• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter boots that aren't ugly

Lollie

Reaction score
Are there any hiking boots that both look nice and can be used for walking in bad weather (snow,ice)? Thinking Diemme, Fracap, Paraboot etc maybe? Would love to read some feedback/suggestions.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my blundstone 63 came in today, TTS is too big, I need to size down at least 1/2, otherwise they seem pretty solid, chunky looking from the side but okay from the top.

Last edited:

pasteurisation

Reaction score
I have UGG polson and my feet are wet. They are supposed to be waterproof though. I'm very disappointed.

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
So many dark boots. Any ideas for something beige/off-white?

Last edited:

thebunk

Reaction score
Hey folks.

I live in Eastern Canada and those living or familiar with the weather in Boston of late can relate to the same type of winters we get (though this year is even atypical for us).

I am looking recommendations on a brogue\wingtip style scotchgrain \ pebble type of boot with a good sole that can perhaps hold up to the trek down a snow and salt laden sidewalk or road. Does anyone have any recommendations? Essentially looking for something that I can wear with tweed or flannel pants and sports coat but functionally works as well.

Thanks in advance!

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am looking recommendations on a brogue\wingtip style scotchgrain \ pebble type of boot with a good sole that can perhaps hold up to the trek down a snow and salt laden sidewalk or road. Does anyone have any recommendations?

AS Hannover
http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/c...asc/products/alfred-sargent-exclusive-hanover

thebunk

Reaction score
Those Alfred Seargents fit the bill exactly! Thank you so much.

Now the next question....can anyone comment on the sizing vs. that of an Alden Barrie? I take 9.5 in the Barrie have issues with lasts that are too narrow.

Thanks again!

Trit

Reaction score

I'm wearing Grenson Sharp boots in Halifax and they're holding up well despite the calamity out there. Interestingly the water and salt have really smoothed out the pebble grain effect in the leather. I never knew that could happen. I think one of the tricks if you're going to wear fashion boots as winter boots is to get something with a high enough tread to keep you out of the water as much as possible. Commando soles aren't going to cut it. I thought these Dsquared2's were awesome but they were too pricey.

Last edited:

thebunk

Reaction score

I'm wearing Grenson Sharp boots in Halifax and they're holding up well despite the calamity out there. Interestingly the water and salt have really smoothed out the pebble grain effect in the leather. I never knew that could happen. I think one of the tricks if you're going to wear fashion boots as winter boots is to get something with a high enough tread to keep you out of the water as much as possible. Commando soles aren't going to cut it. I thought these Dsquared2's were awesome but they were too pricey.

Very nice.

Did you get those locally? I will be in Halifax in a few months and am ok with buying something offseason as long as I can try on in person.

Also going to be in London ( West End) in March so may try to try on some Crockets and AF while there.

Trit

Reaction score
Nah, there's nothing in Halifax, as far as I know. Got them off ssense.

super1flavor

Reaction score
This topic continues to be my #1 conundrum. Something I grapple with almost daily for 3 months (or from the moment snow or ice hits the ground -- along with the salt, to the time its gone). In New York, this issue in my opinion is only exacerbated by the fact that anything more than a standard dress boot and you look severely out of place. I know someone mentioned far back in this thread about Chippewa with lug soles and I thought about that for a while. Funny enough my concerns were proven correct when some other guy wore a similar style pair to a meeting recently and comments were made about coming right from the construction site. Immediately nixed that idea from my head.

Laced boots (anything more than 2 or 3 eyelets) just seem totally unrealistic in wet weather and fumbling with wet laces and in the cold nonetheless, is just aggravating.

I thought this was a terrific example of what I am referring too. Most men believe it or not, forego proper winter shoes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/fashion/bill-cunningham-mens-winter-wear.html?_r=0

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads