1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Winter boots that aren't ugly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by brad-t, Nov 30, 2010.

1. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Those Alfred Seargents fit the bill exactly! Thank you so much.

Now the next question....can anyone comment on the sizing vs. that of an Alden Barrie? I take 9.5 in the Barrie have issues with lasts that are too narrow.

Thanks again!

2. Trit

Trit Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm wearing Grenson Sharp boots in Halifax and they're holding up well despite the calamity out there. Interestingly the water and salt have really smoothed out the pebble grain effect in the leather. I never knew that could happen. I think one of the tricks if you're going to wear fashion boots as winter boots is to get something with a high enough tread to keep you out of the water as much as possible. Commando soles aren't going to cut it. I thought these Dsquared2's were awesome but they were too pricey.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Very nice.

Did you get those locally? I will be in Halifax in a few months and am ok with buying something offseason as long as I can try on in person.

Also going to be in London ( West End) in March so may try to try on some Crockets and AF while there.

4. Trit

Trit Senior member

Nah, there's nothing in Halifax, as far as I know. Got them off ssense.

5. super1flavor

super1flavor Senior member

This topic continues to be my #1 conundrum. Something I grapple with almost daily for 3 months (or from the moment snow or ice hits the ground -- along with the salt, to the time its gone). In New York, this issue in my opinion is only exacerbated by the fact that anything more than a standard dress boot and you look severely out of place. I know someone mentioned far back in this thread about Chippewa with lug soles and I thought about that for a while. Funny enough my concerns were proven correct when some other guy wore a similar style pair to a meeting recently and comments were made about coming right from the construction site. Immediately nixed that idea from my head.

Laced boots (anything more than 2 or 3 eyelets) just seem totally unrealistic in wet weather and fumbling with wet laces and in the cold nonetheless, is just aggravating.

I thought this was a terrific example of what I am referring too. Most men believe it or not, forego proper winter shoes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/fashion/bill-cunningham-mens-winter-wear.html?_r=0

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  6. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

I've just placed the order. Hope these will let me stop looking for another pair of winter boots.

BTW, UGGs are definitely not for Canadian weather. My Polson is dead after 1 season and a half. Their customer services are terrible too.
    [​IMG]

7. Trit

Trit Senior member

Regarding laces, I just use stretchy ones from the local sport shop. No one can tell them apart and I don't have to lace anything.

8. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior member

I've been having a hard time with this as well.

I did buy a pair of Pikolinos casual boota this winter that have not held up.

Was thinking of the Jcrew RedWing Wabasha.

I wish that Merrell would jump into the more fashionable side of Mens winter boots. They have some fashionable winter boots for women, just not men for whatever reason.

9. Uli Kunkel

Uli Kunkel Well-Known Member

I want to thank the people who helped me. I'm giving ups to every post

Here were my selections:

Trail hiking snow boot: Hanwag Ivalo ($80)

[​IMG]

Daytime casual wear: Hanwag Grunten Winter $250)

[​IMG]

Late fall/early spring boot: Vass scotch grain high boots ($500 ebay)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am speculative of the Vass because despite avoiding salt the laces alone are destroying the grain leather color... Is this normal?

I found the Hoggs boots I originally requested details about. Would love to own these next Fall.

10. Uli Kunkel

Uli Kunkel Well-Known Member

Hoggs of Fife Rannoch Veldtschoen boots

[​IMG]

11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

resurrecting this because it's wet and slushy outside. Thinking about timbs. Any cool new options?

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior member

I ordered a pair of Waxed Flesh boots to finally be rid of this issue.

My only trepidation is that I have not yet figured out how best to maintain the wax, but I have not received them yet.

Hopefully my feet wont sweat too bad in them indoors.

14. gong

gong Senior member

need options as well, don't want timbs

15. accordion

accordion Senior member

Has anyone tried these Heschungs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. BryanW

BryanW Member

hahaa omg they look great!:nodding:

17. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

Try the Red Wing Icecutters.

18. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Senior member

It's getting to be that time soon ;)

Anyone know what boots this guy is wearing or something that looks similar?

[​IMG]

19. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Acne from a few years ago iirc, there was a pair on grailed for quite a while

Relevant to the thread, I've finally gotten myself some Dr Martens Arthur for winter, to be worn with wool socks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Senior member

thanks, if anyone knows the product name that'd be great, gonna keep my eye out on ebay, etc.