 3 shoes and if you press all the way around the toe cap they also separate in the same area but not quite as much as mine did.

Still some pretty lazy construction on their part, but I guess for $160 you can't expect perfection. I'll try to get some before & after Obenauf treatment pics next week.

18. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

Katahdins are leather, not suede right?

19. Vernon-Dozier

Katahdins are leather, not suede right?

Correct.

20. CyanideDragon

CyanideDragon Well-Known Member